• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Problem drinking (when is it too much)

Mr. Walter Trent

Reaction score
Since celebrating my 50th birthday, I've been reflecting on my health and I've started to wonder if my lifestyle is as healthy as I always thought. According to the doctor, I'm healthy (no major or minor illnesses) and fit (weekly exercise).

But, I drink.

I've always felt that something isn't a problem until it interferes with work. I don't miss work because I'm hungover and I never feel sick or overly tired in the morning. But, I drink a bottle of wine or 1500 to 2000 ml of beer per night (every night). Obviously, on special occasions I do over do things. But, I know to stay within my limit when necessary.

Here, among friends (who hopefully have a similar outlook as me), I want to ask where the line is. What separates us from the real problem drinkers?

Wally

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Walter Trent
Since celebrating my 50th birthday, I've been reflecting on my health and I've started to wonder if my lifestyle is as healthy as I always thought. According to the doctor, I'm healthy (no major or minor illnesses) and fit (weekly exercise).

But, I drink.

I've always felt that something isn't a problem until it interferes with work. I don't miss work because I'm hungover and I never feel sick or overly tired in the morning. But, I drink a bottle of wine or 1500 to 2000 ml of beer per night (every night). Obviously, on special occasions I do over do things. But, I know to stay within my limit when necessary.

Here, among friends (who hopefully have a similar outlook as me), I want to ask where the line is. What separates us from the real problem drinkers?

Wally

If you don't have that bottle of wine or beer on night, does it **** up your mood, sleep, morning? If so then I'd say there are some dependency issue. BUt hey, you're 50 and it has not negatively affected your career or social life (the latter I'm assuming). If the quantity disturbs you then make yourself cut back the quantity to half nightly or the same amount but a few times a week.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
If you don't have that bottle of wine or beer on night, does it **** up your mood, sleep, morning? If so then I'd say there are some dependency issue. BUt hey, you're 50 and it has not negatively affected your career or social life (the latter I'm assuming). If the quantity disturbs you then make yourself cut back the quantity to half nightly or the same amount but a few times a week.

that's basically what I would say - if you skip it what happens?

I think a bottle a night per person is a bit much, myself, but if it hasn't effected you in a negative way then its not the end of the world.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bottle per night is, generally speaking, a lot, but drinking practices vary a lot by culture. If you can't cut back or skip it for a while, you have a problem.

I'd also say that I know many high-functioning alcoholics, and you might be one. To me, it sounds like you need to reflect on the impact of booze on your life and also find out to what degree you are physically and/or psychologically dependent on alcohol.

celticgent

Reaction score
Here's a simple gauge:

Have you begun to question if you have a problem?
Has anyone who cares about you brought up your drinking in a negative way or commented that there might be a problem?
Do you ever have any feelings of guilt or remorse for your drinking, or things that you have done while/after drinking?

If so, you may have an issue and may want to look deeper.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celticgent
Here's a simple gauge:

celticgent is right - a yes to any of those questions means you should talk to someone about it.

Most quizzes/tests will trigger the same response on a minimal amount of questions (i.e. 3/10, 1/5, etc.)

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can't go without it, you have an issue. Try to break the routine. Don't drink for a week and see what happens. I was very much in the same boat recently. I would start drinking at work at 5 o'clock with associates, head home and plow through 1/2 a 5th of Vodka...pretty much 5 days a week...with continued weekend drinking. Now 1/2 a bottle of Vodka was generally my "limit," since more would put a hurtin' on me for sure come the morning. However, my body really started to get pissed off. I was not hung over in the morning, I was ILL, as in my liver was not functioning worth a damn. I was having cold sweats, anxiety attacks, shakes. Basically, I was going through physical withdrawal during the day. I dared not have a drink, even though I have a bar in my office and it would be perfectly acceptable to sit at my desk with a cocktail and work. This is New Orleans, and this is a hard drinking business.

Instead, I cut myself off and then way, way down. I was genuinely concerned though as it was interfering with my work, and it was causing serious issues at home, to the point where my wife was calling me an alcoholic.

So, my first suggestion to you is break the routine and get rid of the crutch. I found that I could simply give up booze with no ramifications. I still drink, but I have cut wayyyyyy back and I have very strict rules that I observe when doing so.

