or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Plastic Surgery
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Plastic Surgery - Page 3

post #31 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret
I would think quite the contrary -- that the diversity of cultures leads to a much broader sense of what is considered attractive. As much as the fashion industry and celebrity culture is assaulted for promoting unrealistic, idealized standards of beauty, it seems to me that in the last 20 years, there has been a significant broadening of what's considered attractive. Hardly a week goes by that I don't see some fashion magazine featuring a model who in another time might have been considered too pale, too dark, too full-lipped, too scrawny, too heavy, too chesty, too flat-chested, too freckled, too swarthy, too bald, too 'ethnic'...

That's true. It is interesting in that it might explain the shrinking "ideal" male nose. All in all, however, changes in beauty ideals are minor. Color is one of the first things people notice about others. If you look beyond it and certain ethnic features, the beautiful people of any race tend to look quite similar. (With certain sex-related differences.) Also, male beauty ideals probably change even less than those for females. Likely because males are less picky and don't necessarily prefer the current "ideal." Possibly the change toward the youth ideal is more responsible for the popularity of cosmetic surgery and the broader category that includes less invasive procedures..

For the record, the opinion here is that complaining about conforming to standards of beauty is pointless. It is human nature to conform, especially regarding something so linked to competition and "value."
post #32 of 54
Jill, a shave, wearing deodorent, a haircut, etc. are all reversible things that don't actually mangle and then re-shape your body. That said, I wouldn't tell the kid with the huge ears or the woman with breast cancer to get over herself, because in those cases I'm not against it. My ranting was more narrowly targeted than it appears, and I'm sorry for not explaining. I took the phrase "cosmetic surgery" to refer to fixes to certain areas of the face with no reason other than to "improve" it. Those are people who are just not satisfied with the shape of their nose, the height of their cheekbones (or any other overblown imperfection) and think they'd be ugly without it. Most of the people I've known who fit the bill are all at least decent-looking women. It's not the surgery itself, its the psychological implications of it.
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Jill, a shave, wearing deodorent, a haircut, etc. are all reversible things that don't actually mangle and then re-shape your body. That said, I wouldn't tell the kid with the huge ears or the woman with breast cancer to get over herself, because in those cases I'm not against it.

My ranting was more narrowly targeted than it appears, and I'm sorry for not explaining. I took the phrase "cosmetic surgery" to refer to fixes to certain areas of the face with no reason other than to "improve" it. Those are people who are just not satisfied with the shape of their nose, the height of their cheekbones (or any other overblown imperfection) and think they'd be ugly without it. Most of the people I've known who fit the bill are all at least decent-looking women.

It's not the surgery itself, its the psychological implications of it.

Though it's hard to fault women for recognizing the fact that no one ever created a "Ye Olde Decent-Looking Women" thread.
post #34 of 54
Wasn't that the unusual crushes thread?
post #35 of 54
For

post #36 of 54
My pre ferance would be to have a girl with C/D's implants over a flat A anyday of the week.
post #37 of 54
I loves me da puppies, but I have to say, some of the most beautiful women I see every day are A or B cups.
post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Wasn't that the unusual crushes thread?

No, that's women to whom various members find themselves attracted in spite of the fact that they are not conventionally attractive.
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk
I loves me da puppies, but I have to say, some of the most beautiful women I see every day are A or B cups.


yea I think the most naturally beautiful women usually have small breasts... like models etc...
post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
For the record, the opinion here is that complaining about conforming to standards of beauty is pointless. It is human nature to conform, especially regarding something so linked to competition and "value."
Any other opinion on this topic from an image consultant would have been a conflict of interest.

I think the distinction needs to be made between cosmetic surgery as a form of progression to normalcy (and I use the term loosely) and CS to pursue an inflated ideal. MTV had a show where people would get CS to look like their favorite Celebrity and DR. 90210 has segments where they give 16yr olds liposuction and breast implants.

At some point in the future, intervention will be possible at the genetic level, reducing notions of beauty to cookie cutouts.
post #41 of 54
LOL. OK. I'll bow out. I clearly have no concept of reality. I just get really tickled by the guys who say, "I hate plastic girls" or "plastic surgery is just so superficial", etc... but they see a 6' tall chick, skin and bone, who weighs a buck 10, then thinks those "DD" cups are just gorgeous.

I'm not saying that I disagree! Oftimes, they do indeed. But to imply that that would happen in nature is laughable.

Thanks for clarifying, Brian. I thot that must be what you really meant. There are indeed times when plastic surgery is not a despicable thing.
post #42 of 54
I don't have any problems with plastic surgery, and if people want to augment their bosoms or finetune their noses, it is up to them.
post #43 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill
LOL. OK. I'll bow out. I clearly have no concept of reality. I just get really tickled by the guys who say, "I hate plastic girls" or "plastic surgery is just so superficial", etc... but they see a 6' tall chick, skin and bone, who weighs a buck 10, then thinks those "DD" cups are just gorgeous.

I'm not saying that I disagree! Oftimes, they do indeed. But to imply that that would happen in nature is laughable.

Thanks for clarifying, Brian. I thot that must be what you really meant. There are indeed times when plastic surgery is not a despicable thing.

---Just wait till they figure out how to give all men 12 inches of love. Then we'll see how their opinion changes. BTW, I'm happy with my 10
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph
---Just wait till they figure out how to give all men 12 inches of love. Then we'll see how their opinion changes. BTW, I'm happy with my 10
There is a surgery for that apparently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penis_e...rgical_methods
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelKing
There is a surgery for that apparently:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penis_e...rgical_methods

Nope, ligament cutting would only and maybe an inch and it would lose some structural holding. Currently there is no ethical or practical way to lengthen ones penis, unless prior to the onset of puberty one would be given androgenic steroids which would enlarge ones member. Contrary to society's TV education steroids/male testincrease the sizeof one's member prior to late stage puberty, howeverlong term usuage can temporarily cause testicular (your nuts) atrophy (shirinking). Also the AUA does not advocate (ligament cutting/fat transfer) this currently and the research is questionable, and most of the docs doing this stuff, well, I wouldn't personally recommend it. Psychology counseling is best unless you really do have micropenis, which is incredibly rare, but does sadly happen.

Tissue engineeriing however is right around the corner, and infact they have in rabbits regrown the twoprimary chambers from cell sames and fully integrated themback into the rabbits and were fully functional within a month.

000 I know alot of md.'s it's a curse and a blessing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Plastic Surgery