• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English shoes

darkie_one

Reaction score
I'm unfamiar with English shoes, but want a pair of english oxfords - Loake, Cheaney, Herring, Church's, Crockett & Jones - help me order this (and every you can name) brands by quality and best value for money.

Any thoughts?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkie_one
I'm unfamiar with English shoes, but want a pair of english oxfords - Loake, Cheaney, Herring, Church's, Crockett & Jones - help me order this (and every you can name) brands by quality and best value for money.

Any thoughts?

Loake, Church's and C&J are ordered here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=172371

Cheaney is like Church (they are owned by Church, though operations are quite independent)

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix

Cheaney is like Church (they are owned by Church, though operations are quite independent)

not anymore. The church brothers bought cheaney off the churchs brand/prada last autumn after the resigned from the board.

www.cheaney.co.uk

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Groover
not anymore. The church brothers bought cheaney off the churchs brand/prada last autumn after the resigned from the board.

www.cheaney.co.uk

Ok, I am a bit confused. Is the following right?

- 1966: Church & Co bought Cheaney
- 1999: Prada bought Church & Co -> Effectively owned Cheaney
- 2009: Church brothers bought back Cheaney from Prada
- Hence now we have 2 company: Church & Co owned by Prada, and Cheaney operated by Church brothers

Groover

Reaction score
That's correct.

Jonathan & William Church resigned from the board at Church's and bought Cheaney. Making it an independent company again. All the info is on Cheaney's site, and on here an Ask Andy.

Agnacious

Reaction score
I look forward to your "If I am a size X in US shoes, what size is that in English shoes" post.

darkie_one

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Loake, Church's and C&J are ordered here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=172371

Feeling you surveys complicated a little
eh.gif

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkie_one
Feeling you surveys complicated a little
eh.gif

Just look at the hierarchy, don't care about the surveys (they're for those who've experienced the shoes already)

cbird

Reaction score
In general, get the best you can afford, but don't decide what is "best" just based on the accepted hierarchies - it is also important to factor in which gives you the best fit, so trying a few on would be helpful. Also, you should factor in how often you can expect to wear them; the more often you will wear them, the better value a finer shoe becomes. Most people think Edward Greens and John Lobb (Hermes) offer the best RTW shoes, but most of the other well known makers are still going to be way better than what you would find in most department stores (and better values, too, since they will be more comfortable, better looking, and rebuildable).

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread....

Of all the widely-available (through the frequently-mentioned online stores here at SF) English-made shoes, which of them offer the best value for money?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry

Of all the widely-available (through the frequently-mentioned online stores here at SF) English-made shoes, which of them offer the best value for money?

It's hard to quantify 'value for money' sometimes as there are certainly diminishing returns past a certain point, but it depends on your definition of value. An £800 pair of Lobbs is not going to be twice as good as a £400 pair of C&Js, but they are going to be as good or better than any other £800 pair of shoes, so are they still good value? Many would probably say they are.

emptym

Reaction score
For English rtw shoes, my favorites are Alfred Sargent. I love the 87 and 99 lasts. Customer service is wonderful. I think their value is the best too. I'd compare them favorably to Aldens, which are my favorite US rtw shoes. If you're going to spend the amt you need to spend on Greens and Lobbs, you might as well go mto or custom, imo.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry

I've never owned a pair, but from what I've read and what I've seen in person and in photos, I'd say that C&J is your best bet if you want a fine English shoe but don't want to break the bank. I also happen to love the shape of their lasts. They are on the expensive side, but they have A LOT of competition in the $5-600 range and probably outshine all of them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads