or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Sartorialist shoots Arny's of Paris
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Sartorialist shoots Arny's of Paris - Page 2

post #16 of 37
Terrific pictures! Thanks!
post #17 of 37
I envy you soooooo much. That July 03 shot of the woman with sleek hair and huge sunglasses is just great. As is the look of that woman at Paul Smith (in linen?)on the 4th. What a huge variety of styles. You just don't see that here where I live in the mid-Atlantic. Sad.

I notice in your pic of Yvan Rodic he uses a very small digital camera. Scott, do you mind if I ask what sort of equipment you use? I'm no photog and have no dreams of being one, but was just curious.


bob
post #18 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman
Have you been to Colette recently? So over. It's like a clothing equivalent of Disneyland on a hot August day -- packed and uncomfortable, and even more self-congratulatory.

Sartorialist, you seem to have hit a key by mistake. It's Arnys, not Arny's, in the same way it's not Herme's or L'obb.
In theory, one of those Colette Edition gold lame Burberry Prorsum trenches worn with Arnys and that fey walking stick would be great.

No, not recent.
post #19 of 37
On an aside, I noticed they included the Rolleiflex camera on the men.style 50 most stylish things, which was a very sensible action although the Leica should also have been included: http://men.style.com/features/big_st...o=48&play=fals.
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
In theory, one of those Colette Edition gold lame Burberry Prorsum trenches worn with Arnys and that fey walking stick would be great.

No, not recent.
I saw someone wearing one of the special edition Lacoste shirts from Colette with the oversized crocodile last weekend. He looked like a complete jackass.
post #21 of 37
Thank you for the magnificent shots!

Comment: some of the women with sagging breasts should really refrain from wearing certain styles of dresses. Beurk. Or do people find that attractive?
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Comment: some of the women with sagging breasts should really refrain from wearing certain styles of dresses. Beurk. Or do people find that attractive?

Err, you might be correct as a sartorial matter. Of course, what people find attractive and especially what men find "attractive" on (or not on) women might be very different from what clothing looks best.
post #23 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Comment: some of the women with sagging breasts should really refrain from wearing certain styles of dresses. Beurk. Or do people find that attractive?
Maybe they are trying for that 1970s look. As a, er, contrast it can be interesting--though the line between nonchalant and just plain sloppy can be thin indeed.
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJman
I saw someone wearing one of the special edition Lacoste shirts from Colette with the oversized crocodile last weekend. He looked like a complete jackass.
That's completely diffferent because of its overt logo factor. Colette used to have a magazine they sent out, and one edition had a series of special edition trenches, which were very compelling.
post #25 of 37
Mr. maggoo and Kitonbrioni: Sometimes I think I should stop striving for perfection.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne
Mr. maggoo and Kitonbrioni: Sometimes I think I should stop striving for perfection.

Pish posh.

The point I was making is that what men find "attractive" on women (and in American English, that often implies sexually attractive) and what looks best from an objective eye can be two very different things. Ask an objective man if he finds a well dressed woman or a minimally dressed woman more attractive. Just because he may say the latter does not mean you should not strive to look your best at all times!

Believe me, if American men only dressed the way American women find sexually attractive, we would largely be firemen and certainly never worry about the things men ask about on this forum.
post #27 of 37
I understand. It is when I am wearing a tank top, hair down, running errands at the hardware store*,that I get cat calls from men safely behind their steering wheels on the other side of the intersection. When I have put more care in my appearance, these same men probably wouldn't dare.

Still, if I had sagging breasts, I wouldn't flaunt them. Shudder.

*ie.: when I think I look fairly awful.
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
On an aside, I noticed they included the Rolleiflex camera on the men.style 50 most stylish things, which was a very sensible action although the Leica should also have been included:

http://men.style.com/features/big_st...o=48&play=fals.
A worthy addition, it seems, although I confess camera ignorance. Some items on the list are ridiculous. I find the Prada Saffiano watch hideous. Other things such as the The Old Print Shop are imaginative. I've not been to the shop, but I do like--and dabble in--old prints.

A running SF 'Stylish Things' thread might be a good idea.
post #29 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabienne
It is when I am wearing a tank top, hair down, running errands at the hardware store*,that I get cat calls from men safely behind their steering wheels on the other side of the intersection. When I have put more care in my appearance, these same men probably wouldn't dare.

*ie.: when I think I look fairly awful.

Interesting. I would have thought that a French woman (I am assuming you are French for your Les Bleus support) would have understood this conundrum more fully than American women do: that women can be attractive to men not when they think they are but at other times as well. American women tend to be perplexed by this reaction. When I tell my American girlfriend she looks great after the gym, she nearly punches me.

Interestingly, women seem to understand this with men very well -- if a man has been exercising or working in a physical way and is sweaty and strong looking, they find it very appealling. Bathe and put on a suit and it is never the same reaction. Yet, women cannot quite fathom that it works both ways.
post #30 of 37
I get it. Still, if a part of my body were way below average, I would not, in the name of being "attractive" to others, seek ways of exposing said body part. It's a question of pride. But I don't have to worry about that.

And for the record, I find my husband immensely attractive when he is wearing a suit, cufflinks, a tie.

PS: Yes, I'm a French woman.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Sartorialist shoots Arny's of Paris