or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Have Men become wussies around women?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have Men become wussies around women? - Page 3

post #31 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by stach
Does this really happen? I've never heard of it.
Apparently, it's being encouraged in Germany.
post #32 of 73
Thread Starter 
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/02300...th_key=0230030

The movie Bedazzled with hottie Liz Hurley talks about the balance between being sensitive yet being a man of action. There is a balance in all seriousness.

Should men still be able to cry or is that fem?

I still don't think men should cry. Be a freaking man. Deal with it. What does crying solve anyway? Drama is not masculine.
post #33 of 73
slightly off topic: i have never been married, and the way i have seen my friends change after marriage really makes me think it's not for me. they have all become slaves to their wives' desires, and especially when it comes to big decisions (where to live, when to get married, when to buy a house, etc...), i feel that they are living their wives' lives, not their own. i can say this about every married friend i have. this not as true, however, for the older married men i know, though it still applies somewhat.
post #34 of 73
That's interesting, because the stereotype is that women look for a man to take care of them. There might be just as many men who are looking for women to take care of them.
post #35 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/02300...th_key=0230030

The movie Bedazzled with hottie Liz Hurley talks about the balance between being sensitive yet being a man of action. There is a balance in all seriousness.

Should men still be able to cry or is that fem?

I still don't think men should cry. Be a freaking man. Deal with it. What does crying solve anyway? Drama is not masculine.





To weep is to make less the depth of grief. -Shakespeare


Would you cry if your parents died? I guess my point is there's a time and a place to do anything. People crying because they are oversensitive or manipulative. I guess that's different.

Drama is definitely not masculine.
post #36 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph


Nah! I have a friend going thru a divorce. Crying me a river
Lesson Learned from friend:
Just don't get married to the wrong girl without a prenup.

I do think some men are wussies and are "Yes, honey, whatever you say" a bit too much to where it's quite unappealing.
I think you can safely shorten that lesson to: "Don't marry the wrong girl."
post #37 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionology
Men are often too much wussies when it comes to home decorating. They pull the "you take care of it" and then the house ends up with doilies, floral wallpaper, and shams....ugh.
Is that being a wussie or not giving a shit? When I have a real preference I express it. But there are lots of household decor and similar things that matter greatly to my wife but not at all to me. Sometimes she's looking for feedback and gets quite annoyed that I don't have a preference or opinion. Am I more of a wussie for saying I don't care what color tile we use for the kitchen counter, or would I be more of a wussie for pretending to have an opinion about something I'm truly indifferent to just because I wanted her to think I was "interested"?
post #38 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tck13
To weep is to make less the depth of grief. -Shakespeare


Would you cry if your parents died? I guess my point is there's a time and a place to do anything. People crying because they are oversensitive or manipulative. I guess that's different.

Drama is definitely not masculine.
Guess it depends on how broad or narrow a definition of "drama" you use. Just about every time I play pick-up basketball, some wannabe macho guy starts picking a fight or at least becoming verbally abusive with somebody else about a foul call or something. Isn't that "drama"? And you're probably right that crying doesn't "solve" anything, other than perhaps the need for some emotional catharsis or relief. But what is "solved" by more stereotypically masculine behaviors like aggressiveness or violence?
post #39 of 73
In a word, "yes"

To the extent that some of my friends didn't "get" this line from Old School:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank: I told my wife I wouldn't drink tonight. Besides, I got a big day tomorrow. You guys have a great time.

College Student: A big day? Doing what?

Frank: Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.
post #40 of 73
I mock my married friends with that exchange all the time
post #41 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger02
I mock my married friends with that exchange all the time

Ferrell's emphasis on the last word ("tiiime") is high art.
post #42 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Is that being a wussie or not giving a shit? When I have a real preference I express it. But there are lots of household decor and similar things that matter greatly to my wife but not at all to me. Sometimes she's looking for feedback and gets quite annoyed that I don't have a preference or opinion. Am I more of a wussie for saying I don't care what color tile we use for the kitchen counter, or would I be more of a wussie for pretending to have an opinion about something I'm truly indifferent to just because I wanted her to think I was "interested"?

Depends on the person. Some men are too much of a wussie to stand up to their wife, who sees it her sworn duty to decorate the house.

Some men, such as my father, care less about the decorating because it doesn't interest him. Only when he sees something he disaproves of does he ever speak his mind.

Then there are the men such as myself who think that if you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house it had better look, function, and be organized how you want it. I have nothing against compromise but it will be a cold day in hell before I ever let my wife dictate my house decor.

I just don't understand how someone who pays the mortgage each month can not care about the place he is spending all this money on and at the end of the day having to come home to girly paradise.
post #43 of 73
edit: can I delete this post?
post #44 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by visionology
Then there are the men such as myself who think that if you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a house it had better look, function, and be organized how you want it. I have nothing against compromise but it will be a cold day in hell before I ever let my wife dictate my house decor.

I just don't understand how someone who pays the mortgage each month can not care about the place he is spending all this money on and at the end of the day having to come home to girly paradise.

No kidding. I would go insane.
post #45 of 73
I have two words for you TOM LEYKIS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Have Men become wussies around women?