• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapel positioning

vncrz

Reaction score
I recently realized, though in hindsight it seems patently obvious, why some wider lapeled jackets, all else constant, look very appealing and others horrible to my eyes. As the pics below show, the difference is how high the lapel rides up to. In the top pic, the widest part of the label is roughly in line with the shoulders and the shirt collar, while it reaches considerably lower in the bottom pic.

Any name for this, and are they endemic to any particular style?

lapel1.jpg

lapel2.jpg

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's high gorge/low gorge.

I personally prefer a higher gorge and the main thing I look for is that it is at least perpendicular with the shoulder line.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMHO a low gorge never looks good. I will always wear higher gorges and have passed on many suits because of low gorges.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I've passed on some myself. But I've passed on others because the gorge was too high.

Too low or too high, both look silly and will eventually date.

Gospel.

HitMan009

Reaction score
Is this where the term "top notch" comes from?
confused.gif

The reason why most RTW suits have lower gorges is to allow for men with bigger chest. The bigger the chest, the higher the gorge would appear on the wearer. So to accommodate this, gorges have to be a bit lower on RTW. A high gorge is definitely better in most cases but not to some of the ridiculous extremes that fashion has taken things to.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
IMHO a low gorge never looks good. I will always wear higher gorges and have passed on many suits because of low gorges.

+1, but I also agree with Doc, you can also go too high. It's a fine line, but looks great when you get it right (ie. to your own personal preferences).

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you're 6' 4" anything will appear to be a high gorge to the average person. That said, I prefer a high gorge to a low one and when I see men in suits with the latter I immediately think, "dated suit". A higher gorge will always look sharper than a lower one. Screw fads.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you're 6' 4" anything will appear to be a high gorge to the average person. That said, I prefer a high gorge to a low one and when I see men in suits with the latter I immediately think, "dated suit". A higher gorge will always look sharper than a lower one. Screw fads.

+1

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ithaca FTW!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You think the dudes in the '80s thought the same thing, only in reverse?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics