or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 513

post #7681 of 19805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Guido View Post

Good to see some banter.
Over the last year I have made a point of purging all shoes that don't fit or I just don't wear anymore to make room for a set of core basics from EG, JL, GC & StC.
I have a 2 pairs of C&J that I call beaters for foul weather & travel.
I have a few pairs of Alden & Tod's for smart casual.
& now that I have the basics covered in my foot ware, the start for pieces that are to be worn maybe once month or when I feel like it such as the EGTD Oundle.
GW

My thinking as well PG. No point in keeping unworns unless they are certain trophy vintage shoes. Smaller but more beautiful collection.
post #7682 of 19805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Guido View Post

Good to see some banter.
Over the last year I have made a point of purging all shoes that don't fit or I just don't wear anymore to make room for a set of core basics from EG, JL, GC & StC.
I have a 2 pairs of C&J that I call beaters for foul weather & travel.
I have a few pairs of Alden & Tod's for smart casual.
& now that I have the basics covered in my foot ware, the start for pieces that are to be worn maybe once month or when I feel like it such as the EGTD Oundle.
GW

As much I like shoe pron (design, sole treatment, materials, construction etc), discussions about fit should be on top of the list for shoes, bespoke and RTW. Based on my experience, if you have have low volume feet, Vass is not for you. You need average to above average instep to fit well in Vass. Also, if you have wide feet, U last would not fit, so best to admire from afar. F last is by the far the easiest to get right fit-wise. EG lasts tend to fit closer. With some trial and error, very good fit can be had with EG for most people. However, the trial and error process can take a while and some expense as most dealers don't stock EGs in narrow or wide widths, and MTOs take a while. G&Gs fit very close and have lower than average instep. I think their lasts should serve people with low volume feet well though I suspect most buyers are more seduced by its aesthetics, at least at the get-go. Alden are my favourite beaters especially in Modified last. It has good overall support and has a quirky shape which I like. Carmina offer very good lasts in standard fittings. I relate to Rain and Robert lasts but having tried a few other lasts at The Armoury, I'd say that Carmina lasts should fit most average feet quite well. Price/quality ratio and MTO lead times are also very good compared with the other makes I mentioned before.
post #7683 of 19805
9aablt.jpg
color 8 chukkas
argyles otc
post #7684 of 19805
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolecho View Post

As much I like shoe pron (design, sole treatment, materials, construction etc), discussions about fit should be on top of the list for shoes, bespoke and RTW. Based on my experience, if you have have low volume feet, Vass is not for you. You need average to above average instep to fit well in Vass. Also, if you have wide feet, U last would not fit, so best to admire from afar. F last is by the far the easiest to get right fit-wise. EG lasts tend to fit closer. With some trial and error, very good fit can be had with EG for most people. However, the trial and error process can take a while and some expense as most dealers don't stock EGs in narrow or wide widths, and MTOs take a while. G&Gs fit very close and have lower than average instep. I think their lasts should serve people with low volume feet well though I suspect most buyers are more seduced by its aesthetics, at least at the get-go. Alden are my favourite beaters especially in Modified last. It has good overall support and has a quirky shape which I like. Carmina offer very good lasts in standard fittings. I relate to Rain and Robert lasts but having tried a few other lasts at The Armoury, I'd say that Carmina lasts should fit most average feet quite well. Price/quality ratio and MTO lead times are also very good compared with the other makes I mentioned before.

This is a wise post. Many people considering taking the leap into top level shoes should take note of it.
post #7685 of 19805
IMG_4014-1.jpg
IMG_4008-1.jpg
IMG_4006-1.jpg
IMG_4012-1.jpg
post #7686 of 19805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybrowne View Post

...

My god those are kickass. Beautiful shoes. Where did you happen to get them from?
post #7687 of 19805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

My god those are kickass. Beautiful shoes. Where did you happen to get them from?

Thanks! I got them from Tom at Leather Soul.
post #7688 of 19805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

Thanks. I know of PG and have read his blog. Some of it is very good and some of it is . . . well . . one man's opinion of how things should be done. I am not going to attack him and had no intention of doing that. I purchased a pair of EG Dovers in antique Edwardian because I saw them on his blog. That doesn't mean I am going to stop thinking and give up my right to an opinion (one that I believe well founded) just beause the person is an "authority."
Point 2 - Shell - well you covered it. I think some of these guys would buy their GF/W's shell thongs if they could . . and I am not sure which would actually get them off.
Point 3 - EG - Great maker of shoes and the Oundle is a nice shoe. My opinion, they should have refused the order, but you can't fault them for making a pound.
Point 4 - My dealings with Tom have been first rate and I believe the man is a class act and runs a great store. No one should take my criticisms of the shoes as a criticism of Tom or LS.
To me the shoes are the equivalent of a woman with C boobs going and getting a boob job to have DD. The Oundle is great shoe and there are creative things which you can do to make it unique. Making it out of shell is just not an improvement.
Oh, and I love the pun about the sacred horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

I will have to run against the grain of comments on these. I don't understand why anyone would purchase this shoe. Shell is not at all an elegant material. These are not rugged or foul weather shoes. Why pair shell with this design and why use this sole? I think there is tremendous group think going on when these are viewed as works of art and not, as I see them, a set of ugly glasses with funny nozes and a mustache. I don't mean to spoil the party but people really need to stop looking and the words shell cordovan and saying "amen."

didn't notice they're shell. a minus IMO. as is the metal toe-tap

As for St C's- loving the finishes but can't handle the lasts. Haven't seen one with balanced proportions
post #7689 of 19805
Received these yesterday

My first JL
338

My first Vass
374
post #7690 of 19805
^ congrats! Vass look awesome.
post #7691 of 19805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

I will have to run against the grain of comments on these. I don't understand why anyone would purchase this shoe. Shell is not at all an elegant material. These are not rugged or foul weather shoes. Why pair shell with this design and why use this sole? I think there is tremendous group think going on when these are viewed as works of art and not, as I see them, a set of ugly glasses with funny nozes and a mustache. I don't mean to spoil the party but people really need to stop looking and the words shell cordovan and saying "amen."

i can hear you walking...
post #7692 of 19805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post

didn't notice they're shell. a minus IMO. as is the metal toe-tap

As for St C's- loving the finishes but can't handle the lasts. Haven't seen one with balanced proportions

is a minus?
post #7693 of 19805
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post

Received these yesterday
My first JL
338
My first Vass
374

Vass suede looks good, is it on P2 last? How is the fit?
post #7694 of 19805
F last, I wear 9.5UK, ordered 43.5, they fit fine, but generally I am an easy fit. My feet and body are a pretty standard 99%
post #7695 of 19805
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post

Received these yesterday
My first JL
338
My first Vass
374

Awesome! Love them both, but the JL really stands out to me with the very subtle pingrain. Wear them well!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II