• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mens Stores Rochester and Philadelphia

CMJTperry

Reaction score
Heading to both cities in next couple weeks. Wondered what the best stores for mens clothing would be. Something other then chain stores would be great.

WJSESQ

Reaction score
In Rochester, Hickey-Freeman has an outlet store in their factory. I think it's on Avenue D about 5 minutes north of downtown. Great deals are available.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Center City (all walkable), there's Boyd's (18th and Chestnut, for the high-end men's clothing, but recently it's been disappointing), Barney's Co-op (Rittenhouse Square for high-end Streetwear and Denim), and Daffy's for Mabitex and maybe some shirts (17th and Chestnut).
There are also a few bespoke shirt makers in town.
If you have a car:
King of Prussia Mall which has some high end stores, but I've never been there. There's also Franklin Mills Mall which has factory stores (BB & RL).

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
In Center City (all walkable), there's Boyd's (18th and Chestnut, for the high-end men's clothing, but recently it's been disappointing), Barney's Co-op (Rittenhouse Square for high-end Streetwear and Denim), and Daffy's for Mabitex and maybe some shirts (17th and Chestnut).
There are also a few bespoke shirt makers in town.
If you have a car:
King of Prussia Mall which has some high end stores, but I've never been there. There's also Franklin Mills Mall which has factory stores (BB & RL).

There's also a really classic BB store on the 1500 block of Walnut, and the Ralph Lauren Boutique on Broad at Walnut.

Franklin Mills Mall is generally poor. I'd avoid the RL factory store - it's terrible. The BB store is ok for ties and clearance. Saks off 5th and NM Last Call have occasional great deals on men's accessories.

KoP is ok, they also have a BB and PRL store, as well as Neiman, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, etc.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boyd's has some great stuff and some awful stuff. You'll have to see for yourself.

Hickey Freeman in Rochester is an excellent idea.

If trad is your thing and you have some time, drive over to O'Connell's in Buffalo. It's great.

southbound35

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but didn't want to be slapped with the "Do a forum search, dirtbag!" response.

I'm going to be in Philadelphia later this week (in the NW 'burbs on Wed. and Thu., then in Center City on Fri. and Sat.) and wouldn't mind doing a bit of clothes shopping while I'm there. To be honest, I don't need anything in particular except for maybe some sport shirts for my business casual office job).

The following is what I've gleaned from a cursory "Philadelphia" thread title search:

Boyd's (high-end men's clothing)
Barney's Co-op (high-end S&D)
Daffy's (Mabitex, maybe shirts)
RL and BB on Walnut
L'Uomo
King of Prussia Mall (BB, RL, NM, Bloomies, Nordstrom, etc.)
Franklin Mills Outlet
Wayne Edwards (closed?)

Any comments on any of the above or other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'd be glad to read about any other ideas for non-touristy restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Also, if anyone knows of shows or events specific to this week, that would be great as well.

On edit: For demographic purposes -- 40, single, straight, fairly conservative in dress, but (like most here) fairly style-conscious and relatively hip.

JawnGault

Reaction score
You've pretty much named all of the major shopping destinations. Also you may want to try Distante ( never been but they are a bespoke suit/shirtmaker I believe) and Sherman Brothers (Men's shoes) both stores happened to be next to each other.

As for restaurants, it is actually Philadelphia's Restaurant Week for the next two weeks I believe. This may make it harder to get reservations. Don't worry if you cant snag a reservation, most of the menus have become boring prixe fixe- three course meals.

For atmosphere try Parc or Rouge

Some other great restaurants I enjoyed were Zavino and Barbuzzo.

Steak: Union Trust, Del Friscos, Butcher and Singer

The Brazillian all you can eat Steak Chain Fogo De Chao is actually a great deal for Restaurant Week as they have their full menu.

Goodluck

Pundit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by southbound35
Wayne Edwards (closed?)

Any comments on any of the above or other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Yes, Wayne Edwards is no longer in business.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JawnGault
Goodluck

Thank you and thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted by Pundit

Thanks.

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Sherman Brothers is great on Sansom St. If you go there I endorse La Creperie, just down the street for a bite to eat.

Excellent. Staying at the Sofitel, so that should be quite close.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Distante has some items of interest. They also have some crappy items. Sherman Brothers is there if you want to try on AE and Church shoes. Never great deals, but they have those brands. There is another new-ish shoe store that sells Grensons and other brands. It's also on Chestnut St between 19th and 20th I think. I forgot the name, but they have some nice shoes. The SAs at the RL store are really nice.

Staying at Sofitel, nice... All the stores are nearby. Daffy's is pretty much right next store. They have a whole bunch of Mabis in stock now.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pundit
That's too bad, I used to shop there when I was in school in Philly. The guys there actually first introduced me to Borrelli shirts. -LR

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
Yeah, Distante has some items of interest. They also have some crappy items. Sherman Brothers is there if you want to try on AE and Church shoes. Never great deals, but they have those brands. There is another new-ish shoe store that sells Grensons and other brands. It's also on Chestnut St between 19th and 20th I think. I forgot the name, but they have some nice shoes. The SAs at the RL store are really nice.

Staying at Sofitel, nice... All the stores are nearby. Daffy's is pretty much right next store. They have a whole bunch of Mabis in stock now.

Thanks, musicguy. I stayed at the Sofitel on a previous visit this past summer and loved the location (got a great deal on hotwire for this visit). Didn't have the chance to do any shopping on that trip. Noticed the Daffy's as I was driving in and intended to pop in, but never made it over there; I'll make it a point to do so this time.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Necro bump....

A friend will be visiting in laws in Rochester, NY this week and is looking for quality dress shoes ~$300. Just wondering if anyone know any stores he should check out.

Or is he SOL?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads