• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering new iMac - thoughts?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Thoughts? Thinking about the 27" one... good/bad? Never had a Mac before, and I don't need another laptop so I'm only interested in desktops (hence the iMac). Do like that it has one wire (the power wire) to keep a clean desk space. Last computer was a Dell with a 20" screen that got hit by a bad virus when a family member used it for a bit ...
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the 27" is almost too big. Depends how far you keep your monitor away from your face....pretty massive though.

and the price difference ($500) between the standard (21") and the 27" wasn't really worth it unless you are using it as a "showpiece".

Well, unless you're in the creative design field.

I have the imac at work (I have 2 of the 24" imacs), I like it. Its pretty minimalistic which I like, especially with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

I'd spend the extra money on gadgets...upgrading speakers, time machine backup, etc......

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a, I think, 24" iMac not all that long ago. I started a thread on it, called "Apple sucks" or something like that, because I was going through extreme frustration with it early on.

I'll just say that I give it mixed reviews. There are times when I love the Mac, and times where I really dislike it. They are not nearly as infallible as they claim. Some things work really well, some things do not, and it can be frustrating if you are used to Windows because it's not always as easy a transition as you would think. Also, for some features I just prefer the Windows interface.

They are, however, gorgeous machines and I'd go for the larger screen. The extra real estate is worth it when web browsing, viewing photos, movies, etc.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a 27". It's pretty massive, but the real estate is nice.

Would be ideal if they'd just go ahead and install a BluRay player, but that ain't gonna happen.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
27"! Fab, Mooey.

Get a late production number. The initial screen issues have been resolved, IIRC.

Enjoy.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take the plunge!

CuffEm

Reaction score
the new 27-inch iMacs are having problems with the screen

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CuffEm
the new 27-inch iMacs are having problems with the screen

+1 hold off for a while until these screen problems are resolved.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW I have a friend who has one of the older iMacs that had a major screen disaster. Mac pretended there was no problem and she never had her screen replaced or repaired. In that light, you should really be careful if there are reported issues.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We just bought the 21.5" iMac and it's awesome. Ours is a family computer that sits on shelf above one of the kitchen counters so if I could have fit the 27" there, I would have bought it. If it were for a desk though, the 27" is too big to unless you sit 4' from the screen. Overall I'm really happy with the 21.5" screen, wireless keyboard, mouse...

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a 24" wide-screen and even sitting about 20"-30" from it I sometimes get eye strain.

For the money you could buy a smaller one and a second screen. Makes multitasking much more effective, and you're not just looking at a massive piece of glass all the time.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
smile.gif
I've read about these problems with the yellowing of the screen, but Gizmodo reported as recently as yesterday, I think, that Apple has acknowledged these issued and recently halted production and then restarted it. Should I keep waiting? If so, how long?

deaddog

Reaction score
I got one of the first 27" My first Mac and my first screen bigger than 19" Unfortunately, it was a defective screen (flicker/black). Got a replacement after a 30 day wait. Know that I've used it for a few months, I think its great. Not too big and awesome visuals

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Currently using last gen 24" imac with a second 22" screen. The setup is good for working with word/ppt on the main screen, with internet stuff/ email on the second screen. Covetting the 27" imac also...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads