or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › english shoes quality heirachy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

english shoes quality heirachy - Page 6

post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyboy View Post
I wanted to resurrect this thread because I am looking for a nice boot and am deciding from amongst various english shoe makers. I had originally intended to get a Jodhpur with straps but am open to other styles too. I know C+J are obviously great quality, but what about Barker's, Charles Tyrwhitt (I think these are Loakes?) and Sanders? Any recommendations for a nice jodhpur are welcome as well. C+J pricing on their new boots are a little high, so what is the best option a step down from that?

I was just looking at the CT site, they have some nice models of shoes and seem to have G fits in all sizes, so seem very versatile.

How is the CT quality guys? Is it the standard Loake quality, with more expensive items akin to Loake 1880?
post #77 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyboy View Post
Any recommendations for a nice jodhpur are welcome as well. C+J pricing on their new boots are a little high, so what is the best option a step down from that?

N&L jodhpurs are currently on sale: http://www.newandlingwood.co.uk/product.php?id=439

Andrey
post #78 of 84
I don't rate Tricker's or Loake too much. Church's are brilliant. I have a pair of Chelsea boots on right now and they feel like slippers. They will outlast anything.
Also, why are Oliver Sweeney and Jeffrey West not on these lists?
post #79 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by PairOfDerby's View Post
I don't rate Tricker's or Loake too much. Church's are brilliant. I have a pair of Chelsea boots on right now and they feel like slippers. They will outlast anything.
Also, why are Oliver Sweeney and Jeffrey West not on these lists?

Welcome to the forum. I see you've not been around long...

Tricker's make great value shoes that will last for years. They have a certain style which can be a love or hate thing. As for Loake, the top of the line shoes are also great value.

Church's don't get much love here I'm afraid. They are generally overpriced and over heavy, and beware of polished binder. Oliver Sweeney, from my experience, make poorly made shoes. Jeffrey West are generally too fashion forward for many and the build is unlikely to be any better than Tricker's.

If you're looking for the best shoes for the money, I think C&J lead the pack, closely followed by Cheaney and Tricker's.
post #80 of 84
I understand the difference between C&J and Kenneth Cole, but what determines the difference between EG and C&J
post #81 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by changy View Post
I understand the difference between C&J and Kenneth Cole, but what determines the difference between EG and C&J

Handwork, finishing, lasts, leather that is used, skill of workers, and finally heritage.
post #82 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
I was just looking at the CT site, they have some nice models of shoes and seem to have G fits in all sizes, so seem very versatile.

How is the CT quality guys? Is it the standard Loake quality, with more expensive items akin to Loake 1880?

Loake 1880 is better than CT. CT is corrected grain and the finishing isn't as good. Loake 1880 is also fully lined. I owed a pair of CT shoes years ago that were half lined, which isn't good for a variety of reasons.
post #83 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post
Loake 1880 is better than CT. CT is corrected grain and the finishing isn't as good. Loake 1880 is also fully lined. I owed a pair of CT shoes years ago that were half lined, which isn't good for a variety of reasons.

Ah thanks for your help Patrick. I do love the Loake 1880s that I own
post #84 of 84
Not all CT shoes are inferior quality. Some are just rebadged models from Loake 1880
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › english shoes quality heirachy