or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 512

post #7666 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzl View Post

it is r e e e e d. so pink is just a joke...

pink ain't no joke, buddy.boxing[1].gif
post #7667 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Guido View Post

Got the call from Tom @ LeatherSoul
My EGTD "Oundle" in cognac shell on 888 last ordered & delivered in 4 months, sheesh that's quicker than one can say G&G with no FUK UPS biggrin.gif
tdgw2.jpg

I will have to run against the grain of comments on these. I don't understand why anyone would purchase this shoe. Shell is not at all an elegant material. These are not rugged or foul weather shoes. Why pair shell with this design and why use this sole? I think there is tremendous group think going on when these are viewed as works of art and not, as I see them, a set of ugly glasses with funny nozes and a mustache. I don't mean to spoil the party but people really need to stop looking and the words shell cordovan and saying "amen."
post #7668 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

I will have to run against the grain of comments on these. I don't understand why anyone would purchase this shoe. Shell is not at all an elegant material. These are not rugged or foul weather shoes. Why pair shell with this design and why use this sole? I think there is tremendous group think going on when these are viewed as works of art and not, as I see them, a set of ugly glasses with funny nozes and a mustache. I don't mean to spoil the party but people really need to stop looking and the words shell cordovan and saying "amen."

Burton,

You raise a concern that I share. I think in their virgin state these shoes are just stunning. The color of the shell is beautiful and the variation of the grain is teh sechs! I like the play of elegant shape against the slightly more casual effect of the shell.

But I can't help but wonder how they will look once the rolls start to develop. Without seams, toe caps, etc. etc. won't they just turn into a blob of sorts? I can't say that I actually know, but I just wonder.

But man! Those pics are gorgeous! So much so that I tempted to DTO this when I'm in London next week. I'd appreciate the input of one and all before I pull the trigger!
post #7669 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

I will have to run against the grain of comments on these. I don't understand why anyone would purchase this shoe. Shell is not at all an elegant material. These are not rugged or foul weather shoes. Why pair shell with this design and why use this sole? I think there is tremendous group think going on when these are viewed as works of art and not, as I see them, a set of ugly glasses with funny nozes and a mustache. I don't mean to spoil the party but people really need to stop looking and the words shell cordovan and saying "amen."

err,maybe after having 20-30 pairs which cover the basics, you can get anything you want? Maybe it is not to your taste but to someone else likes it? If the fit is good, shell won't make much crease so the shoes will look just as good.
post #7670 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by forex View Post

err,maybe after having 20-30 pairs which cover the basics, you can get anything you want? Maybe it is not to your taste but to someone else likes it? If the fit is good, shell won't make much crease so the shoes will look just as good.

My points may be put forward rather strongly, and I am not trying to change the nature of the discussion to one that is less than civil, but I don't understand the pairing. To me this is like Miller Lite and Arancini di Riso.
post #7671 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon View Post

.........
RL Lindrick, Canali, Carmina Suede Wholecuts, Church’s Loafer, Bally Scribe, Corthay Arca.

Those scribes....icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I keep missing out on the Scribe deals - missed the one on Yoox recently.ffffuuuu.gif
post #7672 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton View Post

My points may be put forward rather strongly, and I am not trying to change the nature of the discussion to one that is less than civil, but I don't understand the pairing. To me this is like Miller Lite and Arancini di Riso.

Burton - you've inadvertently, perhaps, hit up against three sacred horses here and should expect commentary by some of their aficionados.

Firstly, you should understand that the poster, PG, has a large fan base - deservedly so, as he is almost always turned out to a T and has documented his fashion evolution here, gaining many followers and fans. He cuts a fine figure and has garnered supporters, fans, and leige men.

Another factor is that there exists a large group of shell cordovan disciples who apparently love nearly anything in shell. Some go on about style, but it's really about the shell. You'll see adulation over the most god-awful looking things done up in shell here. Often, otherwise sober individuals, will leap on the bandwagon when some shell thing or another is flogged - esp. when it's on sale. (I've been associated with that group, myself.)

Lastly, but by no means least, EGs and esp. Oundles, are much loved by some and they seem to hate criticism of the object of their desires.

(Maybe a fourth is Tom and Leather Soul - also beloved by many.)

Also, there's nothing wrong with stating your opinions (quite civily, too) - nice to hear a dissident voice every now and then.
post #7673 of 19368
I think *most* of even the most hardcore shellheads agree that calfskin is sometimes better for a given style.
post #7674 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post

Burton - you've inadvertently, perhaps, hit up against three sacred horses here and should expect commentary by some of their aficionados.
Firstly, you should understand that the poster, PG, has a large fan base - deservedly so, as he is almost always turned out to a T and has documented his fashion evolution here, gaining many followers and fans. He cuts a fine figure and has garnered supporters, fans, and leige men.
Another factor is that there exists a large group of shell cordovan disciples who apparently love nearly anything in shell. Some go on about style, but it's really about the shell. You'll see adulation over the most god-awful looking things done up in shell here. Often, otherwise sober individuals, will leap on the bandwagon when some shell thing or another is flogged - esp. when it's on sale. (I've been associated with that group, myself.)
Lastly, but by no means least, EGs and esp. Oundles, are much loved by some and they seem to hate criticism of the object of their desires.
(Maybe a fourth is Tom and Leather Soul - also beloved by many.)
Also, there's nothing wrong with stating your opinions (quite civily, too) - nice to hear a dissident voice every now and then.

