or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Stroller Jacket
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Stroller Jacket

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
Can a stroller jacket be made/worn with matching pants, so that it could also be worn as a suit?
post #2 of 31
I guess it's possible. It looks silly to me.

post #3 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
I guess it's possible. It looks silly to me.


I believe that is a morning coat, and not a stroller.
post #4 of 31
Thread Starter 
http://www.hatsharpening.com/j&w/new...os/jeeves2.jpg The gentleman on the right is wearing what I understand to be a stroller.
post #5 of 31
Thread Starter 
And on a side note, my image isn't displaying. Anyone know what I did wrong?
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight View Post
Can a stroller jacket be made/worn with matching pants, so that it could also be worn as a suit?

If you're having it made then I don't see why it couldn't be made with matching trousers, the result would just be a black suit wouldn't it?

Now, why you'd want to do so is another matter entirely...
post #7 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post
If you're having it made then I don't see why it couldn't be made with matching trousers, the result would just be a black suit wouldn't it?

Now, why you'd want to do so is another matter entirely...

The awesome flexibility to go from traditional semi-formal daytime dress to modern cliche hipster with a simple change of pants, of course.
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight View Post
I believe that is a morning coat, and not a stroller.

Ah yes, you're right. Still, the same principle stands. Why do you want a stroller jacket?
post #9 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
Ah yes, you're right. Still, the same principle stands. Why do you want a stroller jacket?

Same reason I want a pair of double monks in burgundy cordovan shell - for the hell of it?
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight View Post
Can a stroller jacket be made/worn with matching pants, so that it could also be worn as a suit?

If you're having it made then I don't see why it couldn't be made with matching trousers, the result would just be a black suit wouldn't it?

Now, why you'd want to do so is another matter entirely...

 

Exactly. If the coat and trousers match, it's just a lounge suit, the only twist being that the coat is one button with "peaked" lapels. Therefore I'd say it's perfectly acceptable, although I wouldn't do it in black. Grey/charcoal would loook good.

 

There's also the morning suit, in which the morning coat and trousers match, typically in grey, as worn by Prince Charles.

post #11 of 31
Yes and then it is merely a black suit. Cue: opprobrium here.
post #12 of 31
So the difference between a Stroller and a Tailcoat is just the swollow tail back on the tailcoat . The rest of the outfit is the same for both the Stroller and the Morning suit- vest, stripe trouser, etc, is that correct ?
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherFol View Post

So the difference between a Stroller and a Tailcoat is just the swollow tail back on the tailcoat . The rest of the outfit is the same for both the Stroller and the Morning suit- vest, stripe trouser, etc, is that correct ?

 

Basically. Stroller and morning coat have different cuts, besides the tail/no tail distinction. The original purpose of the stroller was for comfort in the office. It was meant so that when Stressemann needed to go on official business, he would take off his stroller and put on the morning coat. So in theory, the rest of the outfit should be the same.

post #14 of 31
Thank you for your advice, very helpful to me. Paul Stuart has one as formal wear this season, for $2k, I assume my Blacksolid cashmere jacket would do in a pinch
post #15 of 31

Strollers are practically extinct today. I couldn't think of a single occassion where it is suggested, let alone required. Technically it is the day counterpart to the tuxedo, but in this day people just wear a regular old lounge suit.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Stroller Jacket