or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How do I get drunk and not get fat?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do I get drunk and not get fat? - Page 2

post #16 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse155
Guiness is only 120 calories. It's better than most, and fills you up good.

Guiness fills you up good because it looks like mud in a glass and makes you not wanna eat after

Ha, so they say. I've been drinking Guiness for a couple of years, and let me tell ya, your body adjust to it. I can still do 5-6 Guiness, mix in with shots, and still go out for pizza afterward. And my jeans...

Fuck, that explains it!

I suppose the only way to remediate this effect is to make sure you go home with somebody special everytime you go out. Horizontal gymnastics burn calories like you wouldn't believe.
post #17 of 76
Thread Starter 
interesting thoughts and keep them coming.

I drink socially, so its not a 'lets see how trashed I can get before midnight' thing for me anymore. Those were the days.

On an average night out, Id ease my way through 3 or 4 beers. Not getting drunk, just sit around with friendsclientsanyone. I would say I go out 3 nights a week on average, maybe 4.

Never knew that about Guinness - and surprising actually. Seems counter intuitive since it feels so heavy, so interesting to know. Unfortunately I hate the stuff. But interesting nonetheless.

Light Beers (in the American low cal sense, not the Australian low alcohol sense) are few n far between here - there is a San Miguel Light I could try - may look into it.

One of the huge upshots of beer is its nurse-ability. Can pretty easily make 3 - 4 beers stretch over a couple of hours if I need to. Its easy sippin and Im not coming home shitfaced every second day.

If I switch to the harder stuff - which of course comes in a much smaller glass - Ill just end up drinking way more since a pint of beer is a lot more to work through than a tumbler of base + mixer + ice. Net result, me trashed more often (and this effects us all, since thats when im likely to post the abusive crap that I really think )

How does red wine stack up on my the calorie counter?
post #18 of 76
Matt: wine.

!luc
post #19 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
How does red wine stack up on my the calorie counter?
about 80 for a glass.

!luc
post #20 of 76
Beer is for the plebs. Maybe Chimay or something. No complexity in beer.
But if you're still in college, racing cars, going to tractor pulls, Nascar, wearing Oakley's with suits, then okay drink up. Where's the keg, dude?
post #21 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph
I remeber in college a guy who I trained with who could eat big macs and he would get fat in the face yet would still have a 6 pack ripped. Why? He had amazing fat distribution where very little fat cells were in his abdominal area.

I'd rather have a bit soft around the middle and a chiseled face. You can always do crunches; besides if you dress properly, a bit of soft isn't very noticeable anyway.
post #22 of 76
Personally, I'd just drink whatever beer you like the most. Even if there's some light beer that's marginally more healthy, I'd rather have two good beers vs three light nasty ones. Also, I think for summer a shandy can be quite good - it's a mix of beer and lemonade... not sure if lemonade is actually better for you, but hey.

One trick I use for slowing down consumption: order a chartreuse and ice. It's strong and flavorful, holds up to melting ice, and is virtually impossible to drink quickly. Added bonus: friends will think you are either exceptionally independent, or a mutant.
post #23 of 76
beer is going to make you fat, as you get older. live with it, giving up beer just isn't worth it.
post #24 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Yes, lemonade is actually better for you, but hey.

What he . . . said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
One trick I use for slowing down consumption: order a chartreuse and ice. It's strong and flavorful, holds up to melting ice, and is virtually impossible to drink quickly. Added bonus: friends will think you are either exceptionally independent, or a mutant.

And I thought I was the only one here who appreciated Chartreuse.
post #25 of 76
What Luc said - wine. And then more wine.

Your jeans will still fit, which is a good thing because with all the wine you will be drinking, you won't be able to afford as many new pairs of jeans.

Did I mention Palate Creep? Loosely defined as the incremental cost of each subsequent bottle of wine? Suddenly, you realize that a $40 bottle of wine is your daily bread. 6 months ago, you were satisfied with that $10 bottle.

And you thought your shoe porn problem was expensive......................
post #26 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph
Beer is for the plebs. Maybe Chimay or something. No complexity in beer. But if you're still in college, racing cars, going to tractor pulls, Nascar, wearing Oakley's with suits, then okay drink up. Where's the keg, dude?
Chimay is not the only complex beer, but it's one of the better marketed ones. Maybe you should give Beer Advocate a visit. As much as I like all the alcoholic beverages I think beers have the most complexity, even more than wine.
post #27 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter
beer is going to make you fat, as you get older. live with it, giving up beer just isn't worth it.

The voice of reason....you could mitigate by eating less and having a good training routine but do you really want to live like a monk or even worse, be a man who drinks light beer?
post #28 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
... One of the huge upshots of beer is its nurse-ability. Can pretty easily make 3 - 4 beers stretch over a couple of hours if I need to. Its easy sippin and Im not coming home shitfaced every second day.

If I switch to the harder stuff - which of course comes in a much smaller glass - Ill just end up drinking way more since a pint of beer is a lot more to work through than a tumbler of base + mixer + ice. Net result, me trashed more often (and this effects us all, since thats when im likely to post the abusive crap that I really think )...
Alternate with a glass of water. Fills you up, cuts calories, prevents hangover headache.
post #29 of 76
The carbonation in beer also fills up your belly and makes it a little easier to drink slowly. Of course if it was up to me I'd pick Champagne over beer every time, but for whatever reason that's just not socially acceptable in many situations.
post #30 of 76
Yep, I say keep drinking the beer, m@t

And do some kind of exercise to counter it. Or skip a meal! Better yet, have beer for breakfast, beer for lunch, and then a sensible dinner!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How do I get drunk and not get fat?