• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm looking for a new passport cover

Gallardo2501

Reaction score
I'm getting my new passport in the mail in a few weeks and want to get a new cover for it.

Right now I have a Louis Vuitton cover that is simple and straight forward (which I really like) but has been through the ringer more then a few times. I'm looking for something similar to the LV and made of a soft but durable leather. Budget is $150-200.

Thanks Guys!!!

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ettinger or Valextra.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apologies for the partial thread hijack, but since the OP has had a couple of good replies already, I hope he forgives me the query, which isn't meant to be snide, but is made with genuine curiosity:

What exactly is the purpose of a passport cover?

Every time I see one, I always wonder what aspect of travelling I must be missing out on that requires such an item. It doesn't seem to save on carrying anything else, and a passport has a pretty durable/tear-resistant cover to it already, I'd say.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Every time I see one, I always wonder what aspect of travelling I must be missing out on that requires such an item. It doesn't seem to save on carrying anything else, and a passport has a pretty durable/tear-resistant cover to it already, I'd say.

None really. The better passport covers may have some additional pockets to hold frequent flyer cards and whatnot but it's really just for looks at the end of the day.

In my most recent trip, I abandoned the passport case because i really didn't feel like walking around with all the extra stuff. Plus, i could then easily fit the passport into my jacket pocket.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Apologies for the partial thread hijack, but since the OP has had a couple of good replies already, I hope he forgives me the query, which isn't meant to be snide, but is made with genuine curiosity:

What exactly is the purpose of a passport cover?

A huge, huge +1.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
None really. The better passport covers may have some additional pockets to hold frequent flyer cards and whatnot but it's really just for looks at the end of the day. In my most recent trip, I abandoned the passport case because i really didn't feel like walking around with all the extra stuff. Plus, i could then easily fit the passport into my jacket pocket.
I'll wait for more replies before I totally write off the concept, but your experience matches mine entirely (esp. the bit about more easily accommodating it in a jacket pocket). Besides, and I may be totally weird on this, I don't think passports look all that bad uncovered - the crests are interesting enough. Mind you, I do slightly miss the old-fashioned black leather (or leather-substitute, who knows) British passports. (first person who now goes on to suggest that if I miss them so much, I should get one of those mock-old-British-passport leather passport covers, gets an ironic clip round the ears.
laugh.gif
)

LeonM

Reaction score
Mind you, I do slightly miss the old-fashioned black leather (or leather-substitute, who knows) British passports.

(first person who now goes on to suggest that if I miss them so much, I should get one of those mock-old-British-passport leather passport covers, gets an ironic clip round the ears.
laugh.gif
)

I did too. I now have a black leather cover from Smythson, that recreates the old-style!

Mind you, my burgundy euro passport is torn at the spine, what with being folded back and swiped. I don't think they are that durable.

Leon

Gallardo2501

Reaction score
The main reason that I use a cover is that my passport is normally the only thing that I'll leave in a hotel safe, along with a emergency credit card and all of my travel information (the cover allows me to have all of this in one place when traveling so I don't need to look for it).

I've also destroyed (warped and slightly frayed) a passport due to being stuck in a down poor in Romania. I'd like a bit more protection with out having to resort to using a zip top bag.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeonM
Mind you, my burgundy euro passport is torn at the spine, what with being folded back and swiped. I don't think they are that durable.

This was a conscious choice, to make them as durable and effective as the Euro itself.

devil.gif

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gallardo2501
The main reason that I use a cover is that my passport is normally the only thing that I'll leave in a hotel safe, along with a emergency credit card and all of my travel information (the cover allows me to have all of this in one place when traveling so I don't need to look for it).

I've also destroyed (warped and slightly frayed) a passport due to being stuck in a down poor in Romania. I'd like a bit more protection with out having to resort to using a zip top bag.

Wow. You use Louis Vuitton leather as waterproofer, your handle is "Gallardo," and you have the Ferrari prancing horse as your avatar. You, sir, are a big-timer's big-timer.

zizou

Reaction score
sole purpose of my passport cover is to keep all of my frequent flyer cards in the same place as my passport. and the slip for the boarding pass and/or ticket too, i suppose.

other than that, i agree there's not a whole lot of use for it.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saddleback leather.

Gallardo2501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Wow. You use Louis Vuitton leather as waterproofer, your handle is "Gallardo," and you have the Ferrari prancing horse as your avatar. You, sir, are a big-timer's big-timer.

My father always said I was a over achiever lol.

I'm not wealthy by any means, but I've worked damn hard for what I've earned and I intend to enjoy the fruits of my labor
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads