or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread - Page 417

post #6241 of 6540

in parallel as stock. makes that fender 'quack' cause the signals are mixed, that's why the volume hardly changes when you switch from neck to middle to bridge.

 

in series voltages add tho. 

post #6242 of 6540
Thread Starter 
Ah, gotcha now.
post #6243 of 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

^ What's the third knob for on the burst? And I see some switches...is that Andy Summers?

Yes sunburst is the Summers. Love that tele.
post #6244 of 6540
Went into the rock shop on the weekend and the salesman was selling $3000 acoustic guitars to a wealthy middle aged beginner.

"You don't want the one with the maple neck. Maple is very treble-y, it will sound too harsh"

etc etc, on an on ad nauseum confusing the poor beginner who's not going to hear the difference anyway. Now I get that for acoustic and classical guitars tone wood is actually a real thing, but the wood on the neck is meant to vibrate as little as possible, and anyway, it's really not going to matter for a beginner.

I asked about those silent guitars because I'm going to be travelling and doing some recording at the same time. "Oh, I wouldn't record with those. The tone is terrible."

ffs. I'll be the bloody judge of the tone. If you knew what you were talking about you'd be a sound engineer not a ****ing salesman.
post #6245 of 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

If you knew what you were talking about you'd be a sound engineer not a ****ing salesman.


HAHAHAHAHA.

trouble is, here in nashville...the salesman probably IS a sound engineer.

the bane of my existence is people who go to school and get a music degree and thinks that makes them experts on sound, tone, etc. No. you have a piece of paper that says you memorized how to do things. you cant teach a good ear.
post #6246 of 6540
Exactly. I don't give a shit how he thinks it sounds. I came in to hear how it actually sounds, not his opinion on it.
post #6247 of 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

Now I get that for acoustic and classical guitars tone wood is actually a real thing, but the wood on the neck is meant to vibrate as little as possible, and anyway, it's really not going to matter for a beginner.

Most beginners would also not be purchasing a $3,000 guitar … hell some would not even spend $300. I agree it sounds like some of it is salesman's bullshit (but he's a salesman so wtf do you expect?), but I've known plenty of beginners who purchased higher-end guitars at the start knowing that they would stick with it and would "grow into" and learn to appreciate a nicer instrument in a year or 2 or 3 ... instead of buying some shitty beginner axe that's harder to learn on anyway because it sucks and then need a new instrument a couple years later anyway. So who knows what his motivation is.

Your post would seem to imply the wood is not mportant for electrics? puzzled.gif Hmmm … I wonder why all those shitty electric rock guitars are always slathered in (black) paint?
post #6248 of 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

Most beginners would also not be purchasing a $3,000 guitar … hell some would not even spend $300. I agree it sounds like some of it is salesman's bullshit (but he's a salesman so wtf do you expect?), but I've known plenty of beginners who purchased higher-end guitars at the start knowing that they would stick with it and would "grow into" and learn to appreciate a nicer instrument in a year or 2 or 3 ... instead of buying some shitty beginner axe that's harder to learn on anyway because it sucks and then need a new instrument a couple years later anyway. So who knows what his motivation is.

Your post would seem to imply the wood is not mportant for electrics? puzzled.gif Hmmm … I wonder why all those shitty electric rock guitars are always slathered in (black) paint?

I don't have a problem with the guy buying an expensive guitar as a beginner. It's not exactly what I'd advise to most people, but it's his money. My problem was with the confusing stuff the saleman was saying. There wasn't even a need to upsell the guy, he was already pretty set on buying a really nice guitar. Just point out the finish, attention to detail, and nice sound etc. All the talk about wood is meaningless in comparison to actually hearing it.

And yeah, wood is not important for the sound of electric guitars.
post #6249 of 6540

i think it's especially important for a beginner to have a visceral response to an instrument - how it sounds, feels, hey how it looks etc. agree it's stupid and unnecessary to "intellectualize" that kind of purchase, to say nothing of actually bullshitting somebody.

 

i wanted to branch out into mandolin and i was prepared to pay for a nice player grade instrument. i was surprised when at a very reputable (renowned, even) music shop they steered me away from even demo-ing any of the vintage bowl backs. "what kind of music are you going to play?" asks the sales guy... my response was well i don't have an instrument so the fucking music doesn't exist yet, does it?

 

for all i know i wanna get into klezmer music or maybe classical or maybe bluegrass or maybe i need a singer's instrument... i just don't get the point of pigeonholing that decision at all. 

post #6250 of 6540
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post

And yeah, wood is not important for the sound of electric guitars.

You often say this like it's gospel, but a hunk of mahogany and a hunk of alder are not going to sound the same.
The AAA flame probably doesn't mean too much tonewise, though.
Edited by origenesprit - 5/8/16 at 6:10am
post #6251 of 6540
Really don't want to get into a debate about it.


Lol at the last bend, and lack of rhythm throughout
post #6252 of 6540
Thread Starter 
Suggestions on a usable but not expensive mic for vocals/ambient sounds? I have a Shure SM57 I use to mic my amp but have found it's not the right style mic for vocals/ambient sounds. I want to be able to use it with my desktop and DAW as well as maybe plug into my iPhone or my Surface for portability.
post #6253 of 6540

have you demo'd any large diaphragm condensers?

 

there are some inexpensive (relatively speaking ) options and if you sniff around you can of course find bargains and they do have usb models as well. 

 

i have a sennheiser mk4 that i like but it's not the cheapest. i also tried an inexpensive shure LDC that i liked. as you might expect they all seem to have their own color.

post #6254 of 6540
Thread Starter 
When I say "vocals" I don't mean singing either but just spoken word or phrases that can go through all the post needed. What I have in mind is to pick up ambient noises like birds/wildlife, sound of rain falling or thunder, that sort of stuff.
post #6255 of 6540

i think you're talking about 2 different mics: i doubt that the gear you need to record birds, rain, etc outdoors is gonna be appropriate for any type of vocals.

 

when you originally posted, i assumed you meant ambient room sounds. i would've looked at an ldc in that case.

 

if you're talking outdoors, then I'm pretty sure that's a different ballgame entirely.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread