or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread - Page 48

post #706 of 5077
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Have you tried Analog Man's Beano Boost? Awesome.

No, I'll see if I can find one.

Had a really exciting and then disappointing email last night. The guys who are refinishing my 61 jazz master said that the first bit of sanding they did made it seem like the original colour was underneath, but upon further inspection there was only a tiny amount left. Damn, that sucks. Oh well!
post #707 of 5077
Any effects gurus, if you could help me figure out this problem, it would be much appreciated:
I just redid my pedalboard to have about 18 pedal effects. Most are true bypass, a few are buffered, I'm happy with the sound and I'm not noticing too much high end loss or extra hum. But there is one problem I'm having and I have NO idea how to debug it. Basically, when I start playing, everything is fine, but after an hour or so, when I have an overdrive pedal on, I start to get this really weird crackly clipping noise at the end of a played note or chord. I turn off all my pedals and turn them back on, and the same problem happens. If I give them a bit of time, the problem goes away. This only happens when overdrive pedals are on, but it happens with all of them. It doesn't seem to be the amp, because if I then unplug from the effects and plug straight into the amp and crank it, there aren't any problems. It could be something weird going on with my power supply, but I really am not sure and don't know how to tell. Any ideas?
post #708 of 5077
Quote:
Originally Posted by origenesprit View Post

Any effects gurus, if you could help me figure out this problem, it would be much appreciated:
I just redid my pedalboard to have about 18 pedal effects. Most are true bypass, a few are buffered, I'm happy with the sound and I'm not noticing too much high end loss or extra hum. But there is one problem I'm having and I have NO idea how to debug it. Basically, when I start playing, everything is fine, but after an hour or so, when I have an overdrive pedal on, I start to get this really weird crackly clipping noise at the end of a played note or chord. I turn off all my pedals and turn them back on, and the same problem happens. If I give them a bit of time, the problem goes away. This only happens when overdrive pedals are on, but it happens with all of them. It doesn't seem to be the amp, because if I then unplug from the effects and plug straight into the amp and crank it, there aren't any problems. It could be something weird going on with my power supply, but I really am not sure and don't know how to tell. Any ideas?

It could be a voltage issue. If you get one of those furman power conditioners you can monitor the voltage levels. Or it could be that the overdrive is overdriving the circuitry of another pedal that is placed after it causing the clipping. Another thing is that the signal might be dying going through so many effects. I mean 18 pedals is A LOT. It could just be signal decay despite you not being able to hear any difference there most definitely is. Try positioning the pedals in a different order, such as your overdrive pedals at the end of the signal chain.

Also, certain effects work better in the effects loop of the amp (if you have one). It allows your guitar's signal to be purer hitting the front of the amp and the effects only in the signal chain when you need them. Try putting all effects that aren't overdrives in the effects loop, this means your guitar's signal will come out of the pre-amp stage, then through the effects then the power amp.
post #709 of 5077
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

It could be a voltage issue. If you get one of those furman power conditioners you can monitor the voltage levels. Or it could be that the overdrive is overdriving the circuitry of another pedal that is placed after it causing the clipping. Another thing is that the signal might be dying going through so many effects. I mean 18 pedals is A LOT. It could just be signal decay despite you not being able to hear any difference there most definitely is. Try positioning the pedals in a different order, such as your overdrive pedals at the end of the signal chain.
Also, certain effects work better in the effects loop of the amp (if you have one). It allows your guitar's signal to be purer hitting the front of the amp and the effects only in the signal chain when you need them. Try putting all effects that aren't overdrives in the effects loop, this means your guitar's signal will come out of the pre-amp stage, then through the effects then the power amp.

My amp doesn't have an effects loop, so it all has to be in front. Did some trouble shooting - the effects I have after my overdrives are as follows: Boss CE2 Chorus, Behringer UV300, old EHX Small Stone, new EHX pulsar term, MXR Carbon Copy, Boss DD7, Dunlop volume pedal, EHX holy grail nano. I took out the Behringer first - same problem. Then I took the volume, CE2 and Small Stone out - that fixed it. Time to play around with those individually and see what's up.
post #710 of 5077
Quote:
Originally Posted by origenesprit View Post

My amp doesn't have an effects loop, so it all has to be in front. Did some trouble shooting - the effects I have after my overdrives are as follows: Boss CE2 Chorus, Behringer UV300, old EHX Small Stone, new EHX pulsar term, MXR Carbon Copy, Boss DD7, Dunlop volume pedal, EHX holy grail nano. I took out the Behringer first - same problem. Then I took the volume, CE2 and Small Stone out - that fixed it. Time to play around with those individually and see what's up.

Do you really need all of those effects? confused.gif
post #711 of 5077
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Do you really need all of those effects? confused.gif

Don't really need the CE2 or Small Stone, but everything else gets used.
post #712 of 5077
So, apparently it was one of my overdrives fucking up...
post #713 of 5077
Quote:
Originally Posted by origenesprit View Post

So, apparently it was one of my overdrives fucking up...

Good catch.
post #714 of 5077
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Good catch.

Yeah, I feel stupid but it was only particularly noticeable when I lowered the level way down on the pedal, then I could really hear the problem. Sucks - brand new Rothwell Atomic Booster.
post #715 of 5077
I haven't posted my board in a while. Here's how it's going to stay for a while.

472584_10150688876687974_641307973_9264377_1701988787_o.jpg
post #716 of 5077
Here is a picture of my board:
post #717 of 5077
I finally got my first tube amp....a huge step up from the cheapo solid state practice amps:

IMG_4938.jpg

at 10W it's still too loud for my apartment satisfied.gif
post #718 of 5077
Yeah, I used to have a triple rectifier half stack. 150W of pure sex. I moved to NYC and it had to go. My 4 watt amp is too much. But don't forget wattage on a tube amp is really just headroom, and bigger speakers with the same amp will be louder than the same amp with smaller or less speakers. More speakers, or bigger speakers push more air.
post #719 of 5077
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

Yeah, I used to have a triple rectifier half stack. 150W of pure sex

+1. I didn't know what to do with all of that noise.

At the end of the day, my Marshall half stacks really brought the perfect. Especially with an old Fender drool.gif
post #720 of 5077
There are so many amp makers out there today, but honestly the classics have survived for a reason. It seems like every 8 years or so there is a new fad amp. It used to be Fender, then Vox then Mesa, then H&K, then Bogner, now it is Dr. Z and New Vintage...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread