or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1230

post #18436 of 19788
^ Fantastic shoes (and prices). I'm in awe at both drool.gif
post #18437 of 19788

Thanks for the "kopguide" - very useful. :)

post #18438 of 19788
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWraith View Post

^ Fantastic shoes (and prices). I'm in awe at both drool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Thanks for the "kopguide" - very useful. smile.gif

Thank you guys!
post #18439 of 19788
Quote:
Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson View Post
 

Cross post from the Bestetti thread: This Saturday Riccardo Bestetti held a trunk show at the store Spiga 3 in Gothenburg, Sweden. This event was more focused on taking orders and measurements for the Novecento-line (semi-bespoke), rather than showcasing a bunch of shoes and let people try on sizes. Spiga 3 will initially sell three pairs of RTW-models (one will be Maverick on the classic round last in dark brown, hand welted. Two others not completely settled yet) which also will be offered in their online store (then in an English version of the webshop) when they arrive in two-three months time. Price will be the same as when bought directly from Bestetti, and for customers outside EU the Swedish VAT of 25% will be deducted which means that RTW-blake will be aroun$620/€450, and RTW-hand welted will cost about $995/€720. Pretty damn good, in other words. They will also eventually offer MTO and Novecento through their online store.

 

You can read more about the trunk show, an interview with Riccardo and see more pics on my blog here (can be translated on the page). Riccardo is such a nice guy, and a pleasure to deal with. Ordered my second pair of Novecentos now, will be something that he never done before, but will most certainly come out really nice.

 

Here's some pics from the event:

 

 

 

MORE PICTURES HERE! (Click to show)

Both pairs below were Riccardos own:

 

 

 

A RTW-model:

 

 

Rest is Novecento:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

Post very nice ... especially the lines and forms of Bestetti are unmistakable. Even though in reality his shoes are really much nicer than the pictures. The objective of a camera often does not live up to convey that uniqueness and exclusivity that his shoes can give when you see it with your eyes. Then his finishes are unique. I can not wait to show my form and my shoe proof of my first bespoke her.

post #18440 of 19788
I recently (re)discovered a pair of suede Venetian moccasins in the back of my closet. They would make for a perfect summer shoe, except for the fact that they are (what is best described as) pumpkin in color. Looking at them I'm kinda surprised I bought them at all, but I have to assume it was during my "buy anything on sale" phase... such is life.

So, does anyone have any experience darkening suede? I don't want them to be dark, dark brown, but I'd like to dampen the "brightness" a bit. Any suggestions?
post #18441 of 19788
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbonbasted View Post

I recently (re)discovered a pair of suede Venetian moccasins in the back of my closet. They would make for a perfect summer shoe, except for the fact that they are (what is best described as) pumpkin in color. Looking at them I'm kinda surprised I bought them at all, but I have to assume it was during my "buy anything on sale" phase... such is life.

So, does anyone have any experience darkening suede? I don't want them to be dark, dark brown, but I'd like to dampen the "brightness" a bit. Any suggestions?

 

Fittingly, you should check with @P. Bateman . He recently did it on some HY DMs with success.  

 

http://www.styleforum.net/t/153184/suede-shoes-post-em-here/1770_30

post #18442 of 19788
^Thanks for that. I'll reach out to him.

I clicked-through to the suede dye and am not sure which color would be best. In an ideal world I'd like to get them a shade (maybe two) darker, without going crazy. Don't know if that's even possible but perhaps I'll go Light Brown and see what happens.
post #18443 of 19788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianni Cerutti View Post

Post very nice ... especially the lines and forms of Bestetti are unmistakable. Even though in reality his shoes are really much nicer than the pictures. The objective of a camera often does not live up to convey that uniqueness and exclusivity that his shoes can give when you see it with your eyes. Then his finishes are unique. I can not wait to show my form and my shoe proof of my first bespoke her.

Agree with all that, my friend! Looking forward to seeing your final bespoke pair too.
post #18444 of 19788
Quote:
Originally Posted by j ingevaldsson View Post
 

 

No, I ordered my first pair via mail. Measured my feet myself. Didn't go too well since the test shoes didn't fit super, but he just looked at the pics of me wearing the test shoes and nailed the fit after that on the final shoes. For the new pair I ordered now we only changed two minor things on the right foot, besides that they are perfect.

