or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quick Question To Watch Enthusiasts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quick Question To Watch Enthusiasts - Page 2

post #16 of 32
My point, which seems to have passed on without absorption, was why not get something nice, if you are getting a watch from an enthusiasts perspective. He obviously wants something different than some mall quartz watch if he is soliciting the opinions of enthusiasts. Therefore, those pushing him into a Quartz watch are doing him a disservice. He wants to break into the realm of mechanical timepieces.

Mike

p.s. A Quartz watch is, of course, a watch. There are even some worth owning, like the JLC/IWC MecaQuartz movements and the more advanced Citizen Grand Complications...not to mention the very early Quartz watches with high grade Swiss movements, like the first GPs. But, for the most part, they are cheap, mass produced junk.
post #17 of 32
Thread Starter 
With that being said, if anyone is looking to sell a seiko 5, please let me know. Being that this is a lower end watch, would it be acceptable to buy on eBay?
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
My point, which seems to have passed on without absorption, was why not get something nice, if you are getting a watch from an enthusiasts perspective. He obviously wants something different than some mall quartz watch if he is soliciting the opinions of enthusiasts. Therefore, those pushing him into a Quartz watch are doing him a disservice. He wants to break into the realm of mechanical timepieces. Mike p.s. A Quartz watch is, of course, a watch. There are even some worth owning, like the JLC/IWC MecaQuartz movements and the more advanced Citizen Grand Complications...not to mention the very early Quartz watches with high grade Swiss movements, like the first GPs. But, for the most part, they are cheap, mass produced junk.
Straying yet further OT but I can't quite let this pass. There is nothing whatsoever in the OP's post to suggest he "wants to break into the realm of mechanical timepieces" - he wants a nice dress watch. I don't think I'll ever understand this inexplicable disdain for quartz that some watch enthusiasts seem to possess. To suggest that only a few highly complicated or vintage quartz watches are worth an enthusiast owning seems ridiculous to me. Even a perfectly ordinary 2nd generation quartz movement in a nice watch can be appealing with its accuracy and low maintenance; and there are so many non-ordinary quartz watches available! To pick a real world example, at a realistic price point, what is more horologically interesting - yet another unfinished, unmodified, cased 2824 automatic; or Seiko's unique 196kHz quartz 8F with its perpetual calendar and high accuracy? How about the thermocompensated ETA quartz movements fitted to most Breitlings and accurate to within 10 seconds per year? Citizen's A660 that is more accurate still? The Seiko 9F that is built as a hermetically sealed unit for longevity? ... To say that these wonderful quartz timepieces are not to your personal taste - fine, but to suggest they are automatically unappealing to a watch enthusiast does them (and your fellow watch enthusiasts) a disservice.
post #19 of 32
one thing that has always puzzed me on this form, is that i see a lot of people on this form with mtm suits, bespoke shoes etc wearing $100 watch. watches can be very addicting, for a watch nut entry level is around 2000 to 3000 thousand. might sound like a lot to most people but so does a 1500 hundred suit or 1000 dollor pair of shoes. so i say if your going to get a watch go to the watch forums and learn, thats what i did hear to learn about style.
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty View Post
Straying yet further OT but I can't quite let this pass. There is nothing whatsoever in the OP's post to suggest he "wants to break into the realm of mechanical timepieces" - he wants a nice dress watch.

I don't think I'll ever understand this inexplicable disdain for quartz that some watch enthusiasts seem to possess. To suggest that only a few highly complicated or vintage quartz watches are worth an enthusiast owning seems ridiculous to me. Even a perfectly ordinary 2nd generation quartz movement in a nice watch can be appealing with its accuracy and low maintenance; and there are so many non-ordinary quartz watches available!

To pick a real world example, at a realistic price point, what is more horologically interesting - yet another unfinished, unmodified, cased 2824 automatic; or Seiko's unique 196kHz quartz 8F with its perpetual calendar and high accuracy? How about the thermocompensated ETA quartz movements fitted to most Breitlings and accurate to within 10 seconds per year? Citizen's A610 that is more accurate still? The Seiko 9F that is built as a hermetically sealed unit for longevity? ... To say that these wonderful quartz timepieces are not to your personal taste - fine, but to suggest they are automatically unappealing to a watch enthusiast does them (and your fellow watch enthusiasts) a disservice.

i have to disagree i was heavy into the watch game everything from iwc, audemars piguet, panerai to name a few. i even attended quite a few watch gtg and no one would dare every wear a quartz watch unless it was a gshock to cut thegrass. its just the way it is in that world and to tell you the truth there is something to be said about the work that goes into a fine mechancial watch.
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty View Post
Straying yet further OT but I can't quite let this pass. There is nothing whatsoever in the OP's post to suggest he "wants to break into the realm of mechanical timepieces" - he wants a nice dress watch.

I don't think I'll ever understand this inexplicable disdain for quartz that some watch enthusiasts seem to possess. To suggest that only a few highly complicated or vintage quartz watches are worth an enthusiast owning seems ridiculous to me. Even a perfectly ordinary 2nd generation quartz movement in a nice watch can be appealing with its accuracy and low maintenance; and there are so many non-ordinary quartz watches available!

To pick a real world example, at a realistic price point, what is more horologically interesting - yet another unfinished, unmodified, cased 2824 automatic; or Seiko's unique 196kHz quartz 8F with its perpetual calendar and high accuracy? How about the thermocompensated ETA quartz movements fitted to most Breitlings and accurate to within 10 seconds per year? Citizen's A610 that is more accurate still? The Seiko 9F that is built as a hermetically sealed unit for longevity? ... To say that these wonderful quartz timepieces are not to your personal taste - fine, but to suggest they are automatically unappealing to a watch enthusiast does them (and your fellow watch enthusiasts) a disservice.

He said specifically "the starter dress watch for watch enthusiasts." That to me means, "a low priced mechanical dress watch." Since watch "enthusiasts" are not enthusiastic about quartz watches for the most part.

Some of these you have mentioned are worth owning, as are Spring Drive Kinetics, the B&R "bomb squad," which I have always admired for its toughness and appearance, as well as some others. However, when one says "enthusiast" they mean mechanical...unless you a Quartz enthusiast, of which there are some.

Mike
post #22 of 32
Are there any watched in the $100 price range that would work for a guy with really small wrists? I've stayed away from owning watches just because I can't find one that really works with the size of my arm. Just haven't been able to find anything, is the Swatch Auto a big watch?
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1100110 View Post
Are there any watched in the $100 price range that would work for a guy with really small wrists? I've stayed away from owning watches just because I can't find one that really works with the size of my arm. Just haven't been able to find anything, is the Swatch Auto a big watch?

Most vintage watches tend to be smaller. A 36-38mm watch was considered oversized until recently. Now, that is "small." You can find plenty of 30-34mm men's vintage watches that will work for you.

E-Bay.

Mike
post #24 of 32
Any brands to look for/stay away from?
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1100110 View Post
Any brands to look for/stay away from?

It really depends on your needs, uses, price range, snob appeal, etc.
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
He said specifically "the starter dress watch for watch enthusiasts." That to me means, "a low priced mechanical dress watch." Since watch "enthusiasts" are not enthusiastic about quartz watches for the most part.

Some of these you have mentioned are worth owning, as are Spring Drive Kinetics, the B&R "bomb squad," which I have always admired for its toughness and appearance, as well as some others. However, when one says "enthusiast" they mean mechanical...unless you a Quartz enthusiast, of which there are some.

Mike
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree I guess. Though I can't help wondering why one can't just be a watch enthusiast - I like mechanicals too.

Oh, to correct the mistake I just noticed - I meant to say Citizen A660 of course, not A610. Perhaps I was mentally combining it with the E510; another fine high-end quartz movement.
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1100110 View Post
Any brands to look for/stay away from?

Well, the "Big" houses like Patek, Audemars, Vacheron, IWC, Rolex, etc. are still going to be high dollar items.

There are great deals to be had on plenty of good Swiss houses though...Omega, GP, Universal Geneve, etc.

Also, plenty of good deals on the classic American houses, like Hamilton, Bulova, Illinois, Gruen, etc. Those are, for the most part, in-house movements with some of the higher grade stuff from the likes of Hamilton and Illinois being really good stuff with screw set jewels, swan's neck regulators, excellent decoration etc.

Mike
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
Well, the "Big" houses like Patek, Audemars, Vacheron, IWC, Rolex, etc. are still going to be high dollar items.

There are great deals to be had on plenty of good Swiss houses though...Omega, GP, Universal Geneve, etc.

Also, plenty of good deals on the classic American houses, like Hamilton, Bulova, Illinois, Gruen, etc. Those are, for the most part, in-house movements with some of the higher grade stuff from the likes of Hamilton and Illinois being really good stuff with screw set jewels, swan's neck regulators, excellent decoration etc.

Mike

I'd also add to stay away from "fashion" watches. They are expensive and don't offer much past the name and pretty styling. I.e. burberry, gucci, etc.
post #29 of 32
Newbie to the SF but a WIS for a while . Will have to agree that quartz gets a bad rap despite being the movement of some amazing timepieces. Will also have to disagree on a point - the TRUE WIS would know that it doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you wear what you like. (this pertains to watches) and yes this includes quartz movements too. (that being said there are some exceptions to every rule!) looking forward to learning more from you guys! Rich
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBreinin View Post
Well, the "Big" houses like Patek, Audemars, Vacheron, IWC, Rolex, etc. are still going to be high dollar items.

There are great deals to be had on plenty of good Swiss houses though...Omega, GP, Universal Geneve, etc.

Also, plenty of good deals on the classic American houses, like Hamilton, Bulova, Illinois, Gruen, etc. Those are, for the most part, in-house movements with some of the higher grade stuff from the likes of Hamilton and Illinois being really good stuff with screw set jewels, swan's neck regulators, excellent decoration etc.

Mike

A trip to ebay shows that I won't be getting a watch anytime soon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Quick Question To Watch Enthusiasts