or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread - Page 42

post #616 of 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toiletduck View Post

Thanks for the tip!
did a bit of research on the net and it seems that what the PRS SE One Korina's have a:
"full sized Alpha 500k audio pot w/ a ceramic capacitor of a 180 pf "brightness cap".
Enjoying the guitar a lot!

I would say that's good, no need to change. I am just curious why it needs a capacitor if it is only a volume knob. Curious.
post #617 of 4221
Recently had my old, battered AC30 repaired (the bright channel never worked, and now the normal channel decided not to work either) by Flynn Amps in Scotland. I was very impressed with their work, so I decided to try the boost pedal that they make, which is an exact replica of Rory Gallagher's HAWK booster. I haven't had a chance to really run it through its paces, but holy crap, so far I love this pedal. The only problem is that it is so gigantic and the included power supply has a straight instead of a right angle plug so fitting it on my pedalboard is going to be a nightmare. Might have to run it on batteries, but that gets pretty damn expensive.

Anyway, thumbs up for the pedal. I'm not a Rory Gallagher fan per se (I'm sure he's great, just never listened to him), but the pedal stands on its own. Really nice builders, too.
post #618 of 4221
Any tips on the best place to sell a guitar? I've got a Hamer Newport Pro that's just sitting around collecting dust, and I'm trying to avoid getting fleeced at the local Guitar Center...
post #619 of 4221
I was wondering what are some really good 15 watt small tube combos or stacks? Like a NOS tweed blues jr, orange tiny terror etc.
post #620 of 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls6128 View Post

Any tips on the best place to sell a guitar? I've got a Hamer Newport Pro that's just sitting around collecting dust, and I'm trying to avoid getting fleeced at the local Guitar Center...

Do you want another guitar? Try to trade it in at a shop (not guitar center), and you can usually strike a good deal if it is a good shop.

I once tried to trade my Gibson 335 into guitar center and they offered me, after 30 minutes of negotiating, $1300 trade in value. I went to 30th Street guitars next, and without any bartering at all, they offered me $1900 trade in value.

Or, eBay? Craigslist? TheGearPage?
post #621 of 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by origenesprit View Post

Do you want another guitar? Try to trade it in at a shop (not guitar center), and you can usually strike a good deal if it is a good shop.
I once tried to trade my Gibson 335 into guitar center and they offered me, after 30 minutes of negotiating, $1300 trade in value. I went to 30th Street guitars next, and without any bartering at all, they offered me $1900 trade in value.
Or, eBay? Craigslist? TheGearPage?

Not really looking for another guitar, but that might be worth looking into. TheGearPage looks perfect though, thank you. Might try posting it up here too.
post #622 of 4221
Craigs List can be very good. Take good clear pics and give plenty of details.
post #623 of 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post

I was wondering what are some really good 15 watt small tube combos or stacks? Like a NOS tweed blues jr, orange tiny terror etc.

Try a fender champ or Princeton reverb
post #624 of 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by poly800rock View Post

Try a fender champ or Princeton reverb

I would add the Vox mini Nighttrain.
post #625 of 4221
anyone buying themselves cool guitars or amps for Christmas???
post #626 of 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by poly800rock View Post

Try a fender champ or Princeton reverb
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

I would add the Vox mini Nighttrain.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I was also thinking about a Marshall Class5, what do you guys think of the amp?
post #627 of 4221
what kind of straps do you guys like? I've got two relatively cheap sueded leather ones that I like quite a lot, one is a thick wide maple colored thing you'd typically find in any guitar shop, the other is a thinner red suede that I love. both were like 40 or 50 maybe less. I dunno I'm asking because my friend is trying to buy her boyfriend a really nice strap for his brithday and shes' showing me this strap for like 120 that I htink is pretty ugo. I feel like there are probably leather dudes on this forum that would make nice stuff. any input ideas?
post #628 of 4221
personally anything over 120 sounds like a waste on a strap, unless the bf gigs and likes to move like Townshend I don't see any reason to spend more than 50. I'd rather get a pedal if I knew my gf was spending $120
post #629 of 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post

Thanks, I'll check them out.
I was also thinking about a Marshall Class5, what do you guys think of the amp?

Marshall Class 5 is great, if you want to go for that low of wattage also put the Vox AC4TV to the mix. In my opinion I always have issues getting Marshalls to sound anything different than a typical Marshall. It is hard to describe, but I feel they are voiced in a certain way that limits them a bit. I feel like there are other more versatile options, such as a Champ, AC4TV, Nighttrain. It all depends on what you are trying to do with it. I haven't played the Class 5, but it is apparently a lower wattage version of the "Bluesbreaker", which is essentially the Fender Bassman. In that respect it might be a totally different kind of Marshall. Any which way you go with any of these you can't really go wrong.
post #630 of 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace View Post

what kind of straps do you guys like? I've got two relatively cheap sueded leather ones that I like quite a lot, one is a thick wide maple colored thing you'd typically find in any guitar shop, the other is a thinner red suede that I love. both were like 40 or 50 maybe less. I dunno I'm asking because my friend is trying to buy her boyfriend a really nice strap for his brithday and shes' showing me this strap for like 120 that I htink is pretty ugo. I feel like there are probably leather dudes on this forum that would make nice stuff. any input ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post

personally anything over 120 sounds like a waste on a strap, unless the bf gigs and likes to move like Townshend I don't see any reason to spend more than 50. I'd rather get a pedal if I knew my gf was spending $120

I have been wanting to pick up the Vox python strap for a while. The one made famous by The Beatles in the 60's. I'd pay top dollar for an original.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread