• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iammatt Makes Me Peking Duck

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
This thread is way overdue. Way, way overdue. I think this event took place between Christmas and NYE, IIRC.

Anyway, Matt invited me over as a practice run for a peking duck he was cooking for a party. So down I came. He had already done most of the cooking. He has posted his method/procedures for Peking Duck on SF before, but the gist of it is: blow duck up with air, let dry out for a day, dip in boiling water a few times, then hang and let it steam for a day or two. Then, you rub it with honey I think, and something else, and roast it until the skin is crispitty crunchy.

The very first thing we ate were little hors d'oeuvres of shrimp toast and crab rangoon. We had to do something Americanized today!

He already had the duck in the oven by the time I got there, so I didn't have to do anything at all, really!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Here is the picture of the duck out of the oven:

pekingduckroasted.jpg

Just absolutely beautiful. So dark, so flavorful.

Here is the skin after removing it:
pekingduckskin.jpg

And the head of the duck:
pekingduckhead-1.jpg

And his homemade Chinese pancakes:
pekingduckpancakes.jpg

Our first course consisted of the duck skin, the duck breast sliced thin, Chinese pancakes, bean sprouts, scallions, and hoisin sauce. Oh, and the head as well.
The first course was just great. So simple, but absolutely delicious. The skin was so crispy, the pancakes so light and airy, and the duck breast was still very juicy. Also, the head was interesting. The beak was not very good at all--- which is to be expected. But the tongue was incredible in flavor. So were the brain and the cheeks. Since it was one duck between the three of us, we each only got a little taste of the brain, but man was it good. Such a great, creamy texture, that just melted away in your mouth.

Now, on to the second and third courses. I cannot remember which order this goes in, but they consisted of: A soup broth made from the carcass, with bok choy, and a stir fry made of the dark meat, bean sprouts, and chili oil.

The soup broth, as it cooks:
soupbase.jpg

Very rustic, and we wanted it that way. So no skimming of the broth (sorry Manton, don't hate us).
The soup broth w/ bok choy:
pekingducksoup.jpg

Stir fry, cooking:
stirfrycooking.jpg

Stir fry, plated:
pekingduckstirfry.jpg

Now, you guys already know Matt is a very capable cook and knows his way around the kitchen. But I have to say this: The stir fry course was the single most perfectly seasoned dish I have ever had in my life. I mean that. In restaurants, at home, wherever. Nothing I've eaten has ever been as perfectly seasoned as this dish was. It was incredible.

Anyway, that was that. I think Matt or his wife might have more pictures, but it has been so long since we did this that they might have deleted them. Sorry for the delay in getting these up. But as you can see, it was a really great meal.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I think this event took place between Christmas and NYE, IIRC.

You don't say.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks pretty good alright

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You don't say.

frown.gif
On my actual day off.
frown.gif

As I said in the post, don't hate me.
I think over dinner we even talked about how I had to miss your Christmas thing, and how much that sucked.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tread carefully, Kyle.

BTW: those things you call Chinese pancakes - down here we call them tortillas. Just sayin'
laugh.gif

origenesprit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you ate the duck's head?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
BTW: those things you call Chinese pancakes - down here we call them tortillas. Just sayin'
laugh.gif

I thought that too.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by origenesprit
you ate the duck's head?
Not all at once. None of the bones or anything. I did try the beak. But for the cheeks, tongue, and brain, we just cut them out of the skull.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Man, you spent a large amount of time getting fed by middle aged men over Xmas and NYE.
laugh.gif

Looks like great duck though!

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Man, you spent a large amount of time getting fed by middle aged men over Xmas and NYE.

A rather disturbing trend, I'd say.

Does your mother know about these trysts, kwilk?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube

He told me she did.
frown.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
laugh.gif

Looks like great duck though!

Actually, the thing with Matt was on Xmas day. I skipped my work Xmas party for it. What day did we go to Charcuterie after work?
Originally Posted by Dakota rube

Mommy knows everything. Even about you.

emptym

Reaction score
Awesome. He made me some pizza and it was special. But this kicks that's butt.

This, among other posts, demonstrates that Matt spends his time well. Well... except for when he's (a) posting on CE or (b) reading Hayek in prep for a. JK.

I've been afraid to cook for him. But some day I'll cook some Filipino adobo for you guys. Maybe we could make it a potluck, and he could bring the stir fry.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Actually, the thing with Matt was on Xmas day. I skipped my work Xmas party for it. What day did we go to Charcuterie after work?

Boxing Day (12/26 for you guys).

Then I got all disappointed when you let work interfere with our Wednesday dinner plans
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads