or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread - Page 197

post #2941 of 2982
This thread has died, kinda feel like this whole Forum has too......?

Late here, but Mistral in Sherman Oaks is good, solid french brasserie spot
post #2942 of 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post

This thread has died, kinda feel like this whole Forum has too......?

Late here, but Mistral in Sherman Oaks is good, solid french brasserie spot

I just came back after quite a long time away after a couple of things caught my eye...the emphasis on high quality long lasting things is admirable and needs to be promoted somehow in our disposable world.

post #2943 of 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Damn this thread has died. For those that go to Shunji do you find the omakase prices higher than normal lately? Coming out about $50-75 more than what I have paid in past. Haven't gone in six months or so but last two meals recently were priced higher.

I haven't noticed. Have you tried Takao?
post #2944 of 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevent View Post

Damn this thread has died. For those that go to Shunji do you find the omakase prices higher than normal lately? Coming out about $50-75 more than what I have paid in past. Haven't gone in six months or so but last two meals recently were priced higher.

I found Shunji's dinner omakases to be the most expensive in the city, except for Urasawa which is a different experience. I seem to recall around $375 for Shunji, but I usually tell him to do it up.

I had a lunch omakase, which was much more nigiri based, one piece at a time, and I preferred it, even if it didn't have the high-level artistry that sets his dinners apart. I seem to recall lunch being only half or less the cost of the dinners.

The only thing that compares is Mori, and that's much more subtle in terms of the flavor profile and more for traditionalists/perfectionists. I had a bad experience at Q, which I found overhyped. Tsujki is a solid B+ to A- but I think its reviews are inflated due to the cheap lunch specials. Zo is tasty but its warm-rice, ponzu sauce thing gets old fast, Sasabune is for fatties (which is fine time to time), and Urasawa is best but uncomfortably expensive. His toro is almost unbelievably fatty.

I was never a big Kiriko guy, although I imagine it has a fun, more adventurous vibe to it. I did not see it on the same level as some of the others, such as Shunji and Mori.

Never could do Yamakase, since being an East-Coast guy, the idea of starting dinner at around 9 pm on the West Coast and going on for three hours of eating uni is just a bit much.
post #2945 of 2982
Anyone have price fixe recs? Trying to get dinner + wine pairings for less than $100/person if possible.
Edited by venividivicibj - 10/2/16 at 11:31pm
post #2946 of 2982

Not sure on pricing, but have you tried Maude? I used to live around the corner and the menu always looked amazing. Never tried it unfortunately.

post #2947 of 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post

I found Shunji's dinner omakases to be the most expensive in the city, except for Urasawa which is a different experience. I seem to recall around $375 for Shunji, but I usually tell him to do it up.

I had a lunch omakase, which was much more nigiri based, one piece at a time, and I preferred it, even if it didn't have the high-level artistry that sets his dinners apart. I seem to recall lunch being only half or less the cost of the dinners.

The only thing that compares is Mori, and that's much more subtle in terms of the flavor profile and more for traditionalists/perfectionists. I had a bad experience at Q, which I found overhyped. Tsujki is a solid B+ to A- but I think its reviews are inflated due to the cheap lunch specials. Zo is tasty but its warm-rice, ponzu sauce thing gets old fast, Sasabune is for fatties (which is fine time to time), and Urasawa is best but uncomfortably expensive. His toro is almost unbelievably fatty.

I was never a big Kiriko guy, although I imagine it has a fun, more adventurous vibe to it. I did not see it on the same level as some of the others, such as Shunji and Mori.

Never could do Yamakase, since being an East-Coast guy, the idea of starting dinner at around 9 pm on the West Coast and going on for three hours of eating uni is just a bit much.

Is there anything like Sushi Gen on the Westside?

Sushi compared to price wise.
post #2948 of 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by djblisk View Post

Is there anything like Sushi Gen on the Westside?

Sushi compared to price wise.

Haven't been to Sushi Gen in ages so I don't really know what the benchmark is. But if the general idea is good sushi that won't run you several hundred dollars per person, there are plenty of options on the westside.
I'm a big fan of Shima on Abbot Kinney. A couple of the places on Sawtelle are pretty good.
post #2949 of 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks23 View Post
 

Not sure on pricing, but have you tried Maude? I used to live around the corner and the menu always looked amazing. Never tried it unfortunately.

Its usually good, but Nov/Dec and white/black truffle themed month respectively , so the price is 3x the usual cost (i think its around $350 for Nov/Dec)

 

:fu:

post #2950 of 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post

Haven't been to Sushi Gen in ages so I don't really know what the benchmark is. But if the general idea is good sushi that won't run you several hundred dollars per person, there are plenty of options on the westside.
I'm a big fan of Shima on Abbot Kinney. A couple of the places on Sawtelle are pretty good.

Correct, good sushi that won't run me several hundred per person.

Which ones on Sawtelle?
post #2951 of 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by djblisk View Post

Correct, good sushi that won't run me several hundred per person.

Which ones on Sawtelle?

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mysterious. I just tend to remember the places more my location than name. But I've had good meals at Hide.
I like Bar Hayama, but I'd say the sushi is in the pretty good but nothing special category. It's more that I'm a fan of the overall vibe there, especially if you sit outside on the patio.
post #2952 of 2982

Went to Sweet Hollywood today and got a "Beverly Hills" candy bar (dark/white chocolate with vanilla cream, granola, coconuts, and almonds), one of a series of candy bars named after cities in California.  Took a bite out of it to try it, and then quickly ate the whole thing.  It was very good.

Here's the last known picture of my "Beverly Hills" bar, taken moments before I ate it.  Behind me is a portrait of Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark, made out of Halloween candy.  It's in the Elvira boutique at Sweet Hollywood and is $2000.00.  My candy bar was only $7.99.

post #2953 of 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by djblisk View Post

Correct, good sushi that won't run me several hundred per person.

Which ones on Sawtelle?

In between very affordable and super expensive, I really like Kiriko.
post #2954 of 2982
Not a fan of Hide, I find it a bit dirty/

Will try Bar Hyama and Kiriko.
post #2955 of 2982
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrotius View Post

I found Shunji's dinner omakases to be the most expensive in the city, except for Urasawa which is a different experience. I seem to recall around $375 for Shunji, but I usually tell him to do it up.

I had a lunch omakase, which was much more nigiri based, one piece at a time, and I preferred it, even if it didn't have the high-level artistry that sets his dinners apart. I seem to recall lunch being only half or less the cost of the dinners.

The only thing that compares is Mori, and that's much more subtle in terms of the flavor profile and more for traditionalists/perfectionists. I had a bad experience at Q, which I found overhyped. Tsujki is a solid B+ to A- but I think its reviews are inflated due to the cheap lunch specials. Zo is tasty but its warm-rice, ponzu sauce thing gets old fast, Sasabune is for fatties (which is fine time to time), and Urasawa is best but uncomfortably expensive. His toro is almost unbelievably fatty.

I was never a big Kiriko guy, although I imagine it has a fun, more adventurous vibe to it. I did not see it on the same level as some of the others, such as Shunji and Mori.

Never could do Yamakase, since being an East-Coast guy, the idea of starting dinner at around 9 pm on the West Coast and going on for three hours of eating uni is just a bit much.

Yeah I usually have lunch since my gf doesn't like most of the food served during dinner. Last lunch meal was $300 for 2 for fish which seemed quite a bit more than the normal range. I had it today for lunch and it came out to $210 which was better. Should go to Mori again as it's been a long time since I went.

Flights to Japan dropped to $450 range in January, very tempted to take a weekend trip or two just to eat and order shoes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by djblisk View Post

Correct, good sushi that won't run me several hundred per person.

Which ones on Sawtelle?

Shunji does have 7 or 10 piece plates for $30 or $50 I think? Pretty standard fare but still quality fish. Most of places on sawtelle still end up to be $100ish for two and I don't find myself satisfied after. I haven't eaten at any of those places since 2013 so it may be different now though.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread