• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My solution for toe taps

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is my solution for the toe tap: a piece of suede leather glued in using super glue Pros: - Total control of aesthetic and color (not ugly as normal taps out there) - None slippery (since it's suede) - tested on several surfaces - Easily removable and make no mark - Super cheap ($7 leather + $3 glue = at least 5 pairs -> $2/pair) - Wear out slower than rubber - No noise Cons: - DIY (about 10-15 mins a pair)
img6743l.jpg
Update 1 (Mar 7, 2010): After 1 full day of walking (roughly 6-7 miles) around on many types of unusual surfaces (ice + salt, muddy grass, pebbles, rough cement). Looks totally fine.
img6744o.jpg

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Nick at B. Nelson did this for me on a pair of C&Js which needed it badly (I wear out the toes way too fast) and he did an incredible job..even stitched the leather toe tap in, so after wearing a few times it doesn't even look like any "surgery" was done. He did it very quickly, too...maybe in a day.

Nick does really really good work.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't think of this at all. But on my way back to work today, I stopped by a craft store, and found out that they have several types of leather. Work quite well, those I can't do any stitching :p.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Here is my solution for the toe tap: a piece of suede leather glued in using super glue
Neat job.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Great idea, I plan on trying this.

EZ

arc

Reaction score
Looks great. Can you just cut the suede with an x-acto knife, or do you need something a bit more heavy duty?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Neat job.
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
Great idea, I plan on trying this.

EZ

Thanks

Originally Posted by arc
Looks great. Can you just cut the suede with an x-acto knife, or do you need something a bit more heavy duty?

Just normal kitchen scissors (mine is a Shun FWIW). The leather is about 2.5mm thick

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Thanks
Just normal kitchen scissors (mine is a Shun FWIW). The leather is about 2.5mm thick

Did you just apply this directly on top of the leather sole?

somerandomguy66

Reaction score
Nice. I think I will be doing this.
A better glue to use would probably be barge cement or shoe goo, yeah?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to pick up some leather scraps tomorrow and try that out, only stiched on (got an awl and I'm not afraid to use it). Great idea, also solves the noise problem.

Actually, I may not try that tomorrow since I need to send the shoes I would be trying it on off for new heels before I wear them again, but still a really cool idea.

Stavros

Reaction score
What kind of glue would one use for this?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stavros
What kind of glue would one use for this?

Originally Posted by somerandomguy66
Nice. I think I will be doing this.
A better glue to use would probably be barge cement or shoe goo, yeah?

I just picked up a $3 tube of Duco Cement at a local hardware store. Easy to use, dry not too fast, but not too slow -> you can put the piece of leather in and take your time adjust to the right place, and no mess on your hand. The instruction said that it takes 15 mins for the glue to set, 30-60 mins to hold tightly, and 16 hours to reach the maximum strength.

There might be better glues out there, but this works very well already.

Stavros

Reaction score
^^ Do you need to apply pressure to the tap during this time?

derschas

Reaction score
Wonderfully simple solution, I've been looking for some kind of simple, stylish solution to my toe wear problem for some time. Will definitely try it out

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads