• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loake vs. Allen Edmonds

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how these two brands stacked up against each other. Are they of similar qualities?

Also, what are the differences between the Loake 1881 and Loake Shoemaker Collection.

With the strong Canadian dollar against UK pounds, it is very tempting to buy some Loake from Pediwear.

Thanks in advance....

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
Just wondering how these two brands stacked up against each other. Are they of similar qualities?

Also, what are the differences between the Loake 1881 and Loake Shoemaker Collection.

With the strong Canadian dollar against UK pounds, it is very tempting to buy some Loake from Pediwear.

Thanks in advance....

I'm not in a position to compare AE with Loake.

Loake 1880 is the best of the Loake ranges, made in UK, reasonable calf leather.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Loake's lesser offerings are a significant step down from AE's usual stuff. I would not consider any Loakes outside the 1880 line, which seems roughly on par with AE in terms of construction and finish.

Overall, I'd give a slight nod to AE vs. 1880, but some will find the Loake styling preferable.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E is a bit (just a bit) better in terms of leather quality and construction. If I choose to buy Loake, I would not buy any non-1880. Be careful though, both have some sinfully ugly lasts albeit nice pictures on their websites. So make sure that you can see the shoes at different angles before committing to buy.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have both. AEs are definitely better made (even than the 1880s) IMO , albeit less sleek and stylish than the Loakes. I've been disappointed with my Loakes.

mjc

Reaction score
If you are considering Loakes from Pediwear, also consider The Shoe Healer. I've received outstanding personal service from them when ordering Loakes and Alfred Sargents. Beware that Canada Customs will extract a pound of flesh from you, however! - Mike

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjc
If you are considering Loakes from Pediwear, also consider The Shoe Healer. I've received outstanding personal service from them when ordering Loakes and Alfred Sargents.

Beware that Canada Customs will extract a pound of flesh from you, however!

- Mike

Does anyone know a store in canada that ships english shoes at reasonable prices? or rather, an overseas store that reliably dodges customs?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all the insights....Much appreciated.

Originally I was looking at a pair of AE Delray, then got redirected here while doing some Google searches.

Then, I was looking to get a pair of the Loake Knightsbridge, but with all the input, it looks like I should probably just spend ~$150 more for a pair of C&J Edgware.

Wrenkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
Does anyone know a store in canada that ships english shoes at reasonable prices? or rather, an overseas store that reliably dodges customs?

Customs didn't treat me terribly last time I ordered from Herring. You can get factory seconds from them at reasonable prices, the supposed defects not being noticeable on my last 2 orders. I think on a $200 order I got charged about $30 in shipping for 3-4 day delivery and $37 in additional tax and customs (this was via UPS, but "Saver" mode which meant that brokerage was included). Which, for an item that retails in perfect condition in the US at $400 before tax and shipping didn't seem all that bad.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjc
If you are considering Loakes from Pediwear, also consider The Shoe Healer. I've received outstanding personal service from them when ordering Loakes and Alfred Sargents.

Beware that Canada Customs will extract a pound of flesh from you, however!

- Mike

+1 Shoe Healer has excellent service.

Originally Posted by asdf

When ordering from international, you need to make sure that the local postal service is used (i.e. Royal Mail, USPS, etc) - Most of the time, when Canada Post takes the handoffs, CBSA will "forgive" your purchases.

If you're willing to accept the (low) risk, you can request the seller to send the parcel to you and declare it at a much lower value, this way if you do get hit with duties/taxes, then it will be at the lower value. The only downside to this is you are insured for less if the parcel is lost/stolen.

mmm

Reaction score
My loakes through pediwear also managed to dodge customs

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by osc
When ordering from international, you need to make sure that the local postal service is used (i.e. Royal Mail, USPS, etc) - Most of the time, when Canada Post takes the handoffs, CBSA will "forgive" your purchases.

If you're willing to accept the (low) risk, you can request the seller to send the parcel to you and declare it at a much lower value, this way if you do get hit with duties/taxes, then it will be at the lower value. The only downside to this is you are insured for less if the parcel is lost/stolen.

Yeah, definitely. You also dodge goddamn brokerage fees that couriers charge.

mjc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by osc
declare it at a much lower value, this way if you do get hit with duties/taxes, then it will be at the lower value. The only downside to this is you are insured for less if the parcel is lost/stolen.

No, the real downside is that Canada Customs notices the false value and holds your shipment for weeks while you deal with paperwork and fines.

Indochino sent me a suit with a declared value of $10. Canada Customs wasn't impressed. It took weeks to get the shipment released. (Indochino reimbursed me for the fees and fines.)

Anyway, beware.

- Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads