or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Please help me identify this RL suit label
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please help me identify this RL suit label

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
During a recent thrift search I came across a suit with a Ralph Lauren label. Specifically, Ralph Lauren was in all white letters - in cursive script - with only R & L capitalized on a solid dark blue background.

Where does this label fit within the hierarchy of Ralph Lauren/Polo suits?
post #2 of 15
Isn't that 'Signature'?
post #3 of 15
My (limited) experience is that the "Signature" line's labels had "RALPH LAUREN" in block print in all caps. See: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=77983&page=2
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercretas View Post
My (limited) experience is that the "Signature" line's labels had "RALPH LAUREN" in block print in all caps. See: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=77983&page=2

This was definitely cursive script written precisely as Ralph Lauren.
post #5 of 15
sounds like the womens line.. any chance it was a womens suit?
post #6 of 15
U should post a pic of the label.
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystillwater View Post
sounds like the womens line.. any chance it was a womens suit?

Huh. I don't know but I don't think so. It was a 6/2 DB with wide lapels. I was in a major hurry, skimming racks before my wife noticed I ducked inside the store. No size tag but it definitely seemed like a man's suit.
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel222 View Post
U should post a pic of the label.

If I had one I certainly would.

It would be a major production to get back to this place so I wanted to definitely ID the label first to determine if the return trip would be warranted.
post #9 of 15
I came across this same thing awhile ago. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=117779
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblasco View Post
I came across this same thing awhile ago.


http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=117779

Yeah, that looks very similar but I am not sure if the white text was raised like it seems to be on the label in your photo or more flat? Is it really raised up on your coat or is that just a trick of the photo?

Ugh, I would be a horrible eyewitness for the prosecution.
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly View Post
If I had one I certainly would.

It would be a major production to get back to this place so I wanted to definitely ID the label first to determine if the return trip would be warranted.

It's gone.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartrolliast View Post
It's gone.

If it is some crappy diffusion, I agree.

If it is PRL/Signature Line quality, I refuse to accept that without visual confirmation.
post #13 of 15
It's the old Signature Line label.
post #14 of 15
It's the original signature line initiated around 1995 and only lasting a couple of years.

It was made by the same maker as Polo at that time, Pietrafesa of Syracuse, NY (WPL 559?), and constructed the same as Polo of fabrics similar to Polo.

It differed in that it was a domestically made line which mimicked Purple Label styling - extended padded shoulders, etc. It may have been slightly more expensive than similar Polo items. A typical suit may have been circa $800 in '96.

The white interior pocket production tag should indicate the date of manufacture in a 6 digit number, such as 960410 for April 10, 1996, somewhere on the bottom line. The 'CUT' number should begin with 'R' and there will be an 'F#' or 'S#' indicating the season (Fall, Spring) and year, in a single digit, for which it was made ('F6') somewhere in the production nomenclature.

The label proffered Chester Barrie RLPL ($1500 up) suit styling at near Polo pricing. There was also a golf line using the label, with such things as black nylon anoraks at $495 in mid '90s dollars.

You be the judge, in retrospect, as to the perspicacity of the confusing strategery.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis View Post
It's the original signature line initiated around 1995 and only lasting a couple of years.

It was made by the same maker as Polo at that time, Pietrafesa of Syracuse, NY (WPL 559?), and constructed the same as Polo of fabrics similar to Polo.

It differed in that it was a domestically made line which mimicked Purple Label styling - extended padded shoulders, etc. It may have been slightly more expensive than similar Polo items. A typical suit may have been circa $800 in '96.

The white interior pocket production tag should indicate the date of manufacture in a 6 digit number, such as 960410 for April 10, 1996, somewhere on the bottom line. The 'CUT' number should begin with 'R' and there will be an 'F#' or 'S#' indicating the season (Fall, Spring) and year, in a single digit, for which it was made ('F6') somewhere in the production nomenclature.

The label proffered Chester Barrie RLPL ($1500 up) suit styling at near Polo pricing. There was also a golf line using the label, with such things as black nylon anoraks at $495 in mid '90s dollars.

You be the judge, in retrospect, as to the perspicacity of the confusing strategery.

Thanks--great info! Does that production tag dating system apply to PRL and RLPL as well? If so, I can't wait to get home and check all the tags in my closet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Please help me identify this RL suit label