• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burberry Trench Alterations

Lowndes

Reaction score
I am going to take a Burberry Trench to get it shortened by about 6 to 7 inches and for them to slim it up to fit me better in the body. I am not a fan of store alterations people usually but the Burberry store in San Francisco has a tailor on site who does this kind of thing. Since they are going to be fairly familiar with Burberry trenches do you think it is better to take it to them or to take it to a well respected local tailor? Thanks

Albern

Reaction score
I used my tailor to take in the sides of my Burberry trench, it turned out the way I wanted it. If you have a competent tailor I don't think it would be too difficult to do what you are asking for? My tailor took 2" on each side, from the bottom, up to the pit, and a bit of the underside of the sleeves to get the desired effect. Where it might get complicated is if your coat has the removable wool lining since that will have to be shortened too. How long is it on you now?

With Burberry it's almost like a two sided coin; on the one hand they make some of the best RTW trenches, on the other they're a high fashion brand so I think I see where your hesitation in using their in-store tailor might come from.

Have you spoken to either party about what you want to have done with the coat?

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
I used my tailor to take in the sides of my Burberry trench, it turned out the way I wanted it. If you have a competent tailor I don't think it would be too difficult to do what you are asking for? My tailor took 2" on each side, from the bottom, up to the pit, and a bit of the underside of the sleeves to get the desired effect. Where it might get complicated is if your coat has the removable wool lining since that will have to be shortened too. How long is it on you now?

With Burberry it's almost like a two sided coin; on the one hand they make some of the best RTW trenches, on the other they're a high fashion brand so I think I see where your hesitation in using their in-store tailor might come from.

Have you spoken to either party about what you want to have done with the coat?

Thanks for the advice. I would have to go look again but I want it shortened to where it just hits the top of my knee. I believe this is probably around 6 or 7 inches but it might be less. I was paying much attention because I figured that should be an easy alteration.

I gave a call to a tailor in San Fran and he said they could do it and it would be $75. I then called Burberry and the tailor wasn't in and the guy I talked to didn't know much.

As for the removable wool lining. I don't actually plan to every use it so am not too concerned.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Good post. I was thinking about the same thing.

Terrific, you take yours in first and if it is a success I just follow you to the same place.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm leaving mine as is. That length helps protect the suit.
Take before & after pics. I'd also like to see the outcome.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I'm leaving mine as is. That length helps protect the suit.
Take before & after pics. I'd also like to see the outcome.

Will do, it might be a couple of weeks before I get around to doing it though.

ssnyc

Reaction score
should have bought the modern fit.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lowndes
Thanks for the advice. I would have to go look again but I want it shortened to where it just hits the top of my knee. I believe this is probably around 6 or 7 inches but it might be less. I was paying much attention because I figured that should be an easy alteration.

I gave a call to a tailor in San Fran and he said they could do it and it would be $75. I then called Burberry and the tailor wasn't in and the guy I talked to didn't know much.

As for the removable wool lining. I don't actually plan to every use it so am not too concerned.

No problem. Based on your description am I right in assuming that the coat hits you at around mid calf? Would you consider leaving it as it? The length serves a function to keep you dry. When I got mine, it fell to the mid calf and it is currently my longest coat. I was a little self conscious about it at first with most people preferring much shorter lengths. I got used to it and I'm glad I didn't shorten it. To this day my trousers are still relatively dry compared to most.

Lowndes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
No problem. Based on your description am I right in assuming that the coat hits you at around mid calf? Would you consider leaving it as it? The length serves a function to keep you dry. When I got mine, it fell to the mid calf and it is currently my longest coat. I was a little self conscious about it at first with most people preferring much shorter lengths. I got used to it and I'm glad I didn't shorten it. To this day my trousers are still relatively dry compared to most.

I've thought about it because it isn't so longer to bother me that much. I just much prefer the length to be around my knees. If it is going to cost a ton of money to shorten or if it can't be done I would just leave it as is.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am more interested in taking in the sides so I don't have a lot of extra material. Length isn't an issue since I have a regular length and I'm 6' 2"

giasty

Reaction score
Hi Lowndes, I'd like to buy a Burberry trench but I'd have the same your problem, because size 46eu is a little bigger for me..
In Milan's boutique they say me that alterations can be done only for 100% cotton's trench..
In addiction, I listened that few boutiques do these alteration for free if you buy the trench from them..Hope these helps..

I follow this thread!If you can post pics I'mm appreciate
smile.gif

momanny

Reaction score
Did a search and couldn't find anything on point other than this old thread.

I have two size 42 US Burberry trench coats - different styles; I guess I lost some chub because I should've gotten a 40 US. I just need the waist tucked in a bit.

I read that Burberry has an in-house tailor that will alter trenches to taste. Any insight for NYC stores? Prices? etc..

Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads