or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread - Page 51

post #751 of 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by poly800rock View Post
heading to red medicine tonight. went to spice table last week, was a much better version of street.

Spice Table? Right near Little Tokyo? If it is what I am thinking of, then I always stayed away because the Cuban restaurant that was there before was shitty. Yeah, not the same restaurant but that spot just turned me off. Guess I'll try it now.
post #752 of 2271
Went to Golden State today. took a few pics. It was a decent burger, well balanced and glad it didn't get extremely messy. As I stated I'm just not a fan of the brioche/egg type buns on the burgers but it was a pretty solid burger. Didn't enjoy their potato salad...very bland, I had to add a lot of salt. I still prefer the FO burger though. Maybe I like the juicyness of the burger + Onion compote or the "gourmet" nature of it. X
post #753 of 2271

LL
post #754 of 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xericx View Post
Thoughts on jitlada in hollywood..our any thai in that area .went a few weeks ago. It was good but not mind blowing...some of the renu nakorn/thai nakorn in oc were better.
X

agreed. mussels were good as are the morning glory salad, rice salad, fish kidneys, and fried catfish... but rest are just average. $$$ for what u get too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by poly800rock View Post
t I had no intentions that this was a vietnamese place. it's not. it's more conceptual than it is in reality vietnamese. fuck the haters. yelp is full of wannabe critics who take themselves too seriously. that being said my girl has a shell fish allergy and can't partake in shrimp and crab.

...

a great dining experience. will return.

pork shoulder is LEGIT. the foie gras "bahn mi" is just okay.. but the real bahn mi they have (bar menu) is good. likely the most expensive bahn mi around though at $10. they use bouchon bread haha! i like the sweetbreads in curry there too... everything else is just okay.



Quote:
Originally Posted by CityHunter View Post
Spice Table? Right near Little Tokyo? If it is what I am thinking of, then I always stayed away because the Cuban restaurant that was there before was shitty. Yeah, not the same restaurant but that spot just turned me off. Guess I'll try it now.

get the laksa, fried cauliflower, and lamb belly skewers. rest is just so-so.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pash View Post
NORTHERN THAI:
Spicy BBQ - Hollywood

quoted for truth. this is my favorite khao soi in LA. not as good as Pok Pok in Portland but close...
post #755 of 2271
Take Sushi on Sunset in West Hollywood. They have a crunchy, spicy tuna roll that is ORGASMIC
post #756 of 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoy View Post
quoted for truth. this is my favorite khao soi in LA. not as good as Pok Pok in Portland but close...

spicy bbq's khao soi is a little controversial since they use non-dairy creamer in the broth. i'd recommend pailin instead.
post #757 of 2271
Yeah, I finally got to Jitlada back in January. Morning glory is as good as everyone claims. The food is good and I was really happy with my meal but Thai food personally has never been so good that I've dropped my jaw. And I love Thai food. Like pinoy said, my friend and I ordered a couple of dishes: the jerky, morning glory, pineapple rice, and some chicken dish I'm forgetting right now. Without drinks that came out to around $60 with tip? No, thanks. There are plenty of others spots along Hollywood that are way cheaper and just as good. Poly, what was the sausage like at Currywurst? I feel like it'd get completely drowned in the sauce. Also, if you haven't been to Ricky's tacos on Virgil you're missing out. And call it white-washed hipster and all but Gingergrass as the best pork chops I've ever had. Totally hooked on them. For Brazilian, Tropicalia on Hillhurst is damn delicious although not authentic at all. To mind, most of the "real" Brazilian places I've been to are out on the Westside like on Venice but usually it's pretty home-cooked fare so I'm not sure how much people would really appreciate it if they didn't grow up on it.
post #758 of 2271
Mozza comin to oc baby thanks for the tip kelvy.
post #759 of 2271
Im not nornally the type to bother writing about this kinda shit, but never shop at fred segal 'trend' in santa monica... I was in there about a month ago when i found out they had EG to check out there stock.. I tried on a couple blazers to see if anything stuck out, i didnt buy anything.. Today i go back to pick up some stuff from the tailor at fred segal, who's awesome btw. I stopped back into 'Trend' to try on this andover jacket again i had been thinking about, and when i decided it wasn't for me because the fit was off - the sales dude was like 'how many times are you going to try this on, no more.' i was in there only once before! such a dick
post #760 of 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
spicy bbq's khao soi is a little controversial since they use non-dairy creamer in the broth. i'd recommend pailin instead.

haha yes definitely aware of that... i never said it didn't have possible health effects! :P i still eat it though..

but yes pailin is very good and i've also heard fantastic things about Ochai's khao soi. just don't get anything else there lol
post #761 of 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLotus View Post
Im not nornally the type to bother writing about this kinda shit, but never shop at fred segal 'trend' in santa monica...

I was in there about a month ago when i found out they had EG to check out there stock..
I tried on a couple blazers to see if anything stuck out, i didnt buy anything..

Today i go back to pick up some stuff from the tailor at fred segal, who's awesome btw.
I stopped back into 'Trend' to try on this andover jacket again i had been thinking about, and when i decided it wasn't for me because the fit was off - the sales dude was like 'how many times are you going to try this on, no more.'

i was in there only once before! such a dick

yeah. they always have some weird sales people there (probably the owners, the ones with the eastern euro accents or something?) and they give you the evil eye. kind of like they don't want you in there.
post #762 of 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodini View Post
To mind, most of the "real" Brazilian places I've been to are out on the Westside like on Venice but usually it's pretty home-cooked fare so I'm not sure how much people would really appreciate it if they didn't grow up on it.

I'm assuming you're referring to the Brazilian enclave in Culver City? Some interesting stuff there! Have you tried the brazilian pizza joint? haha!
post #763 of 2271
post #764 of 2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xericx View Post
yeah. they always have some weird sales people there (probably the owners, the ones with the eastern euro accents or something?) and they give you the evil eye. kind of like they don't want you in there.

yes! those are them.. they must be the owners..
its beyond me how they run a seemingly successful business with the way they act...
post #765 of 2271
Owners are russian, ya they're not the best in the customer service department.

FL, you always been in LA?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread