or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Federer v. Nadal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Federer v. Nadal - Page 2

post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
From what I can tell, it's a contest to see who can grunt louder. IF I watch, the tv is on mute.

One reason I love Federer is the only sounds on his side of the court are the sonorous pop from his racket, but for a framer, a "come on" and growl here adn there.
post #17 of 42
Was playing tennis yesterday (inspired by the final), and a guy was giving a lesson on the next court. The instructor was grunting every time he made contact. Even for soft returns (it was a lesson, after all). Is this strategy? I only grunt after I hit the ball, when I'm certain it's going out. Or maybe that's a groan.
post #18 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Was playing tennis yesterday (inspired by the final), and a guy was giving a lesson on the next court. The instructor was grunting every time he made contact. Even for soft returns (it was a lesson, after all). Is this strategy? I only grunt after I hit the ball, when I'm certain it's going out. Or maybe that's a groan.

For some people it's a question of maintaining a rythym. I only grunt with excersion, but I haven't played in years.
post #19 of 42
when I played competitively in high school, I know a lot of guys "grunted" because it was a way of maintaining a breathing pattern...basically a way to force yourself to exhale while striking the ball.
post #20 of 42
My fiancee couldn't watch the entire match yesterday--or the French Open final, for that matter--because she thinks Nadal "sounds like he's having sex". She pointed out, though, that the commentators never really mention it when they're talking about the male players, but they won't shut up about the grunting when Sharapova is out there. She thinks it's a bit sexist, and I can't say I disagree. Though it does kind of harsh the Sharapova buzz when she's out there grunting. Maybe if she could learn to sort of moan when she hits the ball instead? Sounding like you're having sex might be a turnoff for the men's game, but in the women's.... Seriously though, the second and third sets of that match were great. Nadal was starting to win me over. I found myself really starting to hope he'd win. Underdogs with heart get me every damn time.
post #21 of 42
Sharapova's Screams Less Sexy When They're Coming from the Crapper



Okay, so there is a practical reason behind the grunting--still seems silly, and it is undeniably distracting.
post #22 of 42
Thread Starter 

Heh. That reminds me of the Monica Seles American Express commercial a few years back.

All they have to do is open up their airways. Sheesh.
post #23 of 42
Well, that makes 4 in a row for Federer. He can tie Bjorn if he wins next year. That's awfully good company. So, he has to be considered among the greatest tennis players.
post #24 of 42
Federer really seems to be on a roll. I don't know much about tennis though, I only noticed the current tournament because that guy from my hometown made it to the semifinals (yes, I am biased )
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalogre
I only noticed the current tournament because that guy from my hometown made it to the semifinals (yes, I am biased )

ah the Cypriot. I actually thought of you when they mentioned where he was from.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Smart
ah the Cypriot. I actually thought of you when they mentioned where he was from.

I had never heard ofg him before the Australian Open, frankly. Funny, he got an exemption from military service due to the tournaments. Bastard
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG
On grass, Federer will walk it.
post #28 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachbeet
Well, that makes 4 in a row for Federer. He can tie Bjorn if he wins next year. That's awfully good company. So, he has to be considered among the greatest tennis players.

It's important to remember that while Borg was winning 5 Wimbledons in a row, he was winning 6 French Opens in a row too. Now that's impressive.
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy
It's important to remember that while Borg was winning 5 Wimbledons in a row, he was winning 6 French Opens in a row too. Now that's impressive.

That's tennis had very little depth back then.
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violinist
That's tennis had very little depth back then.

i dunno about that. It was a different game with more shotmaking than today's game. The increase in racket technology has a big part in effecting how the game is played. I don't even think you can get a true midsize (80-85 sq in) headed racket these days. Go back to wood rackets and it'd be a completely different sport. Does the men's side have much depth today? not really. For once, the women's game is more interesting to watch since there's no clear favorite anymore.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Federer v. Nadal