or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion - Page 88

post #1306 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranker View Post
absolute effing shit. I bought 3 shirts from their final sale. Maybe I'm spoiled from purchasing higher end designer shirts... but no collar stays, i'm swimming in an XS in all places except the neck, and the shirt just feels raggity.

Perhaps you should purchase from the children's line because most people on here that are of a very slight figure find the extra small to fit small. What is your weight and height if you don't mind me asking?

The secret wash shirts aren't suppose to have the starchy feel that your typical collared shirt with collar stays. The purpose of the wash is to make them soft and comfortable and offer a casual relaxed look that looks better with the rinkles. Some of them do feel a little thin but from my experience this doesn't inhibit their wear. Again, the purpose of these secret wash shirts is to provide a comfortable casual appearance. You can't really do that with a heavy thick material. It just wouldn't drape the same.

I know J. Crew gets a bad rap on here from time to time but to be honest they have some pretty decent staple items that are good for supplementing your wardrobe. Not to mention their collaboration items recently have been pretty classy.
post #1307 of 2686
For the first time ever, "classy" and j. crew in the same sentence.
post #1308 of 2686
i am thinking about these shoes, may give a go
post #1309 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by about11oclock View Post
For the first time ever, "classy" and j. crew in the same sentence.

Would you not refer to Quoddy as a "classy" company? They've been hand made in America for 105 years now.

I'm fairly certain that Alden has always been considered the American standard for shoes.

Belstaff is also a very old company that demands a significant amount of praise.

Not to mention Red Wing....

Yes I say J. Crew's collaborations have been classy. My point is that while J. Crew is not on the same level as Gitman or Band of Outsiders, they should still be recognized for what they are: a lower price point item with an above average quality for their price. (except for the outrageous reconstructed chinos and other items they have lost their head with)
post #1310 of 2686
the university coat has a slim cut now hmm
post #1311 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvoc View Post
you will literally be slipping all over the place with the crepe sole on clarks and desert boots...at least i have in rain...not even a suede problem as much of a traction problem.

I wear them in the rain and snow with no problem.
post #1312 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2_hennessy View Post
I was browsing the J. Crew site today on a whim and saw this:



What the fuck.

I like them. But they're way overpriced. I understand the main difference (from, say, the 373 model you can buy at Sears) is that they are all-suede (whereas the 373s have some mesh). But still, come on.

So, inspired by this look, I went to Sears the other day and picked up some very nice all-blue NBs for under $50.

& btw... Sears has great prices right now on Levis jeans. I picked up dark rinse 514s for 29 bucks and some colored (khaki, grey) 505s for cheap too.
post #1313 of 2686
In my experience New Balance are some of the more expensive sneakers out there, with pricing over $100 being quite common.

I think those New Balances look fine, and while $85 might be a more appropriate price point, I'll probably be passing on these unless they go down in price significantly. I prefer grey NBs anyways.
post #1314 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPO89 View Post
Would you not refer to Quoddy as a "classy" company? They've been hand made in America for 105 years now.

I'm fairly certain that Alden has always been considered the American standard for shoes.

Belstaff is also a very old company that demands a significant amount of praise.

Not to mention Red Wing....

Yes I say J. Crew's collaborations have been classy. My point is that while J. Crew is not on the same level as Gitman or Band of Outsiders, they should still be recognized for what they are: a lower price point item with an above average quality for their price. (except for the outrageous reconstructed chinos and other items they have lost their head with)

J. Crew doesn't "collaborate" in the agreed upon sense of the word. Two labels/brands collaborate when they each bring something to the table in terms of design, fabric, history, etc. J. Crew just finds niche brands and whores them out to the masses. What exactly does J. Crew bring to the table? Access to larger markets and corporate influence.

The quality issues folks had w/ Alden Indys for J. Crew are well-documented. Good for Alden for selling them their seconds at a good price.

Last, your claim that J.Crew has above-average quality for its price is false. My uniqlo wool sweaters are better made than J. Crew's Maybe, if there clothes ever went on sale they would be worth it at 30% off or more. However, their shirts at $60-$70 are a joke. Shopping around for sales and using Gilt can get you much more bang for your dollar.
post #1315 of 2686
11 o'cock, I take it you're not a fan of J. Crew in general, then?
post #1316 of 2686
The only thing I will give them is that they are definitely head and shoulders above the Gap, BR, ON triad of evil garbage. I'm put off, living in NYC, by their attempts to look like a boutique brand, ala "The Men's Store" on Prince with its vintage lettering and downtown location. They need to stick to malls so I don't ever have to see one.
post #1317 of 2686
Okay. So you just sort of want to come in and piss on the J. Crew thread, basically.
post #1318 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by about11oclock View Post
I'm put off, living in NYC, by their attempts to look like a boutique brand
Lol, piss off. Most people do not live in NY or have access to interesting b&m stores.
post #1319 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPO89 View Post
Perhaps you should purchase from the children's line because most people on here that are of a very slight figure find the extra small to fit small. What is your weight and height if you don't mind me asking?

The secret wash shirts aren't suppose to have the starchy feel that your typical collared shirt with collar stays. The purpose of the wash is to make them soft and comfortable and offer a casual relaxed look that looks better with the rinkles. Some of them do feel a little thin but from my experience this doesn't inhibit their wear. Again, the purpose of these secret wash shirts is to provide a comfortable casual appearance. You can't really do that with a heavy thick material. It just wouldn't drape the same.

I know J. Crew gets a bad rap on here from time to time but to be honest they have some pretty decent staple items that are good for supplementing your wardrobe. Not to mention their collaboration items recently have been pretty classy.

I'm 5'8, 150lbs. 37" chest, 30" waist. Maybe the shitty quality control may have led to either the super tight you guys have purchased or the tents I've purchased, but the stupid sizing is what it is. The arms, have you seen the arms? I never complained about the wrinkles as I figured that's the gimmick they were trying to sell. The shirting material is too thin. The buttons are made of cheap plastic. (1 of which has broken within first wash)

I gave them an honest try after hearing all the fan boys rejoice and bought a ton of stuff this season and have been disappointed with everything except the 484 slim fit cords. You seem to be in love with J Crew. I find it humorous that you call them "above average quality".
post #1320 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranker View Post
I'm 5'8, 150lbs. 37" chest, 30" waist. Maybe the shitty quality control may have led to either the super tight you guys have purchased or the tents I've purchased, but the stupid sizing is what it is. The arms, have you seen the arms? I never complained about the wrinkles as I figured that's the gimmick they were trying to sell. The shirting material is too thin. The buttons are made of cheap plastic. (1 of which has broken within first wash)

I gave them an honest try after hearing all the fan boys rejoice and bought a ton of stuff this season and have been disappointed with everything except the 484 slim fit cords. You seem to be in love with J Crew. I find it humorous that you call them "above average quality".

What's your point? That you tried J. Crew shirts and don't like them and won't buy them again? Great. So... We're supposed to care because...?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion