or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread - Page 146

post #2176 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post

In LA I've used 3 places.

1. Paul at Wilshire tailors - best recommendation.
2. Abi at Alandales in Culver City - very high quality alterations, but takes his time.
3. Ali at Lizon Tailors - fast turnaround, low prices, decent quality.

Is Paul a bit pricey?

Spent $330 on alterations for two jackets.
post #2177 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Is Paul a bit pricey?

Spent $330 on alterations for two jackets.

There must've been a lot of work done. He's more expensive than drycleaner's alterations, but if you have a decent suit, you need a good tailor to work it.

From my experience, shoes and tailors are two things you should expect to spend money on. Everything else can be bought cheap if it fits you alright.
post #2178 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

any recommendations for a tailor for suit alterations? live in long beach, but willing to go to LA or OC.
i've got a great tailor in long beach. Sandoval's on Seventh Street downtown. Does a great job, relatively quickly at relatively good prices.
post #2179 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post


i've got a great tailor in long beach. Sandoval's on Seventh Street downtown. Does a great job, relatively quickly at relatively good prices.

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acecow View Post


There must've been a lot of work done. He's more expensive than drycleaner's alterations, but if you have a decent suit, you need a good tailor to work it.

From my experience, shoes and tailors are two things you should expect to spend money on. Everything else can be bought cheap if it fits you alright.

Sleeve length altered, some waist suppression, some back fabric taken out. He was very thorough and is a perfectionist. Good for my jacket, bad for my wallet.

post #2180 of 2328
The Dress Code on 26th, just off San Vicente /SM is a good place too.
post #2181 of 2328
Stumbled across a PBS doc on the history of Catalina Island and it's heyday as a resort for Hollywood. I had no idea the Cubs were there either. Not being a resident, what's the situation like now? Is it a place any of you would go?
post #2182 of 2328
I know there are a lot of Los Angeles locals around here. My girlfriend and I are going to be in town Sunday through Thursday before her cousin's wedding in Pebble Beach. We're staying at the SLS. I have a couple questions though regarding visiting, and shopping & dining.

What should we see/do? I imagine there's a ton of good dining and shopping to be done in Beverly Hills, but what do you guys recommend? (Not necessarily in BH either). Right now all we have is reservations for dinner at Nobu on Sunday.

Is a car necessary? As in, do we need to rent one, or would it make more sense to just have a cab/uber take us around?

Anything we absolutely must do while we're here? Both of us like art, so if there's an incredibly good museum or collection around, that would be incredible too, but anything really.

What should I wear while I'm there? Shorts, jeans, tees, button downs, sweaters, sandals, sneakers, boots... what should I pack so as not to stand out while I'm in town?

Thanks in advance.
post #2183 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish View Post

I know there are a lot of Los Angeles locals around here. My girlfriend and I are going to be in town Sunday through Thursday before her cousin's wedding in Pebble Beach. We're staying at the SLS. I have a couple questions though regarding visiting, and shopping & dining.

What should we see/do? I imagine there's a ton of good dining and shopping to be done in Beverly Hills, but what do you guys recommend? (Not necessarily in BH either). Right now all we have is reservations for dinner at Nobu on Sunday.

Is a car necessary? As in, do we need to rent one, or would it make more sense to just have a cab/uber take us around?

Anything we absolutely must do while we're here? Both of us like art, so if there's an incredibly good museum or collection around, that would be incredible too, but anything really.

What should I wear while I'm there? Shorts, jeans, tees, button downs, sweaters, sandals, sneakers, boots... what should I pack so as not to stand out while I'm in town?

Thanks in advance.

Access to a car is required in LA, mass transit/ taxi are not realistic options - unless you plan to stay within a 3-miles radius.
Getty museum and Huntington Library. Laguna beach with its art galleries, probably best in late afternoon, then have dinner at one of the local restaurants watching the sunset.
post #2184 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post

Access to a car is required in LA, mass transit/ taxi are not realistic options - unless you plan to stay within a 3-miles radius.
Getty museum and Huntington Library. Laguna beach with its art galleries, probably best in late afternoon, then have dinner at one of the local restaurants watching the sunset.
first part right, but second part, i'm not so sure about. laguna beach is nice and all but from the sls on a weekend it could be 3 hours each way. matsuhisa is fine, old-school and if you haven't eaten at one of his places, it's good. you've got a really good restaurant right downstairs -- jose andres' place. most of what's on restaurant row there is not good. unless you like lawry's for prime rib (which i do very much). you're also right around the corner from AOC which is kind of classic la now that they've moved into the new space. as far as shopping, you're also right off third street which is pretty cool.
post #2185 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post

Access to a car is required in LA, mass transit/ taxi are not realistic options - unless you plan to stay within a 3-miles radius.
Getty museum and Huntington Library. Laguna beach with its art galleries, probably best in late afternoon, then have dinner at one of the local restaurants watching the sunset.

Agree re the car. I'm not such a fan of the Getty. Beautiful spot, but I find the campus sterile and have generally been underwhelmed by the exhibitions. YMMV of course, and on a nice day it's worth the trip just to have lunch and enjoy the view. The Huntington is great, especially in nice weather. (Skip the high tea, which is crowded and not very good.)

If you're staying at the SLS, you'll be ten minutes from the Los Angeles County Art Museum.

Laguna is super nice, although you'll definitely burn an entire day getting there and back, especially now that the weather is nice.

It's hard to recommend restaurants without some better idea of what you enjoy in terms of cuisine or atmosphere. The range of restaurants is pretty broad.

For a uniquely LA experience, I like the Museum of Jurassic Technology. (The name notwithstanding, it's more a long-running performance art piece than a museum per so.) It's on Venice Boulevard on West LA, so you could easily combine it with a trip down to the Venice Boardwalk, or to Abbot Kinney Blvd. in Venice, which is a popular boutique shopping and restaurant destination. (Promoting my own neighborhood here, so discount appropriately.)
post #2186 of 2328
Krish let me know what free time You have so we can have a smoke
post #2187 of 2328
yes, forgot to mention LACMA. for some reason it gets dissed by some art lovers, but i can spend whole days there. really lovely campus. the japanese hall is terrific. you could actually spend the entire weekend where you are with nothing more than an occasional taxi, between BH, third street, LACMA. and, of course, the farmers market is right htere, too!
post #2188 of 2328
laguna beach has art galleries? seriously the last place I'd go for art. Try culver city, west LA, a few in downtown.
post #2189 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic1 View Post

laguna beach has art galleries?.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #2190 of 2328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic1 View Post

laguna beach has art galleries? seriously the last place I'd go for art. Try culver city, west LA, a few in downtown.

Some of the best galleries there, although I may be influenced by romantic associations.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread