or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › J.Crew consensus
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

J.Crew consensus - Page 2

post #16 of 37
several notches higher than the other mall brands (gap, br, zara...)
post #17 of 37
I cannot take a store seriously that stocks dress shirts in S/M/L sizing. Their site also features comically bad fits on its models, i.e.:
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...4258/24258.jsp
post #18 of 37
their higher quality dress shirts (thomas mason) are sized by neck/sleeve but their more casual shirts are s/m/l which i don't mind in general, i like the shorts, t shirts, sweaters, some of the outerwear and the cords, they have some unique pieces but the normal prices just aren't worth it
post #19 of 37
I wouldn't spend the prices for their suiting, but for casual wear they're perfectly fine, and great for students or younger people who can't quite afford more expensive/higher quality items.
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidboy View Post
several notches higher than the other mall brands (gap, br, zara...)


Actually, I'd go with this order BR, Gap, JC - hell BR crap wear is probably the best mall brand when it's on sale. I have to give JCrew the edge for their outerwear - it's a bit better than BR/Gap
post #21 of 37
There are 100 page threads devoted just to J. Crew in Streetwear & Denim. It's love or hate for the most part.
post #22 of 37
I have fit issues with J.Crew and BR suits, blazers, dress shirts,... but not issues with their quality/price . Both are half canvassed, BR uses Loro Piana fabric, J Crew sometimes uses Yorkshire Tweed,... On sale you can buy a J Crew full suit for less than $200. Yesterday you could even buy a slim fit(Ludlow) pinstripe suit in a 40L for less than $125 out the door. I think the jacket just sold out, but the pants are only $35 right now. You can't beat that.
post #23 of 37
In J. Crew I have several shirts, one chinos and one pr. of retro boots. All are fine.
I rather like 2 linen JC shirts I bought last year too. Thumbs up.
post #24 of 37
Almost all of my casual shirts are JCrew and I have tons of sweaters...I do think they have dropped off recently with the quality, and I also think that their collaborations are WAY overpriced, especially given that those NEVER go on sale. They do ALWAYS give 15% student and teacher discounts though, so thats cool.
post #25 of 37
Their jackets don't fit great, they pull at my chest.

But the chinos I like a lot, for someone with athletic build - slim waist and bulky thighs - they're right on the button.
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofstyle View Post
Their jackets don't fit great, they pull at my chest.
Unless everyone else is built exactly like you, this is a pretty pointless comment.

My take - reasonable-for-the-price/interesting fabrics notwithstanding, their jackets are consistently ruined by low-set armholes. Their jacket hemlines are creeping up and up with each season as well.
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post
Unless everyone else is built exactly like you, this is a pretty pointless comment.
Not really, I find J Crew jackets fit oddly around the front, compared to other makes.
Quote:
My take - reasonable-for-the-price/interesting fabrics notwithstanding, their jackets are consistently ruined by low-set armholes. Their jacket hemlines are creeping up and up with each season as well.
Talk about useless comments; the J. Crew cord jackets I own from late '08 have small arm holes.
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofstyle View Post
Not really, I find J Crew jackets fit oddly around the front, compared to other makes.
Not everyone has the same build as you - or the same shoulder to chest 'drop'. Or the same threshold for something as nebulous and ill-defined as 'fits oddly'. It's like someone making a blanket remark about EG's last 82 'not fitting well'. Or someone complaining that a Chester Jeffries glove has a thumb that is 'cut too long'. How are these comments of use to anyone who does not have the exact same measurements as you, or the exact same feet, or the exact same thumb length?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofstyle View Post
Talk about useless comments; the J. Crew cord jackets I own from late '08 have small arm holes.
Compared to what? Lauren by Ralph Lauren? Merona? I've got a herringbone tweed from that exact same season that has low armholes.
post #29 of 37
Thread Starter 
So does RL. Even Purple Label and Black label have shirts that come in S/M/L sizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat View Post
I cannot take a store seriously that stocks dress shirts in S/M/L sizing. Their site also features comically bad fits on its models, i.e.:
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...4258/24258.jsp
post #30 of 37
It's my casual go to for the most part. Great sweaters and cardigans!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › J.Crew consensus