• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Walt Mossberg Raves About the iPad

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...NewsCollection

Quite a glowing review. Tokyo Slim is going to be pissed.
laugh.gif

For the past week or so, I have been testing a sleek, light, silver-and-black tablet computer called an iPad. After spending hours and hours with it, I believe this beautiful new touch-screen device from Apple has the potential to change portable computing profoundly, and to challenge the primacy of the laptop. It could even help, eventually, to propel the finger-driven, multitouch user interface ahead of the mouse-driven interface that has prevailed for decades.

All in all, however, the iPad is an advance in making more-sophisticated computing possible via a simple touch interface on a slender, light device. Only time will tell if it's a real challenger to the laptop and netbook.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really. Walt Mossberg loves all things Apple. I would expect no less from him.

It could be a stone with the Apple logo on it and he'd still rave about how great it is.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
How can you pay that much for something that doesn't let you listen to music while browsing the web - two of the most important things any device like that should be able to do properly.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can do that on the iPhone (and I assume iPod Touch) so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to on the iPad.

Where are you getting this information from?

What you can't do is use a 3rd party program such as Pandora to do this rather than the built-in player. Unless you jailbreak and use backgrounder, that is.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrisjustinparr
How can you pay that much for something that doesn't let you listen to music while browsing the web - two of the most important things any device like that should be able to do properly.

Wrong.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Not really. Walt Mossberg loves all things Apple. I would expect no less from him. It could be a stone with the Apple logo on it and he'd still rave about how great it is.
He does like Apple but he has been lukewarm on several of their products. The claim he makes here is that this is a sea change in computing. That's a pretty good amount of praise. I think what some miss here is the ability for "interactive marketing" through surveys, videos, targeted content, etc. Apple has effectively, like the iPhone, created a platform for consumer sales and data collection. And best of all they own the platform and can lease out space to advertisers and a whole variety of companies.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It is dead to me until it can play flash movies from xvideos while I am in the bathroom.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
It is dead to me until it can play flash movies from xvideos while I am in the bathroom.

do you typically wait until after you void your bowels to make happy time or do you go in with happy time first and then take care of your bathroom business?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Always void the bowels first. Work before pleasure.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a very humorous coincidence, it is end-of-quarter at Dell computer. I just received a "Name your Price" special email for laptop/notebook computers.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
In a very humorous coincidence, it is end-of-quarter at Dell computer. I just received a "Name your Price" special email for laptop/notebook computers.

That is funny. Apple's innovation largely prevents them from competing on price but this device is quite affordable.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Not really. Walt Mossberg loves all things Apple. I would expect no less from him.

He is a fanboy. I don't begrudge him an opinion, but it's wrong.

Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
He does like Apple but he has been lukewarm on several of their products.

This is like claiming that Hososso is lukewarm on some whales. Or that you are somewhat critical of Ronald Reagan. Or that Magician is occasionally antisemitic. I'm sure that there are exceptions to the rule, but he's so biased in his opinion that even when he's trying to do something like praise Windows 7 - he spouts inane Apple garbage in OSX's defense.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Always void the bowels first. Work before pleasure.

You make it sound like a good voiding isn't pleasure. Quite a few folks would probably beg to differ.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
This is like claiming that Hososso is lukewarm on some whales. Or that you are somewhat critical of Ronald Reagan. Or that Magician is occasionally antisemitic. I'm sure that there are exceptions to the rule, but he's so biased in his opinion that even when he's trying to do something like praise Windows 7 - he spouts inane Apple garbage in OSX's defense.

You really have some issues about Apple don't you?
frown.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
You really have some issues about Apple don't you?
frown.gif

You really have some issues with Climate Change, don't you?
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads