It seemed to be a reasonable investment compared to the cost of the shoes
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicBerlutitagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicVasstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on 11/23/15 at 1:13pm in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 6:47 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:24 pm in Classic Menswear
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
Last edited: 7/12/15
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five WeddingsLast edited: 7/12/15
- Gus's Guide to Casual Autumn StyleLast edited: 10/14/15
- Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot CompanyLast edited: 8/10/15
- Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket, Petrosolaum, and Jun...Last edited: 6/22/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- H.N. White
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Wurkin Stiffs
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 626post #9376 of 203201/16/12 at 3:07pm
Styleforum Top Pickspost #9377 of 203201/16/12 at 3:11pmQuote:Quote:
darn right! Keep 'em conditioned & polished & they'll last a lifetime... or 3.post #9378 of 203201/16/12 at 3:44pm
I've got a serious problem with these tan aldens i bought 1.5 years ago. i've been trying to darken them (from orange- tan to orange-brown) and frankly they look so bad now that they're unwearable. i've done this experiment several times and it's built up fairly ugly looking polish atop the leather. i took some tape to reveal the true color. apparently the leather itself hasn't really changed color despite my efforts. can anything be done to save these shoes?post #9379 of 203201/16/12 at 3:49pmpost #9380 of 203201/16/12 at 4:30pmpost #9381 of 203201/16/12 at 5:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by dm2703
I've got a serious problem with these tan aldens i bought 1.5 years ago. i've been trying to darken them (from orange- tan to orange-brown) and frankly they look so bad now that they're unwearable. i've done this experiment several times and it's built up fairly ugly looking polish atop the leather. i took some tape to reveal the true color. apparently the leather itself hasn't really changed color despite my efforts. can anything be done to save these shoes?
Wow, I didn't know it was possible to get that much polish onto a shoe. That's going to be a fun job to strip them.
Did you use paste wax or cream polish?
You should move this post over to the shoe care thread. This thread is intended for pretty pictures of new or special shoes.post #9382 of 203201/16/12 at 5:15pmpost #9383 of 203201/16/12 at 5:19pmpost #9384 of 203201/16/12 at 5:21pmpost #9385 of 203201/16/12 at 6:12pmpost #9386 of 203201/16/12 at 6:22pmpost #9387 of 203201/16/12 at 6:42pmpost #9388 of 203201/16/12 at 6:48pmpost #9389 of 203201/16/12 at 6:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by isshinryu101
The support comes from handling and comparing hundreds of pairs of Vintage US shoes (1920's thru 1950's). Also, look at the vintage catalogs and compare the price ranges of various makers.
Edwin Clapp, Crosby Square, City Club, Stetson, and Florsheim (ESPECIALLY in the 30's & 40's) ALL sold Top Tier US made shoes. 100% hand welted, exquisite closed channel soles, the whole works.
Look, this is NOT to take away from Alden as a SOLID maker. The fact is that they didn't even market to the Top US Market at the time. I'd LOVE to throw up some articles of support here, the truth is that there are so few people that really study vintage shoes. The only way to learn about 'e, is to buy them & handle them for yourself.
I DID do a photo comparison of a recent Alden Longwing shell gunboat & a Vintage Florsheim model. I'll post that in the next coupla weeks.
AGAIN, this is not "Alden Bashing". They were just not considered a top US maker until the rest of the top ones went out of business (or outsourced to China & India).
What about vintage Stacy Adams? They were priced as high end shoes.
http://www.sockmansocks.com/vintage_stacy_adams_shoes.htmpost #9390 of 203201/16/12 at 7:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by mr monty
What about vintage Stacy Adams? They were priced as high end shoes.
That's some great stuff! There was so much more freedom of design in that era, more experimentation, than we have going on right now.
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
Styleforum Top Picks
- Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five Weddings
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 1 minute ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 1 minute ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- STREETWEAR & DENIM: WK OF... 1 minute ago
- › Building a wardrobe - need help/ advice 2 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 4 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 5 minutes ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 6 minutes ago
- › Yves Saint Laurent suit in Loro Piana Wool size 48 brand new 7 minutes ago
- › ***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing,... 10 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro Auto by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › The Huckberry x Styleforum Holiday Gift Guide
- › In Passing: Style on the Streets of Toronto
- › Black Friday 2015: The Styleforum Sales List
- › How to Build an Amazing Work Wardrobe for $1200
- › Gifts for the Stylish Man
- › The Best of The Proper Kit in N.Y.C.
- › On the Road: Shop the Styleforum x No Man...
- › On the Road: Styleforum x No Man Walks Alone
- › An Interview with G. Bruce Boyer
- › The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Accessories