or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1203

post #18031 of 19222
Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post

Silvan Lattanzi Bentivegna stitched Crocodile Norwegians.

 

Unbelievable!  They actually made me exclaim out loud in delight.  Just fabulous...10E-10.5D? Actually, just don't tell me...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.henrik View Post

 Any advice on what to do to remove further?

 

It depends how much you value the "burnishing" on the toe.  The obvious thing to do would be to strip off all the polish and start again.  But you will lose some of that gradation on the toe.  

post #18032 of 19222
Saint Crispin's 522B Punched Cap Toe on CRU 609 in action

post #18033 of 19222

Nice, Wurger.  They look like a pretty tidy fit too.  

post #18034 of 19222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by isshinryu101 View Post

Silvan Lattanzi Bentivegna stitched Crocodile Norwegians.

 

Unbelievable!  They actually made me exclaim out loud in delight.  Just fabulous...10E-10.5D? Actually, just don't tell me...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.henrik View Post

 Any advice on what to do to remove further?

 

It depends how much you value the "burnishing" on the toe.  The obvious thing to do would be to strip off all the polish and start again.  But you will lose some of that gradation on the toe.  


I hear you. What product would you use? Renomat is not strong enough but I want to stay away from bleach. I have never tried lexol, seems to be like renomat, but slightly stronger. I figure I can always rebuild the burnishing with cream and polish.

Thanks
post #18035 of 19222

The only time I've ever done it, I used diluted acetone (normal nail polish remover that your wife has - or you have if you're a cross-dresser/goth-emo/Marilyn Manson).  About one part of that to three of water, normal cotton rag, wipe rather than rub, and all the polish just comes right off.  But be gentle.

 

And I did it on way cheaper shoes than yours. :)

post #18036 of 19222
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Saint Crispin's 522B Punched Cap Toe on CRU 609 in action


Very very nice model
post #18037 of 19222
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

Saint Crispin's 522B Punched Cap Toe on CRU 609 in action


Looks like this is very similar to the VASS F last OEII from the pictures. Seems to have a finer waist and more close welt stitching. Any thoughts guys?
post #18038 of 19222
Japanese shell

1061.jpg
post #18039 of 19222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

The only time I've ever done it, I used diluted acetone (normal nail polish remover that your wife has - or you have if you're a cross-dresser/goth-emo/Marilyn Manson).  About one part of that to three of water, normal cotton rag, wipe rather than rub, and all the polish just comes right off.  But be gentle.

And I did it on way cheaper shoes than yours. smile.gif

Works well on polish (and didn't dilute) not so well on egg stains smile.gif. Already tried. Thanks anyhow. Will probably add layers of darker polish on top and see how it turns out.
post #18040 of 19222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire View Post

Japanese shell

1061.jpg

Have you handled these? I heard rumors that Japanese shell is more supple than Horween. Dunno if it's true.....
post #18041 of 19222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire View Post

Japanese shell

1061.jpg

Ooh, some look very nice and others look as if they barely touched a last. Would not believe it was more supple.
post #18042 of 19222
Loafers are a tough fit for me. I don't currently own a pair. I have a high instep, and the complete absence of ANY ability to adjust fit in that area via lacing or strap closure means that if they are too tight in that area, the shoe simply won't work at all, even if the fit everywhere else is just fine. I'd pretty much never order a pair on-line, because the odds of fit failure are just too high.

For the same reason, Chelsea boots are a loafer fit taken to a nightmareish level. So naturally, I ordered a pair and hoped like hell they'd fit. :-)

In this case, I was encouraged by the fit of my Anthony Cleverley Cameron Oxfords. As with my Vass shoes, there seemed to be just a bit more than average instep allowance. They arrived (from the LeatherSoul sale), and I still half-expected the worst. But man, they fit like a dream! Must sacrifice a chicken to the shoe gods.

My thanks to my good friends at LeatherFoot here in Toronto, who provided a complimentary shine on these puppies even though they were purchased from a different retailer. The finish had been just a little flat, but that has been improved a good deal, particularly on the toe.

Without further babbling, here they are the Anthony Cleverley Rourkes:

Hosting provided by FotoTime

This may be owner bias talking, but do these boots have great lines, or what?

Hosting provided by FotoTime

Hosting provided by FotoTime

Hosting provided by FotoTime
post #18043 of 19222

Not a great lover of Chelsea boots, though I have at least one pair as a lazy slip on: I'm a bit like you, in that loafers tend to either be too sloppy in the heel or too tight in the forefoot, and it's hard to find a balance. Still, that's why I love single monks.

 

But as Chelsea boots go...those are absolutely stunning.  I love the shape and the medallion, but most of all, how they've made those panels of leather on the elastic like a lazyman.  I wonder if that also makes the sides less "sloppy", by having several smaller pieces of elastic rather than one big one?  

 

Anyway, great acquisition, Roger, those really are gorgeous.

post #18044 of 19222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Not a great lover of Chelsea boots, though I have at least one pair as a lazy slip on: I'm a bit like you, in that loafers tend to either be too sloppy in the heel or too tight in the forefoot, and it's hard to find a balance. Still, that's why I love single monks.

But as Chelsea boots go...those are absolutely stunning.  I love the shape and the medallion, but most of all, how they've made those panels of leather on the elastic like a lazyman.  I wonder if that also makes the sides less "sloppy", by having several smaller pieces of elastic rather than one big one?  

Anyway, great acquisition, Roger, those really are gorgeous.

I generally shy away from Chelseas since every pair I've owned had the elastic make that "ruffles" effect on the top after I think some of the elastic rip from the ends. I wonder if the leather pieces help prevent this from happening... If so, those are a nice pair to try. smile.gif
post #18045 of 19222
Quote:
Originally Posted by DpprDr View Post

I generally shy away from Chelseas since every pair I've owned had the elastic make that "ruffles" effect on the top after I think some of the elastic rip from the ends. I wonder if the leather pieces help prevent this from happening... If so, those are a nice pair to try. smile.gif

To the contrary...the leather pieces restrict the ability of the elastic to stretch and/or stretch evenly and, as a result, more stress is placed on the bits in-between. It's a good look and one that I have admired for a long time but it doesn't help the elastic or its longevity.

Parenthetically...and probably because they were bespoke--made for me and my particular foot...I have a pair of whole cut Chelseas that fit like a glove all the way up over the instep. I believe that any bespoke maker could accomplish that, whereas RTW is going to be more concerned with getting you into the boot first (first impressions make the sale) and would necessarily open up the gore a bit and probably even allow more room in the throat and over the instep.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II