or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Persian Rugs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Persian Rugs - Page 5

post #61 of 71
I buy them at auction and usually pay a couple thousand dollars for a good one hand knotted in silk or wool. I'm sure you'd pay quite a bit more at retail as most people I end up bidding against are dealers or some form or reseller. Anymore I find them to be in contrast with the majority of my style for furnishings so I am looking at Christopher Farr rugs, but I enjoy the ones I have. I recently posted a pic of my Ferragamos and the rug under them is 100% silk, hand knotted, probably 50 years old or so.
post #62 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

I buy them at auction and usually pay a couple thousand dollars for a good one hand knotted in silk or wool. I'm sure you'd pay quite a bit more at retail as most people I end up bidding against are dealers or some form or reseller. Anymore I find them to be in contrast with the majority of my style for furnishings so I am looking at Christopher Farr rugs, but I enjoy the ones I have. I recently posted a pic of my Ferragamos and the rug under them is 100% silk, hand knotted, probably 50 years old or so.

Which auctions? Thanks.
post #63 of 71
Depends, I mostly prefer liquidators for rugs, but once in a while I'll go to a regular estate auction. Liquidators are great because you don't need two bidders and there is rarely a high starting price.
post #64 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Depends, I mostly prefer liquidators for rugs, but once in a while I'll go to a regular estate auction. Liquidators are great because you don't need two bidders and there is rarely a high starting price.

Cool. Any suggestions for a good listing of auctions of estate sales? I am looking for a nice antique persian rugs for my place. Finding them at low prices like you mentioned would be awesome. Thanks
post #65 of 71
We came about the current one by accident and now they send me a letter when they're having an auction in the area. Are you ever in Princeton?

The other estate auctions we've come about by chance as well. My only advice, be careful, we've had some promising auctions ruined by new bidders that are, for whatever reason, buying up everything.
post #66 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

We came about the current one by accident and now they send me a letter when they're having an auction in the area. Are you ever in Princeton?
The other estate auctions we've come about by chance as well. My only advice, be careful, we've had some promising auctions ruined by new bidders that are, for whatever reason, buying up everything.

Gotcha. I'm never anywhere near Princeton. I assume you mean NJ. If you wouldn't mind sharing the name of the place that sends you the letters for the auctions, I would really appreciate it. You can just send me a PM. Thanks.
post #67 of 71
alright, i'll take a look around and see if i can find one of them.
post #68 of 71
Thanks.
post #69 of 71
I thought I'd cross post this here in case anyone is subscribed to the thread. This was my go to thread a couple years back when I started searching for nice rugs.

A Very Special Rug Sale & Show This Saturday in New York City

As Featured in Vogue & National Geographic Traveler

Hamza Yidiz (from Istanbul) Rug Sale & Show
Where: 111 Grand Street - Brooklyn (Williamsburg)
When: THIS SATURDAY - December 1st - 5pm to 7pm

I'm posting this because I met this guy and visited his store in Istanbul this past summer. I bought two rugs there (and shipped them to NYC) and love them both. A few days before I was in the store he sold 5 rugs ($$$$) to a guy on the Upper East side. Unfortunately I'm not getting a discount or anything for posting this, but wanted to pass along this info because it's the type of stuff I like to find on "styleforum". I spent a ton of time searching for a nice rug in NYC... and finally found exactly what I wanted when I visited his shop in Istanbul.

These guys are the "real deal". They source from Persia/Iraq, Turkey, and Turkmenistan. The only way you can get a better deal is if you speak Turkish or Arabic and travel to the remote villages in which these rugs are made. They are a supplier to ABC carpets on Broadway. So you can buy his stuff there, or you can buy from him directly and save some serious $$$.

You can see some examples on their website:
http://www.seeingisdreaming.com/index.html

Tons of information about rugs on another site they have:
http://www.noahsarkcarpetskilims.com/

If you are in the market for a rug, I highly recommend you don't miss this chance. And if you just like seeing nice things and happen to be in the area, you should wander in.
post #70 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post

For what it's worth, I got a decent one on overstock.com recently. It's what I'd call mid-to-low range -- hand knotted, 200 knots per inch. Soft wool, substantial, very neatly made. Made in China, but a traditional design. Looks nice. Cost about half to a third of what you'd pay locally. I'm happy with it.

I need to rescind this recommendation. I've since bought and returned two rugs from overstock that were grossly misadvertised as to the knot count--like 100 knots sold as 250 and 40 sold as 150. It's a real crap shoot with them.
post #71 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataturk View Post


I need to rescind this recommendation. I've since bought and returned two rugs from overstock that were grossly misadvertised as to the knot count--like 100 knots sold as 250 and 40 sold as 150. It's a real crap shoot with them.

 

Personally, I don't think you can buy a rug online.  You have to touch it, feel it, flip it, see the silk content, see how it was finished and see the thickness.  Photos just don't do it justice.  A proper legit rug is not cheap, but the quality is always reflected (given, you don't get ripped off).  A legit rug should be nice enough, and usually, hung up on walls as art. 

 

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong and like anything else, at the end of the day, it is your hard earned money going into what you buy. 

 

There are so many ways to buy great rugs.  We've bought at shops, factories and friends of friends who buy them back home.  When you're paying that much money, I want the experience of buying the rug and learning about the products.  That way, my next purchase will be a more educated buy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Persian Rugs