or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread - Page 420

post #6286 of 6537
My favorite Steely Dan solo is from My Old School. I think it's Dias?
post #6287 of 6537
Quote:
Originally Posted by origenesprit View Post

My favorite Steely Dan solo is from My Old School. I think it's Dias?

One of mine too! Jeff Baxter was the guitar soloist. Not sure what he used in the studio but I recall seeing him playing it live with a Tele with a HB in the neck and another time with a beatup old Strat.

Early 1970 was the apex of experimenting with modifying guitars in LA and SF originally for studio musicians where Stars Guitars rebuilt many vintage Fenders destroying their vintage value while trying to add sustain and squeeze out some new sound and tone. At that time the feeling was "the heavier the body, the greater the tone". Quite a change from the late 80's and later where dealers began to post the weight of vintage instruments down to the ounce!

By the way, Dias went on to become a computer programer and Baxter joined the Doobie Brothers and later working for the Defense Department! He played with Hendrix before Jimi hit it big. Brilliant and talented guys.
post #6288 of 6537
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusW View Post

One of mine too! Jeff Baxter was the guitar soloist..


they used some incredible musicians.... larry carlton did some stellar work on aja etc.... some of my absolute favorite guitar work is from steely dan. what a band.
post #6289 of 6537
It's all about that Steve Gadd on Aja
post #6290 of 6537

Denny Dias' solo on "Your Gold Teeth II" is my favourite of the  'Dan guitar solos. Very jazzy but suits the track perfectly. Killer drums too, but then you would expect that from them... 

post #6291 of 6537
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

It's all about that Steve Gadd on Aja

i remember when my dad was working out the guitar work on that song.... i was probably 8? completely blown away at Gadd's solos in that. just incredible.
post #6292 of 6537
Another great one is Do It Again on that danelectro sitar. Such a cool tone - I wish I could justify buying one.
post #6293 of 6537
Quote:
Originally Posted by origenesprit View Post

Another great one is Do It Again on that danelectro sitar. Such a cool tone - I wish I could justify buying one.

man i hadnt even thought about that song in years.
post #6294 of 6537
My son just texted me to let me know he has started learning how to play Sweet Child O' Mine on the guitar. Interesting.
post #6295 of 6537
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

My son just texted me to let me know he has started learning how to play Sweet Child O' Mine on the guitar. Interesting.

better than him telling you he's working out the new luke brian song on his guitar app on his mac.
post #6296 of 6537
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

better than him telling you he's working out the new luke brian song on his guitar app on his mac.

Yup. I figure if he learns it, all the more power to him. I was never a fan of GnR, personally, but I'm okay with him learning a few of their songs.

The funny part is that I think the reason he chose that song is that he just bought an Epiphone Les Paul at Guitar Center (he found a used one for a steal--can't pick it up until the 7th). He knows that Slash always plays a Les Paul so he started listening to a few GnR songs.
post #6297 of 6537
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

Yup. I figure if he learns it, all the more power to him. I was never a fan of GnR, personally, but I'm okay with him learning a few of their songs.

The funny part is that I think the reason he chose that song is that he just bought an Epiphone Les Paul at Guitar Center (he found a used one for a steal--can't pick it up until the 7th). He knows that Slash always plays a Les Paul so he started listening to a few GnR songs.

how old is he?

gotta be honest, the day my daughter brings home a les paul, im gonna be beaming.icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #6298 of 6537
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

how old is he?

gotta be honest, the day my daughter brings home a les paul, im gonna be beaming.icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

He's 13.
post #6299 of 6537
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

Yup. I figure if he learns it, all the more power to him. I was never a fan of GnR, personally, but I'm okay with him learning a few of their songs.

The funny part is that I think the reason he chose that song is that he just bought an Epiphone Les Paul at Guitar Center (he found a used one for a steal--can't pick it up until the 7th). He knows that Slash always plays a Les Paul so he started listening to a few GnR songs.

Love this. Everyone finds inspiration somewhere. As goofy as it sounds, I had no pointed interest in playing a Strat until I heard the John Mayer Trio live album.
post #6300 of 6537
Haven't we all learned the Sweet Child O' Mine riff?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread