or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The EG Gladstone (if you haven't seen one yet)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The EG Gladstone (if you haven't seen one yet)

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Here's a nice photo, albeit in edwardian, of the shoe that many of us recently acquired in burgundy...

post #2 of 16
Nice! My very first pair of Edward Green shoes were Gladstones in black, 808 last. They still look like new after over 5 years of wear.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Harris
Nice! My very first pair of Edward Green shoes were Gladstones in black, 808 last. They still look like new after over 5 years of wear.

Thanks for the info Andrew...so this model goes back into their catalog. It's intereting that they have such a large group of them in burgundy hanging about. Perhaps an order for a store that never got delivered?
post #4 of 16
My pair was for RLPL, originally sold in 99 or 2000 I would imagine. I bought them brand new on ebay, with trees in April 01 for $120!! That was back when the RLPL/EG connection was just a suspicion I had, I wasn't able to get anyone to confirm it substantially until the end of 01, at the earliest. Let me see if I can dig up a pic.
post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Harris
My pair was for RLPL, originally sold in 99 or 2000 I would imagine. I bought them brand new on ebay, with trees in April 01 for $120!! That was back when the RLPL/EG connection was just a suspicion I had, I wasn't able to get anyone to confirm it substantially until the end of 01, at the earliest. Let me see if I can dig up a pic.

I'd love to see them. Those were indeed golden days for EBay. No wwe just have to wait for semi-annual Asprey liquidations to get deals like that.
post #6 of 16
Not a very flattering angle, but here we go:

post #7 of 16
Quote:
No wwe just have to wait for semi-annual Asprey liquidations to get deals like that.

Sometimes I really wish I lived in New York. Then I remember, I'm plenty broke as it is
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Harris
Sometimes I really wish I lived in New York. Then I remember, I'm plenty broke as it is


Love it in black! An aboslute classic.

As for NYC, the daily temptations are ridiculous, especially as we now head into the eye of the sale storm in what, by all acoounts, has been a dreadful retail season. Surfs up...kawabunga!
post #9 of 16
Bah. Paris is where it's at. The Freedom to indulge in luxury every day. Plus hot and cold running catmere.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Harris
Not a very flattering angle, but here we go:

great shot!
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Here's a nice photo, albeit in edwardian, of the shoe that many of us recently acquired in burgundy...


Andrew, no rug? What happened?

I just love the finish on the Edwardian Gladstone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aportnoy
As for NYC, the daily temptations are ridiculous, especially as we now head into the eye of the sale storm in what, by all acoounts, has been a dreadful retail season. Surfs up...kawabunga!

I agree, NYC is an embarrassment of riches in every way, high-end shopping, restaurants, museums, operas, ballets, orchestras... It hurts so bad sometimes I wish I could just pack up and move to Wichita or Des Moines to lead a simpler existense.
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Andrew, no rug? What happened?

I just love the finish on the Edwardian Gladstone.



I agree, NYC is an embarrassment of riches in every way, high-end shopping, restaurants, museums, operas, ballets, orchestras... It hurts so bad sometimes I wish I could just pack up and move to Wichita or Des Moines to lead a simpler existense.


No rug VR.... unfortunately these aren't mine. I googled this photo to see what they looked like before I ordered them in burgundy.

I agree on the NYC culture thing VR, it's overwhelming. In the last month or so...ABT, Pajama Game, Sweeney Todd, Faith Healer and Emerson Quartet.
post #13 of 16
I popped into EG today to check out the sale.

Slim pickings in my size (UK 6) - nicest thing was probably a pair of Dovers on the 202 last, but I prefer how it looks on the 606. Tried them on for fit, felt pretty good - will remember for reference.

There were lots of shoes in 5.5 though, in particular the Gladstone in burgundy on the 888 last. So I thought, hmm the 888 is a bit long so maybe I'd be able to squeeze in...? Lo and behold, I did manage to squeeze in - they were quite a snug fit, but I understand this is a good thing as far as EG are concerned.

Anyone else have experience of going down half a size for the 888 last?

In any case, I decided not to get the Gladstones for now (they'd be my first pair of EGs) as I'm a bit poor at the moment, although if prices go down towards the end of the sale and they're still around, I may find it harder to resist...
post #14 of 16
Without meaning to offend any new Gladstone owners, is it anyone's first choice for plain cap toe? I was speculating that the "top pick" for plain cap toe was the Chelsea, and I find myself not too fond of the line that extends to the back?

That said, I love the Edwardian color, but want the photo with the rug please.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by josepidal
I find myself not too fond of the line that extends to the back?

I was >this< close to pulling the trigger on a pair in the sales myself but that design feature just kept nagging away at me. I was about to ring the store about 3 times to purchase it but in the end couldn't get over it. Just something about it doesn't sit quite right for me.

It's a lovely shoe but I just don't like that continuous ring halfway up the shoe. I don't like longwings for the same reason (I think that's the right term for them).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The EG Gladstone (if you haven't seen one yet)