or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Duncan Quinn LA store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Duncan Quinn LA store - Page 2

post #16 of 33
Not sure where Dunc would be without RJ... Although one could argue he is like the love child of RJ and Boateng... ...with Paul Smith as the godfather
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman
Not sure where Dunc would be without RJ... Although one could argue he is like the love child of RJ and Boateng... ...with Paul Smith as the godfather
I would go as far as the idiot bastard son
post #18 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchapel
Are the prices in the store inline with the prices on his web site?

in store prices are the same as online. I'll wait til they have a big sale before spending much $ there, as I've never paid full price for any of my DQ so why start now.

Luc & RJ, yea his stuff isnt so much retro mod as it is more like wannabe-Richard James. In fact, I've seen what appears to be the same shirts by DQ and RJ, just in different colors, at Saks. I wonder if they use the same maker? The suits def have more of of James' style than OZ/PS.

His website says the suits are "made in England", but they're actually made in NYC.
post #19 of 33
*hijack* Is a RJ shirt a good buy or not? Do they size small (can I get away with half size less than what I usually wear)?

thanks
!luc
post #20 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
*hijack* Is a RJ shirt a good buy or not? Do they size small (can I get away with half size less than what I usually wear)?

thanks
!luc

of course RJMan will be the expert in this dept...but RJ shirts I've seen are $295 full retail ($100 right now at Saks) and as I mentioned, this particular one appears to be the exact same product as Quinn's, in terms of fabric and herringbone patterning. If that's the case, I wear a 15 in DQ which is a perfect fit for my 38 chest, 33.5" arm.
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
*hijack* Is a RJ shirt a good buy or not? Do they size small (can I get away with half size less than what I usually wear)?

thanks
!luc

I think they size approrpriately. My RJ shirts aren't at all small. They fit fairly well, if a bit blousy in the arms. They also run about 110 on sale at Barneys. Not sure I'd pay full price for them.
post #22 of 33
Luc --
I don't think I'll be buying more RJ shirts in the future. At his prices, you can now get decent bespoke which would feature almost always better cloth, and certainly better construction and buttons. RJ's shirts were cheaper some years ago before the exchange rate fiasco, and at that time his styles were elegant but very striking -- striped patterns that weren't often seen elsewhere. The quality was OK. At around $200, I sprang for some and bought many others on sale. Nowadays garish striped shirts are everywhere, and RJ has generally incorporated more elegant and subtle designs... but many of those are similar to what much better shirtmakers like Turnbull & Asser put out in similar price ranges and designs. And, of course, two years ago sourcing switched from Britain to Slovakia for his shirts, so his margin must be fantastic now that he's getting almost $300 or more for a shirt.

Great ties, socks, cufflinks and knits though. And I love my RJ wallet.
post #23 of 33
Anyone know anything about Duncan's umbrellas? I have to say I find some of them quite attractive, especially the black one with white piping.
post #24 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by denning
Anyone know anything about Duncan's umbrellas? I have to say I find some of them quite attractive, especially the black one with white piping.

just that they're expensive at $185 ea. I like the way they look too, but I probably need an umbrella 10 days out of the year in LA.
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman
Luc --
I don't think I'll be buying more RJ shirts in the future. At his prices, you can now get decent bespoke which would feature almost always better cloth, and certainly better construction and buttons. RJ's shirts were cheaper some years ago before the exchange rate fiasco, and at that time his styles were elegant but very striking -- striped patterns that weren't often seen elsewhere. The quality was OK. At around $200, I sprang for some and bought many others on sale. Nowadays garish striped shirts are everywhere, and RJ has generally incorporated more elegant and subtle designs... but many of those are similar to what much better shirtmakers like Turnbull & Asser put out in similar price ranges and designs. And, of course, two years ago sourcing switched from Britain to Slovakia for his shirts, so his margin must be fantastic now that he's getting almost $300 or more for a shirt.

Great ties, socks, cufflinks and knits though. And I love my RJ wallet.
Thanks, I'll stear clear

!luc
post #26 of 33
Toni Truant rue Guisarde has or had a good RJ selection -- ties, leathergoods, socks and cufflinks.
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman
Toni Truant rue Guisarde has or had a good RJ selection -- ties, leathergoods, socks and cufflinks.
Given the scoarching heat we are experiencing, I have turtled myself in my apartment and I have refused to take my usual lunch breaks to go shopping for les soldes. My account balance feels so much better! I'll try to give a look though thanks for the tip. !luc
post #28 of 33
I'm a fan of DQ myself. I'm curious where people have purchased his goods. I've got a couple of DQ shirts from Bloomie's (bev center, L.A.)for a significant discount, and contemplated a couple of his ties, but really didn't need to spend $60 for it at the moment.

I just want to know where else I should be looking for DQ when they go on sale, since Bloomie's has a limited selection.
post #29 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I just want to know where else I should be looking for DQ when they go on sale, since Bloomie's has a limited selection.

Saks also carries DQ, right now they are half off the sale price making them about $90....Bloomingdales may or may not carry his line for the fall/winter. Also, his website had a sale on shirts last january that was quite good for the select items on sale.
post #30 of 33
Sounds good. I'll check Saks out either at South Coast or San Diego as I head that way next week.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Duncan Quinn LA store