• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying a suit off ebay

cheyrou

Reaction score
Hey this past week I went suit shopping with little success. I visited my local stores but found nothing that fit my body, criteria, and budget. So I've decided to look at Ebay, I following the leads some of you gave me and Im pursuing a cheap H&M suit that I can throw away after a while. The suit is a 40L, I am a 38L but ppl said that a tailor could size it down for me. Im very apprehensive as I've never bought anything big off ebay before. If you could give me any advice as to what to ask the seller and such please help. I really appreciate all of you helping me, I really want to become a sharp dressed cat.

If you want to view:
http://cgi.ebay.com/H-M-SLIM-FIT-BLA...item255669903b

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks too expensive to take a risk in sizing.

cheyrou

Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
Looks too expensive to take a risk in sizing.

In all honesty I could not find anything at almost every store in my area. Buying online is not something I do eagerly, but it is my last option. Do you think that I should message him and get measurements?

Thanks

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheyrou
Hey this past week I went suit shopping with little success. I visited my local stores but found nothing that fit my body, criteria, and budget. So I've decided to look at Ebay, I following the leads some of you gave me and Im pursuing a cheap H&M suit that I can throw away after a while. The suit is a 40L, I am a 38L but ppl said that a tailor could size it down for me. Im very apprehensive as I've never bought anything big off ebay before. If you could give me any advice as to what to ask the seller and such please help. I really appreciate all of you helping me, I really want to become a sharp dressed cat.

If you want to view:
http://cgi.ebay.com/H-M-SLIM-FIT-BLA...item255669903b

1) If you're a 38 and the suit is a 40, it's going to be very hard for a tailor to make it look right. Small adjustments in fit are no problem (e.g. waist suppression), but sizing the entire coat down is tough to get right.

2) Even if you can find a tailor who can/will successfully size down a suit, the expense would likely be much too high to justify for an H&M suit.

If you're still considering the suit I would absolutely contact the seller and ask for very specific measurements.

cheyrou

Reaction score
What are the measurements that I should ask for? I was told earlier that a tailor should be able to size it down without much trouble. What does going from a 40 to a 38 entail? Im very new to buying suits so I really need help from people who are familiar with it. Thankyou very much

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only ebay suits I buy are the exact make and model I've bought at brick and mortar stores. I have several HF Madison suits in 39R that fit like MTM with just a bit of tailoring. I keep my eyes peeled for others that come up on ebay from time to time. I would not buy something I've never tried on. Same for shoes -- picked up several AEs in 9 D that I know will fit.

Buy what you know and you will not be disappointed. Try something new and be prepared for surprises.

Twotone

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheyrou
What are the measurements that I should ask for? I was told earlier that a tailor should be able to size it down without much trouble. What does going from a 40 to a 38 entail? Im very new to buying suits so I really need help from people who are familiar with it. Thankyou very much

For the coat I would request pit to pit, shoulders, length measured down the back from the bottom of the collar, and sleeves.

For the pants I would ask for waist and inseam at a minimum.

Take a look at the buying and selling forum, and see what measurements the sellers there provide on suits. The measurements they usually provide are what you should get from the eBay seller.

The problem is that this might not help you much, given you're so inexperienced. You would be much better off being patient and trying to find something you can try on in person.

To be honest, I've never sized down a coat, so I don't know the details on the process. However, my impression is that it's pretty labor intensive and yields results that are, at best, inconsistent. If you're set on the idea I would ask your tailor how much he'd charge for such an alteration, just so you're not surprised.

Lastly, you don't mention why you need a suit, but black isn't a great color. Given your inexperience buying suits, I'm willing to bet this is going to be your first, and thus only, suit. If this is the case I would highly recommend navy or charcoal, which are both much more versatile than black.

cheyrou

Reaction score
The suit is for prom. I currently have two navy suits, one of which fits me well. I bought it from men's wearhouse with my father, I believe that the suit was a 38L but it had to have a good bit of tailoring done. I'd wear the navy to prom but I wore it to homecoming and a few other school occasions. My sister is at home and she works in clothes, I will have her measure me and I'll post them shortly. I'm sure she'll know how to measure.

cheyrou

Reaction score
Ok so some upper body measurements:
Middle of back to wrist: 35.5"
Chest at nips: 37.5"
Top of shoulder to Top of shoulder: 18"
Top of shoulder to wrist: 25"
Waist 1" below navel: 28"
Inseam crotch to ankel: 34.75"

cheyrou

Reaction score
thanks a lot, but it's imperative the suit be long, im 6'5 the collar to bottom of jacket is 29.5 i need apx 33"

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Find a 38L or 39L but don't let someone talk you into a size 40. You can't really cut down a suit in most cases and the few times you can require a lot of $$$$ for the tailoring.

PMRuby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Find a 38L or 39L but don't let someone talk you into a size 40. You can't really cut down a suit in most cases and the few times you can require a lot of $$$$ for the tailoring.

+1. Yeah, this isn't worth it. You really should just shop around until you find a suit that will fit you properly. This really can't be done over the internet if you don't have any prior experience with the particular brand and you don't know a lot about what stuff works for you (no offense - you'll get there eventually).

swooc

Reaction score
perhaps a different approach might make it a little easier? eg trousers and a nice sweater. add a coat if its cold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads