or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Page 4

post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
it's a childrens' movie. i accept the smug award and wish to thank all the little people who made it possible.


"you like me, you really like me."
post #47 of 79
I'm in the process of making a more formal "smug" award. I like the idea of me arbitrarily handing out awards for no apparent reason.
post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
What in your mind makes this a children's movie?The championing of alcoholism as a charming virtue? The cannibals? The CG beheadings, dismemberings, and otherwise?

all of that. that is what 10 year old boys look for in a movie, not mature adults. watch some pasolini man.
post #49 of 79
Um. Whatever.
post #50 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
all of that. that is what 10 year old boys look for in a movie, not mature adults. watch some pasolini man.

To be perfectly honest... I've seen The Canturbury Tales, and it sucked. I didn't really note anything extraordinary about it. I might have tried to sit through Accittone once or twice, but it seemed so unfocused, pointless, and clumsily written that I don't think I've ever finished it. Never really run across anything else that peaked my interest. Generally Italian film is not my cup of tea.

I recognize that REAL people watch movies to be entertained, not so they can name drop or discuss the effect of the Odessa Steps sequence in the 1925 russian silent filmn Battleship Potemkin on modern film. Or to think about the existential ramifications of Fellini's 8 1/2. (about the only italian director I've ever really found watchable other than Dario Argento, and occasionally Sergio Leone ) Or whatever it is that people talk about in those cheese and wine parties where everyone basically tries to out-do one another with their meaningless drivel.

I mean, I can talk about those things, like the importance of Citizen Kane, its social and political impact, and it's being the basis for almost all modern filmmaking. But only when asked. I understand though, that its a pretty boring movie as far as modern tastes go, and without going to film school, or knowing someone who did, most people will never understand why...

I also know that Raiders Of The Lost Ark may be one of the most entertaining movies ever made, and also definitely not a children's movie. There is nothing wrong with watching movies for fun, and in fact, I consider it to be much nobler a cause than seeing movies because of some quasi-intellectual one upsmanship. I work for a living, I don't have time to ponder.
post #51 of 79
You don't like Visconti? I also like Cavani's "The Night Porter".
post #52 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
You don't like Visconti? I also like Cavani's "The Night Porter".
Decadent depravity
post #53 of 79
This thread needs more pics of:



post #54 of 79
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I was however, very fond of the visual FX involved with Davy Jones and his minions. Awesome!

yeah i totally agree with you. i couldn't stop looking at all the gross details and caught so many things the second time around that i missed the first time i saw it. for instance, in the liar's dice scene, the Flying Dutchman crew member standing behind Will Turner has an eel coming out of his stomach, but then what's even crazier is that it starts eating off of the same guy's hand!!! i found this picture - shows the eel just poking its head out...eeek!

post #55 of 79
Saw it on Sat and really enjoyed it. The cannibal scared the bejeezus out of me. The fight on the water wheel was a bit long, but other than that I have no real complaints. Except..

I also like KK dressed up in the Brit soldier's read coat and pants--ummm very becoming in the hinder region. But there was none of that this time. Come on!

I give it a B.


bob
post #56 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I liked it, though I wish it had had an ending.


Yup i kinda feel cheated by that
post #57 of 79
I hated a lot of stuff about the movie but still found it somewhat enjoyable. I thought the effects were done very well.

I was bothered by the amount of marketing towards children that was done (particularly with McDonald's/Happy Meals) and then to see that the movie was oversaturated with violence and sexual innuendos, and the whole thing was way too confusing. I was waiting nearly 2 hours for things to get explained before I finally thought to myself, "So there just isn't a story after all?"

If the beginning of Pirates is 0 and the end of the story is 10, I think this movie covered all of the ground between sections 8 and 8.15.
post #58 of 79
I liked it overall but I did feel that some of the action sequences were way overblown, like the swordfight on the waterwheel (?) and the chase scenes with the cannibals. I absolutely loved Davey Jones and his crew - brilliant special effects. I liked more if it than I hated, so it was worth my 7 bucks.
post #59 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
To be perfectly honest... I've seen The Canturbury Tales, and it sucked. I didn't really note anything extraordinary about it. I might have tried to sit through Accittone once or twice, but it seemed so unfocused, pointless, and clumsily written that I don't think I've ever finished it. Never really run across anything else that peaked my interest. Generally Italian film is not my cup of tea.

I recognize that REAL people watch movies to be entertained, not so they can name drop or discuss the effect of the Odessa Steps sequence in the 1925 russian silent filmn Battleship Potemkin on modern film. Or to think about the existential ramifications of Fellini's 8 1/2. (about the only italian director I've ever really found watchable other than Dario Argento, and occasionally Sergio Leone ) Or whatever it is that people talk about in those cheese and wine parties where everyone basically tries to out-do one another with their meaningless drivel.

I mean, I can talk about those things, like the importance of Citizen Kane, its social and political impact, and it's being the basis for almost all modern filmmaking. But only when asked. I understand though, that its a pretty boring movie as far as modern tastes go, and without going to film school, or knowing someone who did, most people will never understand why...

I also know that Raiders Of The Lost Ark may be one of the most entertaining movies ever made, and also definitely not a children's movie. There is nothing wrong with watching movies for fun, and in fact, I consider it to be much nobler a cause than seeing movies because of some quasi-intellectual one upsmanship. I work for a living, I don't have time to ponder.

that's such a lame come back; to dismiss foreign cinema as being artsy and pretentious just because it focuses on the human experience, rather than on robots, monsters, lazers, and special fx.
post #60 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
that's such a lame come back; to dismiss foreign cinema as being artsy and pretentious just because it focuses on the human experience, rather than on robots, monsters, lazers, and special fx.
I did no such thing. I never mentioned "foreign cinema" I never dismissed it at all, or stated that "domestic" cinema is better. If you would read carefully I am attacking YOUR ATTITUDES about film in general, attitudes which are elitist, artsy, and pretentious. You show no signs of stopping with this latest post. Its lame to be haughty and pretentious, and to dismiss entire genre's of art and fiction because of some percieved immaturity, which is basically nothing more than personal preference and a lack of imagination on your part. To dismiss 90% of the rest of the world as having the tastes of ten year old boys, putting yourself up on some film watching pedestal, and announcing the superiority of your personal taste over the subjective taste of all others is as immature as I think it gets. And when opening onesself up for ridicule on such a front, you cannot take criticism of said elitist chest thumping, so you change tactics and begin to generalize your attackers arguments (incorrectly) and paint them to be vapid, brain dead morons, who have no appreciation of "foreign cinema" when in reality it is YOU who has no appreciation of anything other than what your small niche of boring, stuffy friends has probably told you is good. How many asian, icelandic, african, aussie or russian films have you seen lately? Stop trying to hide behind some outdated and incorrect assumption of what "foreign cinema" is about and what you think it should mean. I probably watch 10 foreign movies for every domestic movie I see and I know that its not "foreign" movies that you love, in fact, you really don't like movies at all. You just like SOUNDING SMARTER than everyone else. Well dude, I hate to break it to you, but I LOVE movies, all kinds of movies. So you are going to have to do better than some half baked theory of generalized concepts and prejudices that you've installed so that you can talk to other snooty, critical people who have limited worldviews and funneled perspectives. You've forgotten how to have fun, so instead you put down and mock everyone who hasn't as having less sophisticated tastes than you. I'm just here to call bullshit on your pomposity. I mean, your argument, transposed onto any other medium of entertainment becomes utterly preposterous. Do you only watch "interpretive dance" and ballet because they are the only forms of dance that explore the "human condition"? Do you not appreciate anything other than classical piano concertos, and opera? Where do you get off telling anyone else that their entertainment doesn't mean anything because it's immature and doesn't meet your standards of high art? Have you ever made any art that explores the human condition, or do you just latch on to someone elses interpretations and ideas about the subject, without actually coming up with anything of your own?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment, Culture, and Sports › Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest