or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II - Page 1189

post #17821 of 19573
I don't buy the toe tap rubber sole bullshit. Oak bark or bust.
post #17822 of 19573
While I don't like topying my shoes, I do try to get flush toe taps if possible. I wear my toes hard, and it can look unsightly from the front of the shoe. I don't like topying as I figure my soles can last a couple years before a resole, and I figure after a decade of resoles my tastes will have changed, and new shoes will replace the old. 
post #17823 of 19573
I'd add steel toe taps on all soles, even rubber ones, if it were only possible. That's the area I've a talent for destroying first.
post #17824 of 19573
Toe taps but no Topys. I'm brutal on the toes of shoes frown.gif
post #17825 of 19573

Got my first pair of Sutor Mantellassi shoes recently and I'm very impressed!

 

 

Click the pic for more pics and a review.

post #17826 of 19573
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

TheWraith, I totally agree, not a place to get elegant shoes, it's designed for orthodontics

 

You mean orthotics. I'm not sure I'd buy shoes from an orthodontist.  :p

post #17827 of 19573
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

You mean orthotics. I'm not sure I'd buy shoes from an orthodontist.  tongue.gif
Maybe he kicks peoples teeth in with them biggrin.gif
post #17828 of 19573
That settles it, then. I'll just slap some steel toe taps on all of my shoes and call it good. Thanks for the input. I admit, I'd miss the click-clack of leather soles down the halls at work if I added topy.
post #17829 of 19573
Cross post from Carmina thread

My first Carmina's



post #17830 of 19573
And these...
post #17831 of 19573
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyWellSpent View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

TheWraith, I totally agree, not a place to get elegant shoes, it's designed for orthodontics

You mean orthotics. I'm not sure I'd buy shoes from an orthodontist.  tongue.gif

biggrin.gif
post #17832 of 19573
Navy cordovan brogue boots arrived from New York a few days ago. Making a long story short: blob-like but close-fitting last, weak stiffeners on heel and toe, poor lasting around heel, a few unpunched brogue holes, some stitchings askew, true Made in India quality but at least the Horween cordovan is the real McCoy. A decent find on eBay but (was) not worth the trouble at full prices. The last has a close fit around the ball of foot, elsewhere I'd say it's an X; not large enough to size up but will need thick socks or separate insoles. The navy shade is a cold one instead of the usual dark blue.

Preview:
10851361323_cb197b0f79_o.jpg

The rest are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/qelsem/sets/72157637657582685/
post #17833 of 19573
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRaivio View Post

Navy cordovan brogue boots arrived from New York a few days ago. Making a long story short: blob-like but close-fitting last, weak stiffeners on heel and toe, poor lasting around heel, a few unpunched brogue holes, some stitchings askew, true Made in India quality but at least the Horween cordovan is the real McCoy. A decent find on eBay but (was) not worth the trouble at full prices. The last has a close fit around the ball of foot, elsewhere I'd say it's an X; not large enough to size up but will need thick socks or separate insoles. The navy shade is a cold one instead of the usual dark blue.

Preview:
10851361323_cb197b0f79_o.jpg

The rest are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/qelsem/sets/72157637657582685/

After you trudge around in the Finnish snow for a few hours they might be more comfortable/fit better.
post #17834 of 19573
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger View Post

well, I do to some of my shoes, because due to the way I walk, I tend to tick my toe sometimes on the uneven pavement tiles on the CBD streets, and the topy will open up.

A toe tap will pretty much stop toe kicking, as the metal tap creates a small gap.

Happens all the time after wear. I sometimes use a tap with regularly worn shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr monty View Post

all of the above plus 60s and 70s

Ageless cohort.
post #17835 of 19573
$6.40 later, I have metal taps at the toe on one pair. Now, I sound like I'm walking around the halls at work in hobnail boots.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II