or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread - Page 122

post #1816 of 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by origenesprit View Post

Whoa - Fender has reissued the Starcaster finally? How did I not know this?

Not that I'll buy one, but I'd love to try one for fun. I always wanted an old one but they cost too much and didn't play well enough. I don't know why but I've always found 70's Starcasters and Teles to be insanely stiff.

They were very heavy and covered in thick poly. It was during a dark period of large corporate ownership and perspective. All you had to do was pick up any late 60's Fender then a 70's and you would feel the difference. (The same could be said about any Gibson). The Starcaster was Fender's lame attempt at chasing the ES-335 market that was red hot at the time. The model was a total bust. It was hard to find a store anywhere that carried them. They are only good for making an ironic statement today.

If you want to try an unusual semi-hollowbody from the 70's, try a Les Paul Signature model. These are covered in poly but actually sound pretty good. They bombed but probably because the ES-335 cost less and was more popular. The Les Paul SIgnature bass sounds remarkable. It is one of the great basses of that era, IMO.

post #1817 of 4997
Yeah - I've always viewed the starcaster as an attempt to cash in. Not very impressed.

In other news re: hollowbodies, found a '64 Gretsch Country Gentleman at a local shop in pretty good condition. Was surprised (but knew it already, so shouldn't have been) that the F-holes are painted on and not cut out of the body.
post #1818 of 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

Yeah - I've always viewed the starcaster as an attempt to cash in. Not very impressed.

In other news re: hollowbodies, found a '64 Gretsch Country Gentleman at a local shop in pretty good condition. Was surprised (but knew it already, so shouldn't have been) that the F-holes are painted on and not cut out of the body.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the painted f-holes. Give me a '59 6120 any day.
post #1819 of 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

They were very heavy and covered in thick poly. It was during a dark period of large corporate ownership and perspective. All you had to do was pick up any late 60's Fender then a 70's and you would feel the difference. (The same could be said about any Gibson). The Starcaster was Fender's lame attempt at chasing the ES-335 market that was red hot at the time. The model was a total bust. It was hard to find a store anywhere that carried them. They are only good for making an ironic statement today.

If you want to try an unusual semi-hollowbody from the 70's, try a Les Paul Signature model. These are covered in poly but actually sound pretty good. They bombed but probably because the ES-335 cost less and was more popular. The Les Paul SIgnature bass sounds remarkable. It is one of the great basses of that era, IMO.


Always wanted to try one of those but never have. I wouldn't spend $4k on of these, either, though.
post #1820 of 4997
Are they $4k??? That is crazy. Yep, much better ways to spend that kind of dough.
post #1821 of 4997
Thread Starter 
Someone could buy Piob a nice Strat and Marshall amp for 2k and still have 2k left to spend on themselves. Just saying...
post #1822 of 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Someone could buy Piob a nice Strat and Marshall amp for 2k and still have 2k left to spend on themselves. Just saying...



Piob, saw this guy at a local GC-used section. A 2011 MiM, but feels absolutely fantastic. Great neck and fretwork, really sweet tone, set up well. Custom shop stamp on it too (not sure on how MiM strats merit that, or the various models of MiM strats) - but this guy is really a winner.

Proxy?
post #1823 of 4997
Thread Starter 
Thanks very much for the offer! I'm going to pass though for two reasons. I do not like any of the whites and I'm going for US or a good MIJ. But seriously, very nice offer and I appreciate it.
post #1824 of 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Thanks very much for the offer! I'm going to pass though for two reasons. I do not like any of the whites and I'm going for US or a good MIJ. But seriously, very nice offer and I appreciate it.

Reported for racism
post #1825 of 4997
what's the deal with strats that have a humbucker at the bridge?
post #1826 of 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post

what's the deal with strats that have a humbucker at the bridge?

They're just HSS strats. Nothing uncommon...

Am I misunderstanding the question?
post #1827 of 4997
well i've seen them before, but never played one. the bridge pickup on a standard strat is awesome for lead to begin with, what does the buck add to the HSS? Simply more output?
post #1828 of 4997
I bought one of those MIM Strats about 14 years ago for my son. Amazing guitar for the money and I think it is better than most of the 70's US Strats I've ever played. NIce neck, great feel, easy to play, everything you want. The bridge humbucker was a typical heavy metal mod in the 90's for more crunch.

I agree that a standard Strat lead and middle pickup have their own great sound. Why mess with that? Well, guitars are kind of like cars and some guys just want to have fun tweaking them. I can never understand what guys put HB pickups in the lead position of a Tele. I do understand why they put them in the rythmn spot however.
post #1829 of 4997
I heading up to Napa on Wednesday for a little wine tasting at this winery. http://minerwines.com/about/benedetto/

They have a connection with Bob Benedetto the luthier. I got to know Bob when he was first launching his business and wrote a feature on him for Vintage Guitar magazine. We became friends and hung out at a few guitar shows and he did some endorsement instruments for a few musician friends of mine. (One who plays a Benedetto 7 string. A real beautiful sounding and playing guitar).

If you are interested in a jazz box, check out Benedetto guitars if you ever have a chance.
post #1830 of 4997
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy View Post

I bought one of those MIM Strats about 14 years ago for my son. Amazing guitar for the money and I think it is better than most of the 70's US Strats I've ever played. NIce neck, great feel, easy to play, everything you want. The bridge humbucker was a typical heavy metal mod in the 90's for more crunch.

I agree that a standard Strat lead and middle pickup have their own great sound. Why mess with that? Well, guitars are kind of like cars and some guys just want to have fun tweaking them. I can never understand what guys put HB pickups in the lead position of a Tele. I do understand why they put them in the rythmn spot however.

There's a contingent of true-believers on Strat-Talk that swear anyone buying a MiA strat is out of their minds b/c the differences between MiMs and MiAs is minimal in modern production. So many claim to have had MiMs that outplay US-standards, etc. that it's a little bit farcical. I'm not one to totally buy into their reasoning, but having played on the one I pictured above for a good while, I'm definitely more inclined to believing.

Without a doubt, I have picked up MiMs that are complete stinkers. Frets are jagged off the neck, body feels lifeless, no mojo at all. I've also played MiAs that just don't sound right. Something feels off - those errors aren't as easy to pin down as crap MiMs though.

But after playing the white guy above, I have no problem saying that some MiMs definitely "have it." If I hadn't just recently purchased a used MiA, I would've bought that guy in a heartbeat - it felt that good even compared to (what I believe) is a very well-made, playing, set-up US-deluxe.

W/o a doubt MiMs have stepped their game up in the last few years. I won't make the blanket statement that there's no gap between US- and MX-made, but sometimes you find one that could break that barrier.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Official Guitar, Amp, Pedals, and Gear Thread