or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Outlets/Thrifting in Korea
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Outlets/Thrifting in Korea

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Thoughts on discount shopping/thrifting in S. Korea (Seoul and Chuncheon area)? I'll be heading out there for a few weeks in May.

Previous threads talk about major shopping areas (Myeong-dong, etc) but it's been my experience that retail tends to be higher there than in the States. I've been to one outlet mall back in 2005 (I don't remember where it was but it had a Le Coq Sportif) and it wasn't anything to write home about.

Found this: http://www.premiumoutlets.co.kr (which looks like a Chelsea Premium Outlet mall) and this: www.nanumistore.org (which supposedly means there are Salvation Army thrift stores). Anyone have experience with either? Or other leads?
post #2 of 13
There's always Namdaemun and Dongdaemun. Lots of stores around there. Haggling is always necessary. Things aren't as cheap as they used to be, anywhere you go.
post #3 of 13
Myeong Dong isn't good for buying cheap clothes, but Dong Dae Mun is. The only place you really need to go.
post #4 of 13
look for cheilmojik (제일모직) factory outlets. i've been to one in kumi near daegu, I know there's a few more elsewhere.

pretty nice fabrics for domestic made knits, suits. i have a korean made pal zileri knit that's quite nice for what i paid.
post #5 of 13
It's all about the Boon the Shop outlet in Yoju

And take some time exploring the small botiques around Daehangno and Samchongdong areas - the clothing there might still be overpriced, but you'll find some interesting vintage and brick-n-mortar stores hidden in the strangest places with some good deals compared to department stores. Plus, it'll be a fun way to spend an afternoon.
post #6 of 13
I used to frequent Dongdaemun quite often, but I am souring on it these days. The quality is really poor, the sizes are limited (if you wear a large t-shirt in American sizes you'll be lucky to find much that fits. If you wear an XL, I doubt you'll find anything), and all of the shops carry almost exactly the same items. These days I am buying more quality pieces and looking for uniqueness. Of course, if you're not going to be in country very long, Dongdaemun might be a good option as you won't see 1,000 other people wearing the same shirt as you on the street. I do know there is a Salvation Army on the northern side of Hye-hwa, just west of the rotary. It's really small, and easy to miss. Also, I've heard rumor of a Salvation Army on the southern side of Namdaemun. I haven't been there myself, but my previous roommates used to go there and found some good pieces. If you have time, I recommend checking out the Hongdae area in the daytime. There aren't that many men's shops, but I find them to be a bit more unique than Dongdaemun, but also a bit pricier. Hopefully others will chip in with their thoughts on the Hongdae area. Finally, a big +1 on the Samchongdong area mentioned by Humperdink.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humperdink View Post
It's all about the Boon the Shop outlet in Yoju

And take some time exploring the small botiques around Daehangno and Samchongdong areas - the clothing there might still be overpriced, but you'll find some interesting vintage and brick-n-mortar stores hidden in the strangest places with some good deals compared to department stores. Plus, it'll be a fun way to spend an afternoon.

I really like daehangno as an area to meet people and drink, but where do you find mens clothing here? I've seen loads of small boutiques with pretty nice looking womens wear, though.

Care to elaborate on Boon the Shop?

I'm starting to think that Seoul is an overprice fashion wasteland. Guess the only things to do here is get drunk, chase k beezies and study? :/
post #8 of 13
I'm wondering about daehagno too. I live about five minutes from there and have never seen any interesting men's clothing shops there.

I've seen the salvation army shop plenty of times and it is really tiny. From the street it has never seemed interesting enough to go into. The racks and bins they have outside on the street are always filled with junk.
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty02guns View Post
I'm wondering about daehagno too. I live about five minutes from there and have never seen any interesting men's clothing shops there.

I've seen the salvation army shop plenty of times and it is really tiny. From the street it has never seemed interesting enough to go into. The racks and bins they have outside on the street are always filled with junk.

Agreed on this entire post. Given the size of the shop, I can imagine that if anything of quality did manage to make it into that Salvation Army, it would be gone in the blink of an eye. Have you been to the other shop on the southern side of Namdaemun?
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaraque View Post
Thoughts on discount shopping/thrifting in S. Korea (Seoul and Chuncheon area)? I'll be heading out there for a few weeks in May.

Previous threads talk about major shopping areas (Myeong-dong, etc) but it's been my experience that retail tends to be higher there than in the States. I've been to one outlet mall back in 2005 (I don't remember where it was but it had a Le Coq Sportif) and it wasn't anything to write home about.

Found this: http://www.premiumoutlets.co.kr (which looks like a Chelsea Premium Outlet mall) and this: www.nanumistore.org (which supposedly means there are Salvation Army thrift stores). Anyone have experience with either? Or other leads?


Such a very amazing link!
Thanks you for the post.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
I think I have an idea of what Boon the Shop is all about; a Korean boutique stocking various designers that has an outlet in Yoju (like a Kitson or Fred Segal in LA, right?). Makes me wonder if the prices would be worthwhile, even at the outlet. A friend said that the Yoju outlets were more expensive and worse than the equivalent in the US (Chelsea Premium Outlets). But they also said that I'd want to shop in Apkujongdong which, frankly, looks and is described like Melrose (i.e. big time designers at MSRP). The suggestions for Hongdae and Samchongdong were great. Poking around online lead me to this page which seems like a reasonable outline for the shopping in Seoul. So, I guess this and seeing what Uniqlo is like in Asia. Anything else?
post #12 of 13
Apgujeong is really hit or miss for me. While the Galleria is fine, it's just a typical shopping mall. In the past, it was a cut above the rest, but these days the other department stores (Lotte and Sinsaegae) have really narrowed the gap.

The streets just across from Galleria can be good shopping, but I find them really hit or miss. It's mostly dominated by women's shops (not a surprise) with a few men's shops sprinkled in. While I do usually find somewhat unique pieces there, I think the prices are much too high. Essentially, because those shop owners have high overhead due to the cost in just renting their space, that cost is passed along to the customer. That is, the cost of the clothing isn't related to the quality or design of the clothing.

However, the areas definitely deserves to be checked out. Depending on the time you go there, you'll have a great time just walking on the streets. The women all make an effort to look their best for an afternoon of shopping in Apgujeong. But, it's not an area to spend a night of drinking (if that's also on the agenda). The area basically becomes a ghost town at around 11:00 pm.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Room View Post
I really like daehangno as an area to meet people and drink, but where do you find mens clothing here? I've seen loads of small boutiques with pretty nice looking womens wear, though.

Care to elaborate on Boon the Shop?

I'm starting to think that Seoul is an overprice fashion wasteland. Guess the only things to do here is get drunk, chase k beezies and study? :/


Agree with you here. As with everyone, it's really a hit and miss and you seriously have to go trolling through a lot of bad stuff to find a gem. But depending on the day and company, it can be fun. I find looking for mens clothes more difficult. But since I get most of my clothes tailored, it doesn't bother me too much. Uniqlo for general staples since stuff there actually goes on sale.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Outlets/Thrifting in Korea