or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Mens Stores Rochester and Philadelphia
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mens Stores Rochester and Philadelphia

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Heading to both cities in next couple weeks. Wondered what the best stores for mens clothing would be. Something other then chain stores would be great.
post #2 of 20
In Rochester, Hickey-Freeman has an outlet store in their factory. I think it's on Avenue D about 5 minutes north of downtown. Great deals are available.
post #3 of 20
In Center City (all walkable), there's Boyd's (18th and Chestnut, for the high-end men's clothing, but recently it's been disappointing), Barney's Co-op (Rittenhouse Square for high-end Streetwear and Denim), and Daffy's for Mabitex and maybe some shirts (17th and Chestnut).
There are also a few bespoke shirt makers in town.
If you have a car:
King of Prussia Mall which has some high end stores, but I've never been there. There's also Franklin Mills Mall which has factory stores (BB & RL).
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
In Center City (all walkable), there's Boyd's (18th and Chestnut, for the high-end men's clothing, but recently it's been disappointing), Barney's Co-op (Rittenhouse Square for high-end Streetwear and Denim), and Daffy's for Mabitex and maybe some shirts (17th and Chestnut).
There are also a few bespoke shirt makers in town.
If you have a car:
King of Prussia Mall which has some high end stores, but I've never been there. There's also Franklin Mills Mall which has factory stores (BB & RL).

There's also a really classic BB store on the 1500 block of Walnut, and the Ralph Lauren Boutique on Broad at Walnut.

Franklin Mills Mall is generally poor. I'd avoid the RL factory store - it's terrible. The BB store is ok for ties and clearance. Saks off 5th and NM Last Call have occasional great deals on men's accessories.

KoP is ok, they also have a BB and PRL store, as well as Neiman, Bloomingdale's, Nordstrom, etc.
post #5 of 20
Boyd's has some great stuff and some awful stuff. You'll have to see for yourself.

Hickey Freeman in Rochester is an excellent idea.

If trad is your thing and you have some time, drive over to O'Connell's in Buffalo. It's great.
post #6 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the suggestions.
post #7 of 20
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but didn't want to be slapped with the "Do a forum search, dirtbag!" response.

I'm going to be in Philadelphia later this week (in the NW 'burbs on Wed. and Thu., then in Center City on Fri. and Sat.) and wouldn't mind doing a bit of clothes shopping while I'm there. To be honest, I don't need anything in particular except for maybe some sport shirts for my business casual office job).

The following is what I've gleaned from a cursory "Philadelphia" thread title search:

Boyd's (high-end men's clothing)
Barney's Co-op (high-end S&D)
Daffy's (Mabitex, maybe shirts)
RL and BB on Walnut
L'Uomo
King of Prussia Mall (BB, RL, NM, Bloomies, Nordstrom, etc.)
Franklin Mills Outlet
Wayne Edwards (closed?)

Any comments on any of the above or other suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'd be glad to read about any other ideas for non-touristy restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Also, if anyone knows of shows or events specific to this week, that would be great as well.

On edit: For demographic purposes -- 40, single, straight, fairly conservative in dress, but (like most here) fairly style-conscious and relatively hip.
post #8 of 20
You've pretty much named all of the major shopping destinations. Also you may want to try Distante ( never been but they are a bespoke suit/shirtmaker I believe) and Sherman Brothers (Men's shoes) both stores happened to be next to each other.

As for restaurants, it is actually Philadelphia's Restaurant Week for the next two weeks I believe. This may make it harder to get reservations. Don't worry if you cant snag a reservation, most of the menus have become boring prixe fixe- three course meals.

For atmosphere try Parc or Rouge

Some other great restaurants I enjoyed were Zavino and Barbuzzo.

Steak: Union Trust, Del Friscos, Butcher and Singer

The Brazillian all you can eat Steak Chain Fogo De Chao is actually a great deal for Restaurant Week as they have their full menu.

Goodluck
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound35 View Post
Wayne Edwards (closed?)

Any comments on any of the above or other suggestions would be much appreciated.


Yes, Wayne Edwards is no longer in business.
post #10 of 20
Sherman Brothers is great on Sansom St. If you go there I endorse La Creperie, just down the street for a bite to eat.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&rl...ed=0CCoQnwIwAQ
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawnGault View Post
Goodluck

Thank you and thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundit View Post
Yes, Wayne Edwards is no longer in business.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post
Sherman Brothers is great on Sansom St. If you go there I endorse La Creperie, just down the street for a bite to eat.

Excellent. Staying at the Sofitel, so that should be quite close.
post #12 of 20
Yeah, Distante has some items of interest. They also have some crappy items. Sherman Brothers is there if you want to try on AE and Church shoes. Never great deals, but they have those brands. There is another new-ish shoe store that sells Grensons and other brands. It's also on Chestnut St between 19th and 20th I think. I forgot the name, but they have some nice shoes. The SAs at the RL store are really nice. Staying at Sofitel, nice... All the stores are nearby. Daffy's is pretty much right next store. They have a whole bunch of Mabis in stock now.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundit View Post
Yes, Wayne Edwards is no longer in business.
That's too bad, I used to shop there when I was in school in Philly. The guys there actually first introduced me to Borrelli shirts. -LR
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
Yeah, Distante has some items of interest. They also have some crappy items. Sherman Brothers is there if you want to try on AE and Church shoes. Never great deals, but they have those brands. There is another new-ish shoe store that sells Grensons and other brands. It's also on Chestnut St between 19th and 20th I think. I forgot the name, but they have some nice shoes. The SAs at the RL store are really nice.

Staying at Sofitel, nice... All the stores are nearby. Daffy's is pretty much right next store. They have a whole bunch of Mabis in stock now.

Thanks, musicguy. I stayed at the Sofitel on a previous visit this past summer and loved the location (got a great deal on hotwire for this visit). Didn't have the chance to do any shopping on that trip. Noticed the Daffy's as I was driving in and intended to pop in, but never made it over there; I'll make it a point to do so this time.
post #15 of 20
Necro bump....

A friend will be visiting in laws in Rochester, NY this week and is looking for quality dress shoes ~$300. Just wondering if anyone know any stores he should check out.

Or is he SOL?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Mens Stores Rochester and Philadelphia