• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The SF takes Mexico City Thread

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I started the first two threads about Mexico City in DT which was stupid. So far, there are four people that have expressed real interest and a bunch of other PMs. They all start with "Not sure if you're serious". So, I am going to try to answer the questions here.

Originally Posted by acidboy
i smell man-****
I will not man-**** you and I hope not to be man-raped myself. If you are homosexual I know Condesa is good and a few other places in the more liberal parts of town. Coyoacan, as well. Heterosexual people will be able to find plenty to do in these places and will feel just as comfortable as any other area of the city.
Originally Posted by Flambeur
it is a really fun city.....
True
Originally Posted by thats.mana
You know what, this is interesting. I might not do a month but I'll put up my end of the bill. When?
May or June.
Originally Posted by hossoso
I would like to find a place in the Condessa or down by Trotsky's house but, if that falls through (i.e. you don't actually want to stay in the DF), I know a great place in Cuernavaca. That is a resort town (population 1 million) about 45 minutes outside of Mexico City-the house is 3 stories but I always rent out the first floor (sleeps four) for $400 a month. It is cheap enough that if you want to take a week in Guanajuato, Oaxaca, or the DF it isn't a huge bite out of your budget. I guess the only other things that I should include are that I drink... majestically... really, mind-blowingly, I actively seek out the wierd and arcane, I will make you laugh your ass off and show you the best time of your life. (No ****)
Yeah.
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
is this real or would you kidnap and behead me for some occult offering festivities?
confused.gif

I can't see into the future.
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven
are people pming you about this excursion?
Yes.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
hoss has a very rich interior life.
You're goddamned right I do.

The following is an exchange I had with erdawe. My responses are in bold.
erdawe said:
Hahah, **** awkward.. I'd get past that in a second if the person is easy going.

Wanted to have a good time with some R&R. I lean bit towards yin, but can hang with yang.

I'd never thought to explain myself this way but I am always at my most confident and in control when out of my element-Buenos Aires, Bangkok, Tokyo or Madrid-doesn't seem to matter.

Seeing interesting places is cool,

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting something cool in this city

just not interested to be in moronic situations asking for **** to happen.

Well than this isn't going to work at all.
smile.gif

Getting jacked (express kidnapping, w/e) isn't an adventure, it just sucks for anyone.

Let's see how we feel when we get down there

Having been there in the past I bet you're prob up on how to get around in one piece.

No problem--so far at least. You are starting to make me worry about meeting up with a guy wearing cargo shorts, flip-flops, AF tees and a huge diamond-encrusted watch. If you're an ugly American then nothing can save you.

Need a people I can roll with, trust is big.

That's mutual. I don't want any tough guys coming that will start a fight when the situation calls for low-key or someone that is going to panic if things don't go exactly as planned

Hmm, I occasionally eat meat, but don't press anything.

This is not an issue in any way--you can eat meat at every meal for all I care

Quick thought. How'd you get around the place last time, bus? Rented car?

In the DF, I go by subway or authentic taxis (you can tell which is which by asking a few questions, by calling a number for them to come or by sight--sometimes). To other cities from the DF, I'll get a 1st class bus. They are cheap, faster than a car and have AC reclining seats with video. Not always the case but, usually. Rent a car at your own risk. There are many reasons for that and I will go into it if you're curious.

Will have to give more thought later, but my brain's fried for now.

Now, if you're still interested, when do you want to go and what is on your must see list?

For either PocketSquareGuy or that's.mana
Do the
who: SF members and possibly an old friend of mine that is closing his restaurant in Puerto Rico and is thinking about relocating to the DF. I've never met a person that didn't like him.
what: Maybe a month in Mexico City, Puebla, Cuernava--I'm not particular. Trips to Oaxaca, Tepotzlan, Guanajuato whenever the mood hits. I know the DF pretty well and know how to get around, what there is to see, how to get there and how not to get robbed. Mostly.
when: I want to go in May or June
where: Depends on how many people go. Last time I was there I rented a 3 story house for just under 4 months, if only one other person goes it will probably be a 2 bedroom house or apartment.
cost: I don't know how many people are going or how long each person will stay. There are no time commitments. These places usually rent out by the week. Too many variable to say for sure how much it would run you.

If anyone has any other questions, could you please post them here so I don't have to Frankenstein another post together? Thank you.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
post pics of the man-**** later

jhao

Reaction score
I live in Monterrey, but I travel to Mexico City twice a month. I'll be checking this thread

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhao
I live in Monterrey, but I travel to Mexico City twice a month. I'll be checking this thread
Looking for ignorant, wealthy tourists to rob?
smile.gif
I was planning on going down there to mug them, but it's kind of far. I'll let you have it since it's on your home turf.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Anyone ever seen Hostel or Touristas?
Yes. Somehow, I'm still not too big of a ***** to go to the DF. Are you afraid of LA and New York? Are you one of those guys that dies at 100 having never left your part of the country?
Originally Posted by jhao
Do you have any tips on week-to-week places in DF, Guanajuato (where I want to get back to most), Puebla or... that's it I guess. I already know a good place in Cuernavaca but would love to hear any other suggestions.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
This one is large in sq. ft. (3 bedrooms), right in the middle of everything, a little more expensive than I had planned (but I guess that is what you get for the location) and looks like my grandmothers house. Ahh, yeah... *******. Nobody is going to get laid or throw any parties here but I am leaving it up since I already moved the pictures.

Date: Monday, March 08, 2010

Category: Apartments/Flats/Houses

Region: Mexico City

Description: In the center of it all!! Large apartment in a wonderful location for international or national businesspersons or students/interns/researchers who want to live in the heart of Mexico City. It's a 3 bedroom, shared apartment,(each bedroom is rented separately, with the run of the whole apartment...yes, it is that big!) just 1/2 block off of Reforma Avenue, 5 blocks from the Angel of Independence. 1/2 block away from the popular shopping mall and business complex Reforma 222, too! Art deco style building. Fully furnished, large kitchen, high ceilings, wireless internet, washer/dryer. Decorated in Mexican style, with a hint of Chinese and chickens! GREAT PLACE in a perfect location! $550 U.S. per month for the largest bedroom, $450.00 USD per month for the smaller bedroom. Shared utilities. (Deposit equal to one month's rent, due at time of rental.)

edit: *Found pics of better places--deleted*

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was just kidding with the man-**** bit, fwiw. I'm just jealous I'm half a world away and I do wish I could go to Mexico and do stuff thats not included in a lonely planet shitguide.

But if sodomy is part of the itinerary, just bite the penis off if you can.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
I was just kidding with the man-**** bit, fwiw. I'm just jealous I'm half a world away and I do wish I could go to Mexico and do stuff thats not included in a lonely planet shitguide. But if sodomy is part of the itinerary, just bite the penis off if you can.
You know, if we didn't discuss it before we got down there it would be weird. Peoples feelings might get hurt--butt-hurt. I know you were joking. On to other business. It took me about five minutes to find some waaaayyy better places than the one I listed above. I found one that is in the weirdest, most beautiful, odd-fairy tale city I can image for $375 a month (I have spent a week there and it rivals Toledo, Spain for being just mind-boggling stunning). They won't let be takes pics out of their slideshow. If you have never been to Guanajuato look it up. http://www.gtomex.com/CN/peternewman.html <<< That's the place. 2 bedroom, studio with couch, 2.5 baths Sleeps 4- 6. $ 1,500 mo. Cleaning once per week, Wi-Fi. Spectacular Architecture One of the Most Beautiful Views Over Guanajuato City !! I'll sleep on the couch or in the attached studio and pay full share if this can happen.

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this sounds fun, ill be checking back with hopes of a trip starting in mid august

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
^ That looks really ******* nice.
No ****. We won't get anything nearly that nice in the DF though. I suppose it makes more sense to stay in Mexico City as Guanajuato is a bit isolated but, I am in love with the city. Can you imagine all the German back-packerettes we could get back to that place?
Originally Posted by phreak
this sounds fun, ill be checking back with hopes of a trip starting in mid august
I really hope I don't have to wait that long. Maybe you'll luck out though. I talked with erdawe last night and I liked the guy. It sounds like he is in. I am going to call that's.mana this evening. If he decides to come too, that is a good number. Maybe one more. After that enrollment for the Mexico/SF adventure will be closed on my end. If anyone else wants to come they will have to find their own place to stay.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
http://www.gtomex.com/Luna3/luna3br.html Another place in Guanajuato. This one has 3 bedrooms and is $650 a month. So about $215 pp. I just realized that, once we get down there, nothing is stopping us from getting a place for one or two weeks and then changing cities. The monthly rates are sometimes discounted from week-to-week but not always.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with thats.mana. He's in. That leaves one spot left.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I can't believe I've got two non-psychopaths lined up to go. SF was a total ******* shot in the dark but Eric and Mana both seem sane. I realize this could blow up in my face but I don't want to live forever. We're going on May 9th. Three is an easily workable number so if anyone else wants in that isn't a friend of mine outside of the internet--speak up, you've a couple of days.

*Mana is cautious, he would love to see, first hand, Asian culture filtered through Latin America (I'll take him to the Zona Rosa [Korea Town] but I'll have to look up other places), it is his first time in a really large city and he has expressed the normal concerns. I think he'll adapt pretty quickly and enjoy himself. He has a great respect for the dead but it doesn't manifest itself the same way as Mexican respect for the dead does. Mexican culture is quite upfront with it and I fear I may have been too blunt in my recollections. I'm not sure how to handle that best. I know a guy down there (in the church-no occult, promise) that would love to talk with him about the similarities between Asian and Latin procedures, I may just say ******* and go get drunk. Also, it is not in my best interest to make anyone uncomfortable. Based solely on one conversation, I may be the more adventurous/outgoing, I may not be. Win/win.

*erdawe, that's not his real name. He had as many questions as Mana and then some. I would be deeply suspicious of both of them if they weren't cautious. He wants everything the city, Mexico even, has to offer but would rather not get shot, robbed, mugged, raped, kid-napped or shanghai'd. I don't blame him, all that **** blows. He's the youngest of the group. Luckily for him, this trip will probably age him 3-4 years. He doesn't turn his nose up at a dance club so I will probably part ways with him in la Condesa and go drink-heavily-before stumbling back to see if he is ready to go (picking up every woman in Zona Roma on the way).

I won't be sure what to make of either of these two until we meet in DF... I mean, until we're eye to eye. I know that if they don't try to slow me down that they will have the times of their lives--no matter how miserable it might be. erdawe and I both agreed that we have bad cameras and can't snap a picture for ****. I hope Mana can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads