• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Prestwood (last 358) - Pictures

flanker2000fr

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I have noticed there has been a fair bit of discussion about the last 358 from C&J, and I figured it would be helpful for me to post pictures of the pair of Prestwood in this last that I have just received.

A few words about this model:

- it is a model from the Handgrade line
- it has a dainite sole
- I believe it replaces the Boswell, which was also a Handgrade, straight captoe derby in dark brown with a dainite sole. The difference would be the number of eyelets (6 for the Prestwood, 5 for the Boswell) and the last (358 for the Prestwood, 337 for the Boswell)

As said in an earlier post, my foot is not particularly wide, hence I fit in a UK 8E in last 348, and UK 8 1/2E in last 337, which is rounder and not as elongated as the 348. I discussed this with Sarah at Bodileys, and she got in touch with the people at C&J. According to them, the 358 fits a lot more like the 348 than it does the 337, so their advice was to go with a UK 8E. I can now confirm this is the case. The Prestwood fits me just right in this size. As for the color, it is a dark brown indeed, but I have polished them with the medium brown Saphir Pate de Luxe . I will continue to do so, as I don't want them to become too dark and too similar to the pair of Highbury I have in this color.

Now with the pictures:

CJPrestwood001.jpg

CJPrestwood002.jpg

CJPrestwood003.jpg

CJPrestwood004.jpg

CJPrestwood005.jpg

CJPrestwood006.jpg

CJPrestwood007.jpg

I thought it would be interesting to make a side-by-side comparison with a model in last 348, so I took the Lowndes:

CJPrestwood008.jpg

CJPrestwood009.jpg

Lowndes:

CJPrestwood013.jpg

Prestwood:

CJPrestwood014.jpg

As you can see from the above comparison, the tip of the 358 is slightly wider and rounder than the fairly narrow and square tip of 348. Also, the profile of the toe is rounder and fuller in the 358, whereas it's flatter in the 348.

Personally, I think this makes for a particularly elegant shape, and a good compromise between the 337 and the 348. I'd certainly recommend it to those who would like to have a last a bit more aggressive than the 337, but are not prepared to go to the extreme of the 348.

One last word about getting these shoes: this was my first shoes online order ever, as I generally buy my C&J in their Paris shop rue Chauvau Lagarde. But I am now living in Singapore and go back to Paris only once a year. The last time I was there, I noticed that despite the collapse of the British Pound against the Euro, the prices had not changed. Meaning I was able to get those shoes delivered from England to Singapore and still save at least 35% over what I'd have paid in France. A no brainer, really. The service I received from Sarah at Bodileys was swift and impeccable. One phone call, a couple of email exchanges, and 10 days later I got the shoes. I am very happy with the experience.

I hope this was helpful.

Cheers

card_richelieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flanker2000fr
As said in an earlier post, my foot is not particularly wide, hence I fit in a UK 8E in last 348, and UK 8 1/2E in last 337, which is rounder and not as elongated as the 348. I discussed this with Sarah at Bodileys, and she got in touch with the people at C&J. According to them, the 358 fits a lot more like the 348 than it does the 337, so their advice was to go with a UK 8E.
Nice looking shoes - & I'm glad it worked out for you. As I posted on another related post, I had received the exact opposite advice about one year ago when Sarah contacted C&J about precisely the same question. I looked back at my e-mail string & found that I wrote at the time: ----- Original Message ----- From: andyxxxx-at-comcast.net To: sarah dudley Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:51 AM Subject: Re: 5106 Hi Sarah, Another quick question. Did you get a chance to ask C&J about sizing? I ordered a 9.5 but if the 358 last is similar to the 348 then it might be better to try a 9 (I have the Lowndes in 9). Thanks, Andy The response: From: "sarah dudley" <shoemail-at-skynet.co.uk> To: andyxxx-at-comcast.net Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:22:17 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific Subject: Re: 5106 Crocketts agreed with your decision 9.5 - the Selborne is a more similar shoe to the Audley(337 last - my edit). I will charge your card today. Kind regards Sarah I'm not trying to round on Sarah - who I will also agree is wonderful to deal with. The question that really baffles me is: how could C&J - the manufacturer get it so wrong? I don't want to hijack your thread & I'm not really seething about it or anything like that. Just scratching my head...

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review and great pictures.

Nice shoes, I really like them

flanker2000fr

Reaction score
Hello Votre Eminence,

I am very surprised that this is the feedback that C&J would have given at the time. When you put a 358 next to a 348 and 337, it's pretty obvious that they are more similar to the former than to the latter.

The best in case of doubt would be to ask Dimitri, since I think it's him who has designed these lasts.

card_richelieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by flanker2000fr
When you put a 358 next to a 348 and 337, it's pretty obvious that they are more similar to the former than to the latter.
I couldn't agree more. I should have listened to my self rather than the experts (no sarcasm intended).

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the prestwood is listed as aniline leather, which makes it difficult to achieve an antiqueing effect.

How would you compare the leather quality with your lowndes, especially in thickness and creasing?

The one thing that kept me from handgrade dainites is that C&J offers dainite in a few benchgrade models for lesser and one draw of their handgrades is the channelled oak bark soles.

Are dainites more expensive than oak bark soles? BNelson offers them for a little more in price than their JR soles, if I recall correctly.

card_richelieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
the prestwood is listed as aniline leather, which makes it difficult to achieve an antiqueing effect.

Could you elaborate? Thanks..

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as opposed to crust leather, or so i have been told.

I think several aniline leathers i have seen are no doubt of high quality and take a good shine, but their colors appear uniformly flat.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by card_richelieu
I couldn't agree more.

I should have listened to my self rather than the experts (no sarcasm intended).

they fit you or they don't?

flanker2000fr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Great looking shoes!

So you need a 8.5 in the 337 because they are not long enough for your feet? That's unusual, as IMO the 337 fits looser all around compared with the 348.

Lengthwise, the 358 looks identical to the 348? Is that so?

Let's put it this way: when I "mirror" a 348 in UK 8 to a 337 in UK 8.5 sole against sole, they are of the same length. If I were to get a 337 in UK 8, my toes would hit the tip as they would be too short. But you are right that the 337 in 8.5 then tends to fit a bit loose in the width / height, to the extend that I generally put a thin insole in order to tighten the fit.

Does this make any sense?

And yes, the 348 and the 358 are pretty much identical lengthwise.

flanker2000fr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Despite owning a few pairs of 358 and 348 shoes, I never made a comparison. The 358 is more forgiving than the 348 for fit and now I can see why!

My impressions after a full day wearing the Prestwood are similar to the ones expressed above: the 358 provides a bit more room than the 348, especially in the width. Which goes to confirm that it is an intermediate fit between the 337 and the 348: same length as the 348, but a tad more width, akin to the 337.

Another remark: these shoes are instantly comfortable and do not need a "break in" period. I attribute this to the dainite sole, which is a great deal more flexible than a normal leather sole. I had already experienced the same with my Highbury and my Tetbury.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads