• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MLB 2009 - 2010 Season Thread

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll get this started. Joe Nathan
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Tests on Nathan's right throwing elbow have revealed a significant tear in the ulnar collateral ligament, an injury that could require season-ending Tommy John surgery. Nathan's 246 saves over six seasons are the most in the majors during that span.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...ory?id=4978634

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
ichiroswings4u.jpg

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Yeah. Sux. Who they gonna get?
Its looking like Guerrier or the new guy, Rauch, will step in.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that ump has some stumpy assed legs. it could just be barrel distortion from the camera.. but ichiro and the catcher are looking proportional.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
that ump has some stumpy assed legs. it could just be barrel distortion from the camera.. but ichiro and the catcher are looking proportional.

No, the ump was an oompa loompa.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My boy Torii is back in the news. Always promises to be entertaining.

"People see dark faces out there, and the perception is that they're African-American. They're not us. They're impostors. Even people I know come up and say: 'Hey, what color is Vladimir Guerrero? Is he a black player?' I say, 'Come on, he's Dominican. He's not black.' ...

"As African-American players, we have a theory that baseball can go get an imitator and pass them off as us. It's like they had to get some kind of dark faces, so they go to the Dominican or Venezuela because you can get them cheaper. It's like, 'Why should I get this kid from the South Side of Chicago and have Scott Boras represent him and pay him $5 million when you can get a Dominican guy for a bag of chips?' ... I'm telling you, it's sad," he said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=4983236

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ There aren't that many black players in baseball nowadays, but the ones who are in are F-ing awesome.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^True. The Phillies were the last NL team to integrate (10 YEARS after Jackie Robinson)--it's interesting that Jimmy Rollins and Ryan Howard, two of the biggest African American stars, are on the team.

Oh, also.
philliesspringbasebrotz.jpg

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
^True. The Phillies were the last NL team to integrate (10 YEARS after Jackie Robinson)--it's interesting that Jimmy Rollins and Ryan Howard, two of the biggest African American stars, are on the team.

Oh, also.
philliesspringbasebrotz.jpg

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I hate you guys
frown.gif

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of black players, does anyone think that both Ricky Weeks and Delmon Young are busts yet? It seems to me that Weeks has been injuried too much to really be evaluated but Young has been a near complete bust for the "Albert Belle" hype that surrounded him.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Speaking of black players, does anyone think that both Ricky Weeks and Delmon Young are busts yet? It seems to me that Weeks has been injuried too much to really be evaluated but Young has been a near complete bust for the "Albert Belle" hype that surrounded him.

Delmon is still very young (23, I think) and going into this year he lost around 20 pound, he should be much improved. Weeks has always been injured...

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Delmon is still very young (23, I think) and going into this year he lost around 20 pound, he should be much improved. Weeks has always been injured...

Delmon turns 25 in September. I'll agree he's still young, but he's been getting worse every year. His defense is bad, he can't make contact, and his pitch recognition is atrocious. Give him another year, but if he doesn't turn it around this season, I'm not sure I'd be optimistic about his future.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
Delmon turns 25 in September. I'll agree he's still young, but he's been getting worse every year. His defense is bad, he can't make contact, and his pitch recognition is atrocious. Give him another year, but if he doesn't turn it around this season, I'm not sure I'd be optimistic about his future.

He improved towards the end of last season. I agree though, this is his year to prove or disprove himself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads