or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke pronunciation
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bespoke pronunciation - Page 2

post #16 of 33
Call it what you want and mean what you say.

As with all words, depends on the listener. Bespoke should only really mean one thing - custom can mean many, but if I ask my tailor to make a couple custom shirts for me, he'll know what I'm talking about.
post #17 of 33
True. Plus right now I don't have much time to argue because my oven kinda just exploded.
post #18 of 33
Personally, in real life, I've never used the word bespoke and prefer the word custom.

There's also been arguments on here ad nauseam on what is custom and what is bespoke and what is MTM.

Some say that for it to be bespoke you have to have your own pattern...

Some say that for it to be bespoke you have to have the person that cuts the pattern measure you...

Some say that for it to be bespoke you have to have the person that cuts the pattern measure you and make most of the garment...

Some use "custom" and "bespoke" interchangeably....

Some use "custom" and "MTM" incderchangeably...

Some call stuff that's MTM "bespoke" and vice versa...

bla bla bla and so on and so forth
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovan
True. Plus right now I don't have much time to argue because my oven kinda just exploded.
If the UF town in your profile suggests you go to college, you should know that college students are typically relegated to microwave-use only, for a reason.. at least until Jr. year. Otherwise, sorry to hear that. Oh and odoreater, are you suggesting StyleForum isn't........... real life?
post #20 of 33
Eh. Well how am I supposed to make oven-baked midnight munchies now? I swear it wasn't my fault. -_- Thing's probably just old, but at least it's covered in this place.
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik
If the UF town in your profile suggests you go to college, you should know that college students are typically relegated to microwave-use only, for a reason.. at least until Jr. year.

Otherwise, sorry to hear that.

Oh and odoreater, are you suggesting StyleForum isn't........... real life?


If real life is bespoke then styleforum is MTM
post #22 of 33
Gah, don't start waxing philosophical. My head already hurts from this putrid smoke.
post #23 of 33
Midnight munchies - Bagel bites are twice as good from the oven as they are from the microwave, but it can be done! And I don't know about you, but when I was in college, Ramen Noodles? C'mon.. gotta have the microwave for those. Are you sure that SF isn't to real life as Kiton is to Mr Neds? (No inexpensive suit bespoke is coming to mind right now...) Both are bespoke, one is just ... for lack of a better term (I'd buy Neds suits, I can't afford Kiton bespoke) more elite?
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik
Midnight munchies - Bagel bites are twice as good from the oven as they are from the microwave, but it can be done!

And I don't know about you, but when I was in college, Ramen Noodles? C'mon.. gotta have the microwave for those.

Are you sure that SF isn't to real life as Kiton is to Mr Neds? (No inexpensive suit bespoke is coming to mind right now...)

Both are bespoke, one is just ... for lack of a better term (I'd buy Neds suits, I can't afford Kiton bespoke) more elite?

Oh no, don't get me wrong, SF is VERY elite. SF is at least Oxxford MTM.
post #25 of 33
Bespoke or tailor-made solutions is the only other way I use the word in real life.
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by montmorency
Also, the fact that some merchants abuse the word custom does not change its meaning. If the term bespoke were widely used in the U.S., then some manufacturers or stores would use it to tout their goods too. For all I know, some merchants already do. The true meaning of the work remains. The buyer has to beware to make sure that what is being sold matches its description.

Reminds me of the not-so-dearly-departed Britches of Georgetowne here in DC - they had a house line of shirts called 'Bespoke'. They were OTR.

Talk about mind-bending...
post #27 of 33
Actually, its Be-spank, which is what tailor's would do to their clients when they did not pay.

Jon.

(it's a long, rainy day today...)
post #28 of 33
Somehow "custom" brings to mind grilles, bling, rims, and such.
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
Somehow "custom" brings to mind grilles, bling, rims, and such.

No, that's "Be fly" or "Be chill" or some such thing.
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by montmorency
The term bespoke originated in England.

I dare say that's true of most of the words we use...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Bespoke pronunciation