It seemed to be a reasonable investment compared to the cost of the shoes
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicBerlutitagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/19/11
- itemJohn Lobb shoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoestagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by Cleav, 2/21/15
- topicVasstagged by SYSTEM, 9/14/11
Related Forum Threads
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on 2/17/17 at 9:05am in Classic Menswear
- The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread Last post on Yesterday at 10:32 am in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 3:10 am in Classic Menswear
- Remaining shoes are $250 each-Shoe thread-Vass, AS and Meermin Last post on 9/25/14 at 4:54am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Primer: Refinishing a pair of Crockett & Jones shoes using...
Last edited: 2/1/16
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 626post #9376 of 208491/16/12 at 3:07pmpost #9377 of 208491/16/12 at 3:11pmQuote:Quote:
darn right! Keep 'em conditioned & polished & they'll last a lifetime... or 3.post #9378 of 208491/16/12 at 3:44pm
I've got a serious problem with these tan aldens i bought 1.5 years ago. i've been trying to darken them (from orange- tan to orange-brown) and frankly they look so bad now that they're unwearable. i've done this experiment several times and it's built up fairly ugly looking polish atop the leather. i took some tape to reveal the true color. apparently the leather itself hasn't really changed color despite my efforts. can anything be done to save these shoes?post #9379 of 208491/16/12 at 3:49pmpost #9380 of 208491/16/12 at 4:30pmpost #9381 of 208491/16/12 at 5:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by dm2703
I've got a serious problem with these tan aldens i bought 1.5 years ago. i've been trying to darken them (from orange- tan to orange-brown) and frankly they look so bad now that they're unwearable. i've done this experiment several times and it's built up fairly ugly looking polish atop the leather. i took some tape to reveal the true color. apparently the leather itself hasn't really changed color despite my efforts. can anything be done to save these shoes?
Wow, I didn't know it was possible to get that much polish onto a shoe. That's going to be a fun job to strip them.
Did you use paste wax or cream polish?
You should move this post over to the shoe care thread. This thread is intended for pretty pictures of new or special shoes.post #9382 of 208491/16/12 at 5:15pmpost #9383 of 208491/16/12 at 5:19pmpost #9384 of 208491/16/12 at 5:21pmpost #9385 of 208491/16/12 at 6:12pmpost #9386 of 208491/16/12 at 6:22pmpost #9387 of 208491/16/12 at 6:42pmpost #9388 of 208491/16/12 at 6:48pmpost #9389 of 208491/16/12 at 6:58pmQuote:Originally Posted by isshinryu101
The support comes from handling and comparing hundreds of pairs of Vintage US shoes (1920's thru 1950's). Also, look at the vintage catalogs and compare the price ranges of various makers.
Edwin Clapp, Crosby Square, City Club, Stetson, and Florsheim (ESPECIALLY in the 30's & 40's) ALL sold Top Tier US made shoes. 100% hand welted, exquisite closed channel soles, the whole works.
Look, this is NOT to take away from Alden as a SOLID maker. The fact is that they didn't even market to the Top US Market at the time. I'd LOVE to throw up some articles of support here, the truth is that there are so few people that really study vintage shoes. The only way to learn about 'e, is to buy them & handle them for yourself.
I DID do a photo comparison of a recent Alden Longwing shell gunboat & a Vintage Florsheim model. I'll post that in the next coupla weeks.
AGAIN, this is not "Alden Bashing". They were just not considered a top US maker until the rest of the top ones went out of business (or outsourced to China & India).
What about vintage Stacy Adams? They were priced as high end shoes.
http://www.sockmansocks.com/vintage_stacy_adams_shoes.htmpost #9390 of 208491/16/12 at 7:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by mr monty
What about vintage Stacy Adams? They were priced as high end shoes.
That's some great stuff! There was so much more freedom of design in that era, more experimentation, than we have going on right now.
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
- › Loosest women in the world 55 seconds ago
- › Filson Bag Thread: With Pictures 1 minute ago
- › The Uniqlo Thread 4 minutes ago
- › REEVES OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 7 minutes ago
- › Cesare Attolini Suede Leather Sport Coat EU54 12 minutes ago
- › Formula 1 - F1 - Current Season Discussion 18 minutes ago
- › MC General Chat 18 minutes ago
- › Tailored results 19 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...