or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Turnbull and Asser Suits?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Turnbull and Asser Suits?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
i have been posting about trying to find some good british suits in the us and T&A (CB) was mentioned. does anyone have any suit expereinces with them through the nyc location? general impressions, quality, service, selection, etc? do they offer MTM there?
post #2 of 12
General impression based on regular shopping for shirts at the NYC store from 2000-2004:

Tailored clothing section had a turnover of salesmen. Never seemed to have any customers on the 3rd floor.

General impression: suits are not T & A's strength; T & A is a haberdasher primarily.

N.B. Situation might have changed since then.
post #3 of 12
A further thought:

Yes T & A does MTM. I believe it is through the successor to Cheshire Clothing in the UK. The price is about $2,200+.

Here's a thought: If you want an English suit why not go to local English tailors who have a bit more control and imput into their products? Also, the local tailors would have a slower delivery time.

Leonard Logsdail offers MTM as well as bespoke. His MTM is made in NYS.

Bruce Cameron Clark offers MTM as well as bespoke. His MTM is made in NYC.

Both are involved in the manufacturing and fitting process. Tailored clothing is not a side business for them. Len is a tailor. Bruce is not, but he knows how to style, measure, and fit.

Len Logsdail's type of suit is a proper suit. It's not extreme. He has outfitted US senators. Len makes classics.

Bruce Clark's type of suit is a bit jazzier and is an English dandified look. E.g., bright linings, long and lean, and head turning. Not the suit for a wallflower.

I don't think that you would be disappointed with either gentleman.

Cheers!
Good luck!
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
A further thought:

Yes T & A does MTM. I believe it is through the successor to Cheshire Clothing in the UK. The price is about $2,200+.

Here's a thought: If you want an English suit why not go to local English tailors who have a bit more control and imput into their products? Also, the local tailors would have a slower delivery time.

Leonard Logsdail offers MTM as well as bespoke. His MTM is made in NYS.

Bruce Cameron Clark offers MTM as well as bespoke. His MTM is made in NYC.

Both are involved in the manufacturing and fitting process. Tailored clothing is not a side business for them. Len is a tailor. Bruce is not, but he knows how to style, measure, and fit.

Len Logsdail's type of suit is a proper suit. It's not extreme. He has outfitted US senators. Len makes classics.

Bruce Clark's type of suit is a bit jazzier and is an English dandified look. E.g., bright linings, long and lean, and head turning. Not the suit for a wallflower.

I don't think that you would be disappointed with either gentleman.

Cheers!
Good luck!

Mark,

I have never done MTM or bespoke in nyc. I live in san fran and just happen to be going to nyc for the weekend coming up (though i suppose another trip could be made, it wouldnt be ideal). If you have any direct experience with the names you mentioned above, how many trips do you think would be required of me? i assume the bespoke would be at least 2 or 3 for fittings? also, do you happen to know any ballpark price ranges off the top of your head?

thanks for the suggestion!
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
A further thought:

Leonard Logsdail offers MTM as well as bespoke. His MTM is made in NYS.

Cheers!
Good luck!


Is it made by the Rochester firm that does MTM for a lot of people?
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Is it made by the Rochester firm that does MTM for a lot of people?
Either there (Adrian Jules) or a Toronto firm (forget which one; there are three big ones). Unlike 99% of tailors or companies who outsource CMT to a MTM factory, Len will not hesitate to tell you who he uses, and where your suit is being made.
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton
Either there (Adrian Jules) or a Toronto firm (forget which one; there are three big ones). Unlike 99% of tailors or companies who outsource CMT to a MTM factory, Len will not hesitate to tell you who he uses, and where your suit is being made.


Thanks. There is nothing wrong with Adrian Jules. I have seen their work and am actually considering getting something from them. I don't think that I would use Len for that endeavor though. I think his value is added in his bespoke garments (which I have also seen firsthand and I think are wonderful), not on an outsourced MTM.

To the original poster, H. Herzfeld on 57st does Adrian Jules MTM. They have a model called the Winston (British with some Italian flair) which I think is exactly what you are looking for. It will run you about $1800.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Thanks. There is nothing wrong with Adrian Jules. I have seen their work and am actually considering getting something from them.
If you can make it to Rochester, I am told that the price is ridiculously low.
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton
If you can make it to Rochester, I am told that the price is ridiculously low.

Kindof tried that. Called them and asked if they taked walk ins. Asked where I was from and when I told him NYC, he immediately directed me to Herzfeld, which was were I saw the Jules stuff in the first place. Makes sense that they would do that. I'm think of taking a drive up there and going into the shop. I would be surprised if the prices weren't ridiculously low as you say.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmorel
Thanks. There is nothing wrong with Adrian Jules. I have seen their work and am actually considering getting something from them. I don't think that I would use Len for that endeavor though. I think his value is added in his bespoke garments (which I have also seen firsthand and I think are wonderful), not on an outsourced MTM.

To the original poster, H. Herzfeld on 57st does Adrian Jules MTM. They have a model called the Winston (British with some Italian flair) which I think is exactly what you are looking for. It will run you about $1800.

interesting...would the fabrics at around 2000k be considered good quality? can you tell me any more about this winston cut? i am looking for something typically (i think) british - angled but structured shoulder and chest (not shoulder pads but still very clean), supressed waist, somewhat flaired skirt....in fact, if the sean connery early bond film suits could be attractive on a 5-9 150lb guy, THATS what i would be after! i assume people would describe that as british?
post #11 of 12
If your trip to NYC is a one shot deal, then I wouldn't recommend either MTM or bespoke which would require a couple of fittings. You cannot chance a MTM or bespoke on just the initial order.

I think that you would be better served by buying a suit in your home market where you can have the fittings without great effort or expense.

I cannot comment on the local bespoke talent.

I understand that Wilkes Bashford is the best store in your town. It does a brisk business with Oxxford, and I think that you would be better served buying there than NYC so that you could get all of the necessary fittings. Wilkes has an exclusive Oxxford model called "The Crittiden" which is excellent and very close to a British profile. If you want to try Oxxford MTM at a trunk show, then send my regards to Oxxford CEO Mike Cohen who makes the regular rounds.

If your heart is set on a British suit and if you decide to stay in S.F., then the only reliable source may be one of the traveling tailoring firms, such as Poole.
post #12 of 12
I understand (from UK national press reports) that the Prince of Wales, Prince Charles, has left the Row in a state of high-dudgeon by forsaking (bespoke) Anderson & Sheppard in favour of (MTM) Turnbull & Asser (his shirtmaker). The press reports should appear to be correct: the Prince has not, of course, spoken to the subject (either to confirm or deny the said reports); I have however noticed that gone in recent times is the trademark A & S 'softness', in favour of a more identikit statesman-style.

Well, it can't be a question of money: the Prince's commercial interests grow at a near exponential rate; it could, I suppose, be a question of time - all those tryings-on can place a strain on one's diary - particularly if you're busy making money. Be that as it may, Diana, Princess of Wales, made a point, once she'd settled into her role, of wearing only the offerings of British designers. If the future King - in theory, at least - of England cannot or will not support the Row, what hope is there ? The Row has long understood and accepted that many valued customers are promiscuous: Huntsman today, Dege the next and who knows where after that - just as long as those customers are not lost to the Row altogether.

I do not patronise the Row; but I'm an Italian and may therefore be forgiven for not doing so; but the Prince of Wales ?

Still, his 'move' tends to suggest that T & A's quality can't be that bad, what ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Turnbull and Asser Suits?