or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1318

post #19756 of 20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post

THIS is the point!!! Of course so many of the steps in shoemaking have been mechanized in order to turn out more shoes, faster & cheaper. You really can't compare the "mechanized version" of a shoemaking process to the same process being performed truly by hand.

Sorry, WADR, I have to "niggle" here a bit...

You can compare the mechanized version with the hand version.

In some respects you have to, to really understand the shortcomings of the mechanized processes. Simply because when you put aside the social and cultural impact of replacing skilled workers with machines, the machines are just another kind of tool.

If the objective results of a machine process are as good or better than the results of doing it with simpler tools then, "no harm, no foul."

But you have to be objective...seriously, determinedly, objective.
post #19757 of 20748
boot question:

not sure if you've heard of the Stafford Deacon wingtip boots over at JCP that were well received as a budget dress boot option.

anyhow, i picked up two sizes as their sizing is wonky to say the least. the 10.5 D feels big...as when worn with dress socks my foot moves around quite a bit. the 10 D is SNUG to the point that is constricts the width of my foot and is somewhat painful.

now here is the question: do i stick with the tight ones and hope they stretch out OR do i go with the larger ones and use thicker socks/inserts.

if the larger one is the better choice, can you point me in the direction of some decent inserts?

thanks.
post #19758 of 20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

Those are very well preserved Cleav!
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

Great. What are they?

Mine are more like 29 days old, but were baptized today

Jeans soaked, socks dry. smile.gif

Thanks gentlemen

They are proper old Grensons nod[1].gif
post #19759 of 20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

Herring Langdale (made by Cheaney).

They look brown, I thought they only come in mahogany kind of reddish
post #19760 of 20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer View Post

They look brown, I thought they only come in mahogany kind of reddish

They're very wet. Look at these, for reference. Slightly different model, but same colour:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


fkCRlDR.jpg



JHeFcC9.jpg



GhhimN1.jpg



7ztqVhp.jpg



uVZ8m8k.jpg



6WHoAEP.jpg



ALvYsK9.jpg



o80ZLiG.jpg



aMIKkDF.jpg



NvwttiA.jpg
post #19761 of 20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

They're very wet. Look at these, for reference. Slightly different model, but same colour:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


fkCRlDR.jpg



JHeFcC9.jpg



GhhimN1.jpg



7ztqVhp.jpg



uVZ8m8k.jpg



6WHoAEP.jpg



ALvYsK9.jpg



o80ZLiG.jpg



aMIKkDF.jpg



NvwttiA.jpg

Ok I see now, I have that model fs029
post #19762 of 20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWFII View Post

Sorry, WADR, I have to "niggle" here a bit...

You can compare the mechanized version with the hand version.

In some respects you have to, to really understand the shortcomings of the mechanized processes. Simply because when you put aside the social and cultural impact of replacing skilled workers with machines, the machines are just another kind of tool.

If the objective results of a machine process are as good or better than the results of doing it with simpler tools then, "no harm, no foul."

But you have to be objective...seriously, determinedly, objective.

Something about an artisan working with a set of skills, performing a task by hand and creating a beautiful item that appeals to me.
post #19763 of 20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBD View Post

Herring Langdale (made by Cheaney).

Heard some good things about their boots. Look rugged and rough... just as they should be.
post #19764 of 20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post

Something about an artisan working with a set of skills, performing a task by hand and creating a beautiful item that appeals to me.


Me too...

cheers.gif
post #19765 of 20748

It could be argued that DW is just a cussed, reactionary old dinosaur, and bluntly resistant to modernisation and efficiency as a reasonable end in itself.

 

It could also be argued that this is his value to mankind. :teach:

post #19766 of 20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

It could be argued that DW is just a cussed, reactionary old dinosaur, and bluntly resistant to modernisation and efficiency as a reasonable end in itself.

It could also be argued that this is his value to mankind. teacha.gif
Plus plenty!
post #19767 of 20748
Isshi, you have just about the most interesting shüüs online from year to year. When can we see your favourite top 10 vintage pairs all in one pornographic money shot?
post #19768 of 20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post

Heard some good things about their boots. Look rugged and rough... just as they should be.

I agree. Yet somehow they have some elegance to them as well. Or maybe not elegance, but friendliness. I'm not sure you'll know what I mean, but they're nice rather than mean looking. Sorry for getting carried away by my own boots. smile.gif
post #19769 of 20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post

Isshi, you have just about the most interesting shüüs online from year to year. When can we see your favourite top 10 vintage pairs all in one pornographic money shot?


Plus plenty!!!!

post #19770 of 20748
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

It could be argued that DW is just a cussed, reactionary old dinosaur, and bluntly resistant to modernisation and efficiency as a reasonable end in itself.

Finally! Someone who understands...biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II