You can order both Novecento, MTO or RTW directly from him as well (RTW only made upon order, no stock). I'm not sure about if he deducts VAT though, but hopefully. He is a pleasure to deal with, but it's a bit trickier with payment and you have much longer delivery times when you order as a private person. The store orders are prioritized, so when ordering MTO or Novecento through Spiga that will go faster, and you will be able to pay easily with credit card.

 

You can read my buyer's guide to Bestetti here.

 

Bestetti makes some truly beautiful shoes.  I also love your blog. 

 

I'd just point out one thing regarding your article, which needs to be clarified I think.  There are some manufacturers who call their hand-welted shoes "hand-sewn Goodyear" or something to that nature.  That really is an oxymoron, and generally reflects use of the word "Goodyear" either from an attempt to sell more shoes because Goodyear-welted shoes are considered the "gold standard" nowadays, or because they don't know that they are contradicting themselves.  Since the reality is that hand-welted shoes are actually superior to Goodyear-welted shoes, it is unfortunate that some resort to using the title "Goodyear" in order to sell their products.  I understand why they do it, from a certain point of view (I don't agree with it), but it is actually muddying the waters of shoe terminology and knowledge, and actually causes more harm to the craft.  If the terminology is juxtaposed from ignorance, however, then it still needs to be clarified simply to preserve knowledge and set the record straight, IMHO.  Goodyear-welted shoes can't be hand-welted, and hand-welted shoes can't be Goodyear-welted. 

post #18445 of 19788

Hi everyone, I have a pair of vintage Florsheim Shell cordovan LWB. I am looking to re-welt and resole them for an anitque edge. Any suggestion where i could get it done in the state? Thank for any advice!

post #18446 of 19788
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post
 

 

I'd just point out one thing

 

Quite right.  Meermin do this, using "Goodyear" as a synonym for "welted", whether hand or mechanical.

post #18447 of 19788
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post
 

 

Bestetti makes some truly beautiful shoes.  I also love your blog. 

 

I'd just point out one thing regarding your article, which needs to be clarified I think.  There are some manufacturers who call their hand-welted shoes "hand-sewn Goodyear" or something to that nature.  That really is an oxymoron, and generally reflects use of the word "Goodyear" either from an attempt to sell more shoes because Goodyear-welted shoes are considered the "gold standard" nowadays, or because they don't know that they are contradicting themselves.  Since the reality is that hand-welted shoes are actually superior to Goodyear-welted shoes, it is unfortunate that some resort to using the title "Goodyear" in order to sell their products.  I understand why they do it, from a certain point of view (I don't agree with it), but it is actually muddying the waters of shoe terminology and knowledge, and actually causes more harm to the craft.  If the terminology is juxtaposed from ignorance, however, then it still needs to be clarified simply to preserve knowledge and set the record straight, IMHO.  Goodyear-welted shoes can't be hand-welted, and hand-welted shoes can't be Goodyear-welted. 

 

Thanks for your comment about the blog!

 

Yes you are absolutely right, and in the article I therefore comment it, but might have got lost a bit in the translation, here's the sentence in English when translated using the blog tool: "RTW Goodyear, price € 900 (launched shortly). Hand-made shoes Rand (Italians insist on calling even hand stitched stripe Goodyear) in a variety of models, molds and colors."

 

We also discussed it in the Bestetti thread a while back: http://www.styleforum.net/t/251332/riccardo-bestetti-bespoke-projects/630#post_6761717

This explanation for why the italians, and some other, use Goodyyear also for hand welted was posted:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexSF View Post

@j ingevaldsson Fantastic Shoes, congrats

Talking of the misleading Goodyear term use, the real reason is that here in Italy the correct transaltion for handwelted term is "guardolo (welt) cucito a mano (handsewn)" , it's long to pronounce and very difficult to understand for common customers being the word guardolo a technic word, unknow to most.

"Goodyear cucito a mano" or "Goodyear a mano" it's the more common way to explain this construction to that large part of customers that come to artisanal shoes from good factory made shoes and with a basic knowledge.
 

But actually now Bestetti has stopped using the Goodyear word for his hand welted shoes, and just call them hand welted, after reading our discussion I linked to above (Yes, most makers, even the pretty big one's, follow their respective threads here on SF, everyone from the peeps at G&G to Vass). So I will probably change it in the guide as well.

post #18448 of 19788
post #18449 of 19788
right there ^ icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #18450 of 19788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crat View Post

These look like C&J Westbourne, except the patina... What are these?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II