or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Burberry Trench Alterations
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Burberry Trench Alterations

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 
I am going to take a Burberry Trench to get it shortened by about 6 to 7 inches and for them to slim it up to fit me better in the body. I am not a fan of store alterations people usually but the Burberry store in San Francisco has a tailor on site who does this kind of thing. Since they are going to be fairly familiar with Burberry trenches do you think it is better to take it to them or to take it to a well respected local tailor? Thanks
post #2 of 19
I used my tailor to take in the sides of my Burberry trench, it turned out the way I wanted it. If you have a competent tailor I don't think it would be too difficult to do what you are asking for? My tailor took 2" on each side, from the bottom, up to the pit, and a bit of the underside of the sleeves to get the desired effect. Where it might get complicated is if your coat has the removable wool lining since that will have to be shortened too. How long is it on you now?


With Burberry it's almost like a two sided coin; on the one hand they make some of the best RTW trenches, on the other they're a high fashion brand so I think I see where your hesitation in using their in-store tailor might come from.

Have you spoken to either party about what you want to have done with the coat?
post #3 of 19
Good post. I was thinking about the same thing.
post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albern View Post
I used my tailor to take in the sides of my Burberry trench, it turned out the way I wanted it. If you have a competent tailor I don't think it would be too difficult to do what you are asking for? My tailor took 2" on each side, from the bottom, up to the pit, and a bit of the underside of the sleeves to get the desired effect. Where it might get complicated is if your coat has the removable wool lining since that will have to be shortened too. How long is it on you now?


With Burberry it's almost like a two sided coin; on the one hand they make some of the best RTW trenches, on the other they're a high fashion brand so I think I see where your hesitation in using their in-store tailor might come from.

Have you spoken to either party about what you want to have done with the coat?


Thanks for the advice. I would have to go look again but I want it shortened to where it just hits the top of my knee. I believe this is probably around 6 or 7 inches but it might be less. I was paying much attention because I figured that should be an easy alteration.

I gave a call to a tailor in San Fran and he said they could do it and it would be $75. I then called Burberry and the tailor wasn't in and the guy I talked to didn't know much.

As for the removable wool lining. I don't actually plan to every use it so am not too concerned.
post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post
Good post. I was thinking about the same thing.

Terrific, you take yours in first and if it is a success I just follow you to the same place.
post #6 of 19
I'm leaving mine as is. That length helps protect the suit.
Take before & after pics. I'd also like to see the outcome.
post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint View Post
I'm leaving mine as is. That length helps protect the suit.
Take before & after pics. I'd also like to see the outcome.

Will do, it might be a couple of weeks before I get around to doing it though.
post #8 of 19
should have bought the modern fit.
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndes View Post
Thanks for the advice. I would have to go look again but I want it shortened to where it just hits the top of my knee. I believe this is probably around 6 or 7 inches but it might be less. I was paying much attention because I figured that should be an easy alteration.

I gave a call to a tailor in San Fran and he said they could do it and it would be $75. I then called Burberry and the tailor wasn't in and the guy I talked to didn't know much.

As for the removable wool lining. I don't actually plan to every use it so am not too concerned.

No problem. Based on your description am I right in assuming that the coat hits you at around mid calf? Would you consider leaving it as it? The length serves a function to keep you dry. When I got mine, it fell to the mid calf and it is currently my longest coat. I was a little self conscious about it at first with most people preferring much shorter lengths. I got used to it and I'm glad I didn't shorten it. To this day my trousers are still relatively dry compared to most.
post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albern View Post
No problem. Based on your description am I right in assuming that the coat hits you at around mid calf? Would you consider leaving it as it? The length serves a function to keep you dry. When I got mine, it fell to the mid calf and it is currently my longest coat. I was a little self conscious about it at first with most people preferring much shorter lengths. I got used to it and I'm glad I didn't shorten it. To this day my trousers are still relatively dry compared to most.

I've thought about it because it isn't so longer to bother me that much. I just much prefer the length to be around my knees. If it is going to cost a ton of money to shorten or if it can't be done I would just leave it as is.
post #11 of 19
I am more interested in taking in the sides so I don't have a lot of extra material. Length isn't an issue since I have a regular length and I'm 6' 2"
post #12 of 19
Pics of said trench!
post #13 of 19
Hi Lowndes, I'd like to buy a Burberry trench but I'd have the same your problem, because size 46eu is a little bigger for me..
In Milan's boutique they say me that alterations can be done only for 100% cotton's trench..
In addiction, I listened that few boutiques do these alteration for free if you buy the trench from them..Hope these helps..

I follow this thread!If you can post pics I'mm appreciate
post #14 of 19
No news?
post #15 of 19

Did a search and couldn't find anything on point other than this old thread.

 

I have two size 42 US Burberry trench coats - different styles; I guess I lost some chub because I should've gotten a 40 US. I just need the waist tucked in a bit.

 

I read that Burberry has an in-house tailor that will alter trenches to taste. Any insight for NYC stores? Prices? etc..

 

Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Burberry Trench Alterations