Thanks. I know of PG and have read his blog. Some of it is very good and some of it is . . . well . . one man's opinion of how things should be done. I am not going to attack him and had no intention of doing that. I purchased a pair of EG Dovers in antique Edwardian because I saw them on his blog. That doesn't mean I am going to stop thinking and give up my right to an opinion (one that I believe well founded) just beause the person is an "authority."

Point 2 - Shell - well you covered it. I think some of these guys would buy their GF/W's shell thongs if they could . . and I am not sure which would actually get them off.

Point 3 - EG - Great maker of shoes and the Oundle is a nice shoe. My opinion, they should have refused the order, but you can't fault them for making a pound.

Point 4 - My dealings with Tom have been first rate and I believe the man is a class act and runs a great store. No one should take my criticisms of the shoes as a criticism of Tom or LS.

To me the shoes are the equivalent of a woman with C boobs going and getting a boob job to have DD. The Oundle is great shoe and there are creative things which you can do to make it unique. Making it out of shell is just not an improvement.

Oh, and I love the pun about the sacred horses.
post #7675 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by theyare View Post

Anyone help me out on what exactly / how old these Lobbs are?

John Lobb Paris, subs

They sure seem like they are the 7000 last in its current form, but not marked as such - marked as 9367?

Marked as Darby but clearly not the Darby that's in production right now.

IMG_4424.jpg
IMG_4423.jpg
IMG_4425.jpg
IMG_4427.jpg

These look like JL Warwick to me. There are some confusing issues. The "S" could describe these as "Sample". John Lobb would nearly always mark subs or rejects with "R" not "S". However, in the sales in stores they sometimes mark "S" and if the style is suspended it is "S". The hand writing inside is unusual and missing some of the usual descriptions. They usually write the factory production number too which is either missing or these are very old shoes and the 9367 is the production number and not the last number. I have had alot of experience with John Lobb over the past 12 years and have never seen this last number before. Plus the writing is usually much neater than this. Some models are made in Paris and given different names to the Northampton shoes but the stamp on the soles looks like the Northampton factory stamp where the Parisian stamp is at a 90% angle to this one. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe someone could add to this.
Reply
Reply
post #7676 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullswin View Post

Those Canali shoes are breathtaking -- it's not often you see a medallion so subtle.

+1
post #7677 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcam8 View Post

Burton - you've inadvertently, perhaps, hit up against three sacred horses here and should expect commentary by some of their aficionados.
Firstly, you should understand that the poster, PG, has a large fan base - deservedly so, as he is almost always turned out to a T and has documented his fashion evolution here, gaining many followers and fans. He cuts a fine figure and has garnered supporters, fans, and leige men.
Another factor is that there exists a large group of shell cordovan disciples who apparently love nearly anything in shell. Some go on about style, but it's really about the shell. You'll see adulation over the most god-awful looking things done up in shell here. Often, otherwise sober individuals, will leap on the bandwagon when some shell thing or another is flogged - esp. when it's on sale. (I've been associated with that group, myself.)
Lastly, but by no means least, EGs and esp. Oundles, are much loved by some and they seem to hate criticism of the object of their desires.
(Maybe a fourth is Tom and Leather Soul - also beloved by many.)
Also, there's nothing wrong with stating your opinions (quite civily, too) - nice to hear a dissident voice every now and then.

Huh? Some weird reasoning's going on right here.
post #7678 of 19368
Good to see some banter.

Over the last year I have made a point of purging all shoes that don't fit or I just don't wear anymore to make room for a set of core basics from EG, JL, GC & StC.

I have a 2 pairs of C&J that I call beaters for foul weather & travel.

I have a few pairs of Alden & Tod's for smart casual.

& now that I have the basics covered in my foot ware, the start for pieces that are to be worn maybe once month or when I feel like it such as the EGTD Oundle.

GW
Edited by Phat Guido - 11/12/11 at 3:41pm
post #7679 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Guido View Post

Good to see some banter.
Over the last year I have made a point of purging all shoes that don't fit or I just don't wear anymore to make room for a set of core basics from EG, JL & StC.
I have a 2 pairs of C&J that I call beaters for foul weather & travel.
I have a few pairs of Alden for casual.
& now that I have the basics covered in my foot ware, the start for pieces that are to be worn maybe once month or when I feel like it such as the EGTD Oundle.
GW

Curious to hear your thoughts on St. Crispin's and how they stand up to EG and JL. For the price I would expect them to be the same level quality or higher.
post #7680 of 19368
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh812 View Post

Curious to hear your thoughts on St. Crispin's and how they stand up to EG and JL. For the price I would expect them to be the same level quality or higher.
- IMO if JLP, EG & Vass where to have a love child, StC would be the outcome.
- StC though in my early experience are a few notches above EG/JL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II