Mike

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks, be careful with alcohol withdrawal. It can be very dangerous. When in doubt, taper down.

starcrash

Reaction score
Alcoholism is a self-diagnosis, but here is a way to help decide for yourself:

Alcoholics Anonymous Twenty Questions (if the answer is yes to three or more, you may be an alcoholic):

1. Did you lose time from work due to drinking? ( ) ( )
2. Did drinking make your home life unhappy ( ) ( )
3. Did you drink because you were shy with people? ( ) ( )
4. Has drinking affected your reputation? ( ) ( )
5. Have you gotten into trouble with money because of your drinking? ( ) ( )
6. Did you associate with people you didn't respect and hang out
in places you didn't want to be in when drinking? ( ) ( )
7. Did your drinking make you careless of your family's welfare? ( ) ( )
8. Has your drinking decreased you ambition? ( ) ( )
9. Did you want a drink "the morning after?" ( ) ( )
10. Did you have a hard time sleeping because of your drinking? ( ) ( )
11. Has your ability to work decreased since drinking? ( ) ( )
12. Did drinking get you into trouble on the job or in business? ( ) ( )
13. Did you drink to escape from problems or worries? ( ) ( )
14. Did you drink alone? ( ) ( )
15. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a
result of drinking? ( ) ( )
16. Has a doctor ever treated you for drinking? ( ) ( )
17. Did you drink to build up self-confidence? ( ) ( )
18. Have you ever been arrested, locked up or
hospitalized on account of your drinking? ( ) ( )
19. Have you ever felt guilty after drinking? ( ) ( )
20. Did you have to have a drink at a certain time each day? ( ) ( )

For more info on AA: http://www.aa.org

r...

Reaction score
I answered yes to more than three but dont consider myself an alchy. Am I in denial?

To the OP, there's no reason to have more than a glass of wine a night on a consitant basis. You may not be an alchy but you sure keep the habits of one.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about all those questionnaires, but generally if you get drunk by yourself, I think you need to look into issues. If you're drinking the same amount but in a social setting, I don't necessarily think you have issues.

horton

Reaction score
+1 to celticgent

i think a bottle a night is a problem and would urge you to cut back

i used to drink wine with dinner every night (e.g., half a bottle) plus often have pre- or post-dinner cocktail.

now i might have one drink. period. and most nights none. I actually enjoy it more, and getting rid of all those empty calories helps in a lot of ways, including skin firmness etc.

starcrash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by r...
I answered yes to more than three but dont consider myself an alchy. Am I in denial?
You may be a heavy drinker and not an alcoholic. My point is that it's up for you to decide.

Two important questions for the OP:
1. When you take a drink, do you crave another?
2. Do you frequently think about alcohol when not drinking (including thinking about whether or not you should quit drinking)?

Many alcoholics exhibit the "phenomenon of craving" and a "mental obsession" in regards to alcohol (and/ or other mind-altering substances).

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by starcrash
Alcoholism is a self-diagnosis, but here is a way to help decide for yourself: Alcoholics Anonymous Twenty Questions (if the answer is yes to three or more, you may be an alcoholic): 1. Did you lose time from work due to drinking? ( ) ( ) 2. Did drinking make your home life unhappy ( ) ( ) 3. Did you drink because you were shy with people? ( ) ( ) 4. Has drinking affected your reputation? ( ) ( ) 5. Have you gotten into trouble with money because of your drinking? ( ) ( ) 6. Did you associate with people you didn’t respect and hang out in places you didn’t want to be in when drinking? ( ) ( ) 7. Did your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare? ( ) ( ) 8. Has your drinking decreased you ambition? ( ) ( ) 9. Did you want a drink “the morning after?” ( ) ( ) 10. Did you have a hard time sleeping because of your drinking? ( ) ( ) 11. Has your ability to work decreased since drinking? ( ) ( ) 12. Did drinking get you into trouble on the job or in business? ( ) ( ) 13. Did you drink to escape from problems or worries? ( ) ( ) 14. Did you drink alone? ( ) ( ) 15. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking? ( ) ( ) 16. Has a doctor ever treated you for drinking? ( ) ( ) 17. Did you drink to build up self-confidence? ( ) ( ) 18. Have you ever been arrested, locked up or hospitalized on account of your drinking? ( ) ( ) 19. Have you ever felt guilty after drinking? ( ) ( ) 20. Did you have to have a drink at a certain time each day? ( ) ( ) For more info on AA: http://www.aa.org
I always have a problem with these questionnaires. They make just about every college student an alcoholic. I could reasonably answer yes to 1, 3, 4, 6, 10, 14, 15, 17, and 19 during my first few years, although I've been drinking somewhat less these days. I think the fact that you're ASKING not only yourself, but others, if you have a problem, is a sign that you should change some things. Because if it's not a problem yet, it will be eventually